• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Odd question about...On base parking!

Hatchet Man said:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._887/

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/G-6/page-1.html

And since it's pertinent, the saying "ignorance is no excuse" well that is actually codified into the NDA

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/N-5/page-25.html#h-51

Thanks a quick review does not show a link to the RO. A RO would not be a regulation as that requires a OIC. It would have to be a contravention of a order given by someone who designated by a section in one of the Acts to create such an order. Any chance someone can post an image of what a ticket issued against a breech of a RO looks like? I am curious about the wording.

CDNAIRFORCE said:
If there was ever a thread that pointed out how Cold Lake, despite its issues, is not so bad in certain ways ......
Yes, but I've also seen you Air Force people sauntering across hallowed ground parade squares!  :o

;)

I wasn't going to join this thread, but the fetish for backing in all vehicles, all the time, actually has an operational origin. We used to believe in "crashing out" of a hide or harbour and that necessitated a) having backed every vehicle into position, and b) by extension, knowing how to back up.

We took a lot of measures, even in mechanized units which still had 100+ wheeled vehicles, many (most?) with trailers, to convince soldiers to learn how to back into position and how to back up their trailers. I, for example, when I was a regimental CO, adopted a technique from a chum and held little "backing rodeos" before major exercise: soldiers who could not back their vehicle and trailer into (not too difficult) slots could not have the trailer (hard on creature comforts) or were given considerable extra training, in their 'free' time.

Back in the last century we tried to make backing into parking spots 'normal' for all vehicles, all the time. The aim  was to make it automatic for soldiers, not something about which one had to think ~ a sort of mental 'muscle memory' thing.

E.R. Campbell said:
I wasn't going to join this thread, but the fetish for backing in all vehicles, all the time, actually has an operational origin. We used to believe in "crashing out" of a hide or harbour and that necessitated a) having backed every vehicle into position, and b) by extension, knowing how to back up.

We took a lot of measures, even in mechanized units which still had 100+ wheeled vehicles, many (most?) with trailers, to convince soldiers to learn how to back into position and how to back up their trailers. I, for example, when I was a regimental CO, adopted a technique from a chum and held little "backing rodeos" before major exercise: soldiers who could not back their vehicle and trailer into (not too difficult) slots could not have the trailer (hard on creature comforts) or were given considerable extra training, in their 'free' time.

Back in the last century we tried to make backing into parking spots 'normal' for all vehicles, all the time. The aim  was to make it automatic for soldiers, not something about which one had to think ~ a sort of mental 'muscle memory' thing.

Thanks for that ERC.  I guess old habits die hard.  At the same time, this, if you look at it, was a Drill to teach members an instinctive reaction to a common 'task/occurance'.

>:D

I wonder if I could ask Max and CDNAIRFORCE if they back their aircraft into Hangars, or hardened shelters, or just 'drive' them in?

;D

QRA hangars I've seen are all "pass-through", so no backing.  Only RCAF aircraft I know of that can be (and sometimes is) backed up into a parking spot  is a Chinook...which happens to comply with Petawawa's "all CFRs will back in to parking spots" policy (which is a BComd order, BTW -- maptac'd onto the MSE Safety desk so you can't miss it when you clear in to the base.). Technically, there's no reason that C-17s, Hercs, Auroras and Buffaloes couldn't also back into their spots, but I've only seen them back up on runways at airshows.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
QRA hangars I've seen are all "pass-through", so no backing.  Only RCAF aircraft I know of that can be (and sometimes is) backed up into a parking spot  is a Chinook...which happens to comply with Petawawa's "all CFRs will back in to parking spots" policy (which is a BComd order, BTW -- maptac'd onto the MSE Safety desk so you can't miss it when you clear in to the base.). Technically, there's no reason that C-17s, Hercs, Auroras and Buffaloes couldn't also back into their spots, but I've only seen them back up on runways at airshows.

Regards
G2G

My apologies.  I was taking a narrow minded reminisce of my CFE days with the hardened shelters for fighters, and the Alert hangars/shelters, forgetting the problems faced with smaller hangars and larger tails on some of the larger transports and Maritime surveillance aircraft.

Back