• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Not disgruntled.Just time has come after years of thinking.

X-mo-1979

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently a Mcpl in a combat unit based out of Petawawa.Unlike many people who O.T or get out of the military I am very happy in my current position.Infact there are people who wish they could be in my position right now,and all the pieces really have fell in my puzzle for the past few years.

However now with a family I am starting to look at life a lot different.And FOR ME  I don't wish to continue on my current career path.There have been times in the past where I have been so angry with the loss of certain equipment in our trade,or general B/S that I'm sure happens in everywhere that I just out of desperation put my memo in.

However everytime I got onto the Borden list the carrot was dangled.Things got better.And suddenly I forgot why I would EVERY want to leave!Now 7 years later the LOTP is no longer applicable and I will have to apply under COTP.

Now apparently our trade is "red" however I read in another OT topic here that COTP bi passes the manning problems.
Just seeking clarification on that.

Also if the OT process doesn't work out I am hoping to be a civilian by 2010.Which isn't far away when you factor in a tour and work up training.Having said that I will not be going after a glamorous job that all those people who usually say their getting out go for. I want to weld.

Does anyone know of a place in Petawawa or surround area that offers a after work/flexable "ticket" program?I had one picked out in New Brunswick,however was posted before I could start.I have only found one in Petawawa but it is only a "hobby"welding program.Or any other construction type trade in the area.

However who knows that book I'm writing may get me enough to go to school and retire early.  ;D.

Good luck to you - MANY, MANY fine Cbt Arms soldiers before you have gone the same route - and nobody thought anything about it.

I'm too far out of date now (out five years a couple of weeks ago) to answer any policy questions for you - no doubt someone more current than I will be along shortly with up to date answers for you.

As far as welding goes - what's wrong with that?  I got out and became a Cabinetmaker - and I'm loving it.

X-Mo: Make sure you read all the fine print before making any changes.  I know of one fine gentleman who underwent an OT and overlooked the fact that he would revert in rank - on a voluntary OT and NCM goes to Cpl, an officer to Capt if they held higher rank.  And your pay is not protected.

As Roy said, switching trades is a good thing for the Army and CF writ large.  Having the experience as a combat arms soldier and leader will help in your new trade - you'll have the first hand knowledge of how the support function contributes (and, if you're like me, you'll have a t least one head-slapping moment when you re-live an experience on the other side).

It's true you are not pay protected on VOT, but be smart and VOT to a Spec trade, and you will quickly make up for the loss of pay/rank

I'm not telling,

Please take that information to PM.

The Army.ca Staff

Back