• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New RMC duty dress?

loyalist

Inactive
Reaction score
For those of you who don't know, the current RMC duty dress (winter) is a distinctive RMC uniform of blue pants with red stripes and suspenders, a whte shirt(navy), black tie (navy/air force), KP (wedge-like dark blue forage cap made of thicker wool and a chin strap), boots or oxfords and a 1949-pattern battle blouse (blue) with squadron and class insignia on the shoulder of the sleeve with rank (bars) on the shoulder. Gloves (standard CF dress issue), either summer or winter, a black navy overcoat and astrokhan are all options during the winter  In the summer, a shirt sleeve navy shirt with epaullettes carry the class/squadron insignia and RMC rank, KP, ceremonial tri-colour belt are worn.

Recently, proposals have been put forward for changes to the RMC duty dress for purposes of svaing on dry-cleaning and CF integration. The options have been CADPAT (worn about once weekly as it is), DEU's (worn about once a week), a replacement for the battle blouse, or a washable, Australian-style uniform distinctive to RMC.

As reg force/reserve personnel (cadets, sorry, im looking for a particular viewpoint and if any of you have questions, PM me, please) and what do you tink of RMC having a distinctive uniform and what would be your preferred course-of-action?

The argument against that is that it would encourage divisions between the various elements at the college - one of the main reasons for having a distinctive RMC uniform. Also, it is not very popular wtih cadets as we'd have to bear dry-cleaning costs off our own salaries - which, as net salaries, aren't spectaculr to begin.

I like the current duty dress the way it is. Yes, it does cost a little more in dry cleaning, but that would be just the battle blouses, b/c we'd need to keep the pants anyways for wear with scarlets and patrol blues.
The college should just build its own dry cleaning facility, IMO ;D

As future leaders, I don't see a problem with you bearing the cost of dry cleaning. The rest of us already have to, with the loss of the clothing upkeep allowance.

Lets keep in mind that Privates are expected to purchase their own accoutrements (100-170$) and maintain all of their uniforms and equipment as well on a "less than spectacular salary"

In what regiment are Privates purchasing $100-170 in accoutrements? And what are they buying? I known the The RCR every new soldier is given his (her) first set.

There are other regiments?  ;D

All new Patricias must purchase their own, and they are'nt the polishable brass ones either, they are the crappy anodized ones.

Add it in with the mandatory PT gear, and it is not uncommon to see brand new troops being hit up for $200-plus by the ever-benevolent regimental "family".

Sorry Hammy, but it's true.

Michael O'Leary said:
In what regiment are Privates purchasing $100-170 in accoutrements? And what are they buying? I known the The RCR every new soldier is given his (her) first set.
Not unusual for many Ptes in the Units to make purchases that size in the Kit Shops, especially in winter, buying Regimental accoutrements and PT Gear.

I was surprised to see Ptes spend up to $250 at a shot in the Kit Shop.

Voluntary purcahses are one thing, my question was addressing required items, such as DEU accoutrements.

how does wearing DEU's save on dry cleaning?  Do you not dry clean your RMC uniforms?  We did when I was there.

short, as of 1 Jan 06, RMC dry cleaning no longer accepts anything DEU (save for the CMC (navy) great coat. Therefore, the cost of dry cleaning DEU items now falls onto the individual OCdt.

All new Patricias must purchase their own, and they are'nt the polishable brass ones either, they are the crappy anodized ones.

They are brass but not the good stuff we use to get. All New Patricia's are given a Brass cap badge and a Regimental Coin but everything else is bought.

Such items that young Pte's buy are  there regiment insignia  on there belts.  I had to buy one, regimental t-shirts for PT, regimental shorts,  running pants and  sweater.  You are not forced with a  gun to your head  but it is very strongly encouraged to buy it.

The Fighting 47th said:
Therefore, the cost of dry cleaning DEU items now falls onto the individual OCdt.
You mean just like it does for all other Officers/NCMs of the CF?

GO!!! said:
There are other regiments?  ;D

Add it in with the mandatory PT gear, and it is not uncommon to see brand new troops being hit up for $200-plus by the ever-benevolent regimental "family".

Sorry Hammy, but it's true.
Well the RCRs, at least the ones in this location, are issued their first set of PT gear through their QM.

Daidalous said:
Such items that young Pte's buy are  there regiment insignia  on there belts.  I had to buy one, regimental t-shirts for PT, regimental shorts,   running pants and  sweater.   You are not forced with a  gun to your head   but it is very strongly encouraged to buy it.

::) You have a gift for understatement.

A full set of accoutrements includes;

Cap Badge
Collar dogs (2)
Shoulder tabs (2)
Lg Buttons (4)
Small Buttons (4)
Ceremonial Regimental Belt buckle

PT Gear includes;
Regimental T-shirt, Shorts, Sweater, Sweatpants. The T-shirts at the 3VP canteen are 18-26$, and the track suit is 60-100, depending on which one you buy. But the Para coy got a free hat!  :)

It is not alot of $ in the big scheme of things ($200), but it is often being asked of brand new privates, who are busy trying to establish spouses and kids in new homes, in a new city and out of their first Private IPC 1 paycheque.

So yes, I think it is the Regiment cashing in where they should not be. In the past it was justified with the CUA, but that is gone now.

GO!!! said:
::) You have a gift for understatement.
He certainly does...and Daidalous, I'm very interested to hear just what Regiment this was. Certainly not 8 Wg Sup Sqn.
GO!!! said:
A full set of accoutrements includes;
Cap Badge
Collar dogs (2)
Shoulder tabs (2)
Lg Buttons (4)
Small Buttons (4)
Ceremonial Regimental Belt buckle
Go, I'm curious as to exactly which items above your Unit personnel have to purchase. The first 3 you have listed are issued by Clothing Stores. CUA disappearing plays no role, as these items are also exchangeable.
As to the last 3 you have listed, again they are optional (as the standard Army Lions, Air Eagles and Naval Anchors/DEU belt are issued) but as Daidalous puts it "strongly encouraged."
GO!!! said:
PT Gear includes;
Regimental T-shirt, Shorts, Sweater, Sweatpants. The T-shirts at the 3VP canteen are 18-26$, and the track suit is 60-100, depending on which one you buy. But the Para coy got a free hat!  :)
As I said before, the RCRs here have their first set issued to them and buy relacements after that. In Pet, and here, I was also issued my first set of "madatory PT Gear" through my QM and had to purchase replacements as required.
CUA was never intended for PT gear (it was strictly to purchase DEU uniforms IAW CFAOs) so if that's what your Unit was quoting as their reasoning for NOT issuing (at least a 1st set) PT gear they considered 'mandatory', your Unit was way off the mark.

armyvern said:
Well the RCRs, at least the ones in this location, are issued their first set of PT gear through their QM.
That may be true of that Unit.  Not all Units do the same.  The RCR and PPCLI also require all their members to pay Regimental Dues, which I would imagine with time would far out do the cost that RMC Cadets may be complaining about.

Yes, Clothing Stores do issue many of these accoutrement's to members.  In the RCD, for instance, there is the Cap Badge issued by Clothing Stores that a new RCD may receive on Grad Parade, and the much better quality one that he will buy in the Kit Shop to bring to a highly polished shine.  In most cases, individuals must purchase a second set of accoutrement's, or more, to properly accessorize their uniforms.

When I first arrived at the RCD in Germany, the Regiment was 'wealthy' and I got a free initial issue of Regimental accoutrement's.  That practice no longer exists.  Other Regiments are much the same.  They do not compell their members to pay monthly Regimental Dues, until they are Senior NCOs (voluntary payment) or Officers, as is the practice with the Infantry Regiments.

How times have changed - I remember when CMR installed washers & dryers in the shacks for the first time, ending the use of the laundry service for *all* laundry, not just dry cleaning. That was a great day, because although now we had to do our own laundry (chewing another chunk of time out of an already busy day) at least clothes didn't smell like diesel any more, and you could wash something more than 10 times before holes got eaten into it by cleaning solvents.

Interesting decision, that RMC dry cleaning won't do CFs any more - what's the justification there? It's not like CFs get worn very often. The only time I wore mine was on summer courses.

GO, going from MilCol OCdt to no-hook Pte was a *huge* pay raise. In my day, OCdts got paid next to nothing.

As far as the dress goes, I think it's totally necessary to keep a distinctive Cadet dress.

DG

George Wallace said:
The RCR and PPCLI also require all their members to pay Regimental Dues, which I would imagine with time would far out do the cost that RMC Cadets may be complaining about.
George, from my understanding of how the College is working at the moment, our dry cleaning is being paid for out of our mess dues, which at $50/month, covers a lot of ground. What is interesting is the fact that RMC is saying we can still dry clean for free the stuff we wear all the time but the uniform we rarely wear, no. It simply does not make sense.

Army Vern

I had to buy these items when I was in the Reserves.  G&SF Barrie.

We did not buy any collar dogs, large or small buttons, because they were issued to us with are uniform, and it was not strongly recommend to buy.

Back