• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Air Divison?

Jorkapp

Inactive
Reaction score
I've heard through the grapevine that a new air division will be standing up soon. I've not found anything from official sources (AF DWAN page pulls up nothing through searches, no mention of it in CANFORGEN/AIRGEN's), the most I found was a CF Aerospace Warfare blog posting (link) which says that it's creation is "imminent". Does anyone know anything more about this?

If and when any new formations are created in the ECSes it will be fully communicated.  Until there's MND signature on Ministerial Organizational Orders it's suppostion and possibly contingency planning.

It may be as "imminent" as your Retirement, in that it is talked about, and in ten or twenty years it may come about.

I am in a unit whose "imminent restructure" was supposed to take place three years ago.  Still nothing in the wind officially. 

2 Canadian Air Division will be stood up this summer under BGen Pitre.  His new CAD will encompass all pre-wings training elements in the AF.  2 CFFTS, 3 CFFTS, CFANs, and CFSSAT will all fall under his OPCon.  15 Wing will take over the training units in entirety (17 Wing loses 50% of its unit strength).

Thanks for the info Zoomie. Will CFSACO by jumping over to 2CAD as well?

I wouldn't be surprised if Cornwall fell under 2CAD.  I am thinking that all AF trades that are pre-operational in their status will fall under this new division.

So there will be 2 can div flying orders. Wow, more reading! Sounds like CFSSAR will switch too?

On the plus side, it will be years before the 2 CAD orders swell to the size of the 1 CAD orders, which will, of course, no longer be on our quarterly reading list  >:D

From the Air Force website today:

Air Force to regroup training establishment

The Air Force is realigning its structure by establishing a second air division headquarters, which will be located near 1 Canadian Air Division Headquarters in Winnipeg.

"The creation of 2 Canadian Air Division/Air Force Doctrine and Training Division will regroup the majority of Air Force training, education and lessons learned functions into one formation, which will allow a better focus on doctrine, training and associated support at this crucial time in our history," said Lieutenant-General Angus Watt, Chief of the Air Staff. "The reorganization of existing resources into two formations will allow 1 Canadian Air Division to enhance its focus on Air Force operations at home and abroad."

A brigadier-general will command 2 Canadian Air Division/Air Force Doctrine and Training Division (AFDTDiv), which is expected to be operational by summer 2009.

The commander of 2 Canadian Air Division/AFDTDiv will be responsible for Air Force training establishments at 15 Wing Moose Jaw, Sask.; 16 Wing Borden, Ont.; an Air Force Training Centre at 17 Wing Winnipeg (comprising several Air Force schools and related training institutions); the Air Command Academy at Borden; and, the Canadian Forces Aerospace Warfare Centre in Trenton, Ont.

The Air Force's ability to be a "learning organization" while continuing to generate forces for operations will be significantly improved through this realignment of already existing resources.

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/news_e.asp?id=8816

A question:  Why aren't the sqns that train on specific platforms under the new Div?  Wouldn't it make sense to have trainees under 2 CAD until they are operationally employable?

Or are there nuances to the Air Force that I'm missing?

dapaterson said:
A question:  Why aren't the sqns that train on specific platforms under the new Div?  Wouldn't it make sense to have trainees under 2 CAD until they are operationally employable?

I can't speak for the other Sqns, but 403, under 1 Wing (which falls under 1 Cdn Air Div) is also expected to carry out certain operational requirements.  These can include, but are not limited to, SAR, domestic ops, support to Army exercises and high readiness training, etc.  To have 403 fall under the new 2 Cdn Air Div would mean a very convoluted process to get them to carry out any type of support or operational role as all requests for CH146 support come through 1 Wing.

The Sqn's main purpose may be to train pilots and flight engineers on the aircraft but they still have operationally capable members who can deploy, unlike those at 2 and 3 CFFTS, who would be required to retrain on an operational aircraft before they could go anywhere.

So I can assume we just doubled our air strength??

Because it couldn't be just to make new cosy positions with nice titles for a lot of folks in these tough economic times,.........could it?

It's PY neutral Bruce.

As to the previous comment - this Division is focused on undergraduate trades training.  Personnel posted to squadrons have undergone the training required to become MOSID qualified.  All future qualifications are considered a part of their OJT package.

dapaterson said:

And to amplify what Strike posted, often the OTUs share aircraft in a pool with the operational squadrons.  It would be a bloody mess trying to sort that out with two separate Air Divisions in play.  It is easier and doctrinally much more consistent (I never thought I would ever accuse the Air Force of that!) to have 1 Division concerned only with operations (and training people for operational life) and 2 Division concerned only with ab initio training and doctrine.  Provided scope creep doesn't rear it's ugly head.

Back