• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need help on school project

outoftowner

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok it is due friday so I only have tonight and tomorrow night to finish this but it is easy.(sorry if wrong forum, move if needed). I have to do a school assignment about our future personal budget after we graduate from high school. So to take the easy road on this I said that i was going to join the army and chose the time of this assignment to be when I am shipped to another country, none of this has to happen but I am just choosing the easy road. Ok so I just need to know what some of the expenses are when you are over there (supposing I got shipped to afghanistan). I need at lest 10 expenses and supporting document for them (supporting document can be quotes from here). For this assignment I am supposing that when I go everything I have is payed off, i dont own a house, I am holding the insurance on my car (I'm pretty sure that I can do that, if not I am just saying my parents will cover it), an example would be like: Batteries for digital camera, 4$ a week. Beer when off duty(dont know the term for this) 10$ a week. And so on. So can anyone help?

Just out of curiosity, when were you given this assignment?

So to take the easy road on this I said that i was going to join the army and chose the time of this assignment to be when I am shipped to another country, none of this has to happen but I am just choosing the easy road.

so you want us to do your homework for you?  :-\

Michael O`Leary said:
Just out of curiosity, when were you given this assignment?
Probably more than two days ago  ;)
Lil_T said:
so you want us to do your homework for you?   :-\
Welcome to my world!

uuuugghhh.    to quote my 12 year old - "that is so not cool"

I wish there was beer for when I was off duty.... oh wait, we spend the whole tour on "duty" minus HLTA time.

I meant easy road as in if i was overseas I wouldnt have to worry about apartment rent, buying clothes, water bills, tv bills and stuff like that, and this is happening as if i joined right after high school. We started this last week and suddenly now i though army.ca could help me on this. And no i'm not asking you to do my homework for me I just need what the thing is, and what it'll cost. Then I have to put that in a budget and do taxes on it and see if it can even fit in my budget. I'm just about done I just need like 3 more.

If you're overseas (and I'm assuming you have more stuff than what you can fit in a few suitcases) then you'll still need to pay rent for wherever your stuff is.  I'm not sure how it works if you're in Single Quarters, but just b/c you're deployed doesn't mean you can stop paying rent/utilities!  ::)

Thats what makes this overseas part of this assignment so easy, i'm just saying i'm going to put my stuff/car in a heated mini storage cubicle and pay the rent on that.

You have many expenses when your over seas

Clothes - You dont expect to always wear the same thing
Food - many times you will be eating off base , possibly if your like posted in germany
REnt: you will still have to keep the stuff you own somewhere, you may be paying for like storage or something
Transportation: You will be moving a lot of places and the army will not always cover you
Communications: assuming you have family or friends you will have to pay for phone cards or long distance fees to talk to them, or possibly internet

The list goes on..but isent this suppose to be your homework :)

Thanks, on average what would some of those things cost you a month? Thanks for those.

outoftowner said:
Thanks, on average what would some of those things cost you a month? Thanks for those.

It really depends on your taste.
For example clothing will depend on your style. If you like wearing high end clothes, dress shoes, dress pants, you can expect to spend a lot more than a person who just wears jeans and a tshirt.

Communications will also depends really, factors come into play. How much do you talk on the phone? How long distance is the destination your trying to call? What kind of phone plan do you have? What kind of internet plan?

Food is also another shady area because everyone eats different things and different amounts. Where will you be eating? Will you be eating more than 3 meals a day? Will you be buying your food and cooking it?

Same for transportation. Will you be traveling a lot? Will you use a bus or a taxi? How far will you travel?

These are really questions you have to ask your self. A teacher gives students assignments so they can use there mind and think. The point of homework is to expand YOUR brain, not ours. Im sure many here on army.ca are more than willing to help you but we want you to actually use the education system to its advantage. The only way to do that is to work hard, use your mind to brainstorm and only ask for assistance when you REALLY need it.

Cheers

Ok that makes more sense, i'm more of a jeans and a t-shirt guy so that makes things a bit cheeper. I'll find out long distance rates from germany and figure out a number for that. And i'll figure out a number for food. Thanks guys!

outoftowner said:

That depends where you are in the country....what I pay for 2 weeks of groceries might not even come close to what someone else in the same situation.

Point to note.  The last time I was there you could not call collect to numbers out side of Germany.  You had to use calling cards or stuff coins into the pay phone.

Keep in mind that when expenses are added and thought of that members overseas (Lets Say AFGH) recieve allowances as well as pay.  Depending on their spending routine they can come out ahead.  I was on a tour, and on top of all of my spending I had enought money left over to pay for a car downpayment when I got home.

I know the homework deadline is coming, but throw a twist and say you come out with a profit after spending. 

Another note.... there is a tims, and burger king, among other facilities KAF.  You can spend or save just like you are at home....depends on your habits.

Ok thanks guys I got all the info I need and am hoping for an A. Next time i will contact army.ca sooner lol.

PuckChaser said:
I wish there was beer for when I was off duty.... oh wait, we spend the whole tour on "duty" minus HLTA time.

Hahaha, reminds me of something my father always said whenever I asked about his Special Service Medal: "We were awarded this medal for sitting in a bar in Germany and getting as drunk as we could."

Back