• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCI OP vs NES OP

Ok folks, here is the scoop. I am the Chief Sonar Op for Can Fleet Pac. I don't have any issues with folks describing trade related items, ie: what a Sonar Op does compared to what an NCIOP. I also don't have an issue with discussing ASW issues; however, what I and some others have issues with, and rightly so, is the fact some of the conversations were getting into current/recent exercises and specific details about them, this is sensitive info that should not be passed through an open forum. Additionally, other comments like the current status of shipboard equipment/systems, and related restrictions, is also sensitive in nature and should not be discussed in an open forum. If my original post sounded a little "over the top" sorry about that, but I take OPSEC very seriously.

If anyone of the sonar trade wishes to discuss current ASW issues such as ASW or sensor issues, please don't hesitate to contact me in the office, or drop by.

Thanks

CPO2 Main
Chief Sonar Op
CFP

If you have OPSEC concerns please report them promptly to a mod so we can sort it out quickly.

Regards

CSONAR and I are in direct contact.  We disagree with each other.  The exercise that I was on involved our aircraft and USN submarines.  It was conducted on a plain voice net with much more information, than I posted, transmitted on plain voice.  I would have happily posted the whole article in a newspaper telling folks what an Aurora can do.  As to the rank, I was once a MWO too and I have flown over 5000 hours in the Aurora.  I know what I can and cannot post.  Too many times in our community we hide our role and training.  I believe we have to sell ourselves when given the opportunity.  We conduct successfully counter narcotics patrols, we find and track friendly and foreign submarines, we surveille the Arctic.  We look for and find illegal immigrants.  We are developing technology and tactics to allow us to fly overland in support of land units.  If information is not designated protected or classified, it can be discussed.  It can be accessed by the public.  If we all stop telling our "stories",  then we don't enjoy this forum.  I will continue to post anecdotes as appropriate. 

Cheers :salute:
SHF

Thank you for the update SHF, now we can get back to the original topic.

Well I want to thank everybody in this thread, you have given me a better insight in the 3 operators trade, so my choice is pretty much done and set for NES op.

I just hope I can make it back in the regular forces before they amalgate the operators trade

The only good thing I can see coming out of amalgamation is the the NES OP's will be doing AREPS again. If the two trades do amalgamate what happens to spec pay? Do we lose it until the higher ups decide what criteria is required to give it to the new trade. Right now both trades get spec 1, but at different levels, NESOPs get it at the Leading Seaman QL5 level and NCIOPs get it at he Master Seaman PLQ level. Interesting to see how that works out in the future. Hey SHF, I was curious how many gerbils does it take to turn the props on an Aurora anyway? Just kidding, I used to have a neighbor who flew Auroras out of Greenwood as an AESOP. Her and her husband were good people. I am off to the field for a week of fun and activities with the recruits, talk to you all later.
Ciao
Marc :cdn:

HFXCrow said:
AREPS are radars and NCI OPS should keep them!!!

Yeah and when's the last time anyone changed those AREPS slides anyway (just kidding!).

M Feetham said:
The only good thing I can see coming out of amalgamation is the the NES OP's will be doing AREPS again. If the two trades do amalgamate what happens to spec pay? Do we lose it until the higher ups decide what criteria is required to give it to the new trade. Right now both trades get spec 1, but at different levels, NESOPs get it at the Leading Seaman QL5 level and NCIOPs get it at he Master Seaman PLQ level. Interesting to see how that works out in the future. Hey SHF, I was curious how many gerbils does it take to turn the props on an Aurora anyway? Just kidding, I used to have a neighbor who flew Auroras out of Greenwood as an AESOP. Her and her husband were good people. I am off to the field for a week of fun and activities with the recruits, talk to you all later.
Ciao
Marc :cdn:

I don't think the spec pay thing is a big deal.  From the sounds of it the junior amalgamated operators won't be choosing the trade they go into, necessarily.  After their QL4 OJT they will write an aptitude test, and be funnelled into the appropriate stream (which, of course, may be more influenced by needs of the Forces rather than aptitude test results, but it doesn't matter in the end).  I suspect that it also wouldn't take much to give QL5 LS NCIOPs spec 1 to fall in line with the other two operators.  Sonar is also spec 1 at QL5A LS.

S McPhee said:
So how many NES OPs are "assigned" to a ship vs NCI OPs?

While with some research you could find this info online one should never ask this kind of questions as it borders in the OPSEC realm.

I been looking at these two careers plus now NAVCOMM. I am somewhat Color Blind. Will I have a harder time getting into thee careers?

mmike said:
Im an nci op, all I can say is stay away.

How about you make that comment more useful and provide reasons why. "stay away" being your opinion only, what you dont like about the trade might be attractive to someone else.

mmike said:
Im an nci op, all I can say is stay away.

And with that attitute thats is why the trade or any other trade has to borrow from other ships.....

mmike said:
Let him search like I had to do.

if you read his other posts you would see he has been and is genuinely interested in doing something in the navy....I hope you don't have subordinates. if you do I pity them.

leadership goes both ways....are you providing a good example by asking to go to PT everyday? Are you going to the gym on your off time when you sail? Are you asking your junior bodies to accompany you?

Back