• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navistar awarded 1300 truck contract

Colin - WRT the fabrication of cargo beds, etc.... the specific truck is already in production and parts are all lined up... the only thing we would accomplish with subcontracting something that is already on hand is:
- additional cost
- additional time
- additional headaches

Geo
I agree, however politics sometimes rears it's ugly head and needs a bone thrown to it. I figured something fairly simple and straightforward as a cargo bed might be a candidate for the bone, not to mention the rest of the truck could be completed and shipped in the bed productions was somewhat delayed.

It wasn't all that long ago that the CF bought a bunch of 8 ton trucks for the Engineer units.
The buckets were installed afterwards - problem was, the pivot point was wrong.... in the end, I think their delivery to the units was delayed by over 1 year.

geo said:
It wasn't all that long ago that the CF bought a bunch of 8 ton trucks for the Engineer units.
The buckets were installed afterwards - problem was, the pivot point was wrong.... in the end, I think their delivery to the units was delayed by over 1 year.

Ah yes the Green Sterling Militia Dump Trucks  ;D

Them's the ones sapper.
Not a bad truck.... just not a great truck.
Wonder what modification # they are up to by now ?

Tell you the truth geo, I don't really want to know....

Now if we could get the beefier ones that SPV use in Gagetown I would be happy.

They have a number of good mods on them. Like a longer ladder to access the box and a duel locking mechanism on the tail gate.

Army News has a two part report on the New MILCOT MLVW replacement.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=3369 Part 1
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=3370 Part 2

Some info on the trucks:

3 seater
2 up front 1 in back
full sized seats too
am/fm/cd
catwalk in the middle of the traps
HLVW tyres
10000lbs payload (5 tons)
dealer maintained for the life of the vehicle
6 variants
cargo w/troop lift
cargo w/crane
QM truck
cargo w/flat deck
arty tractor (all pers will travel in cab, so cab extended 6 ft)
Engr Sect Veh
no armoured cabs

Engr section vehicle!
Are they going to do a crewcab for the SEV? That would be real nice ;)
HIAB or Auger on the SEV?

Auger

EDITED TO ADD

Don't think the section will be in the cab geo.

The arty one is made for 6 troops only.

I have a powerpoint that shows the layout of the new Milcots. It looks to me like the CEV will have the same extended cab as the Artillery Gun Tractor.

That means 4 guys in the back, plus 3 up front for 7 total.

Damned thing is HUGE !! MLVW was 279 inches overall length. this thing is 425 Inches long. try getting that into an armoury!! BTW the arty config can hold 6 in the back for total of 9. will need an intercom to call "Halt action rear!" ;D

Uh-oh...

Does it have a dual 12-24 electrical system? Because that's the impression I got from the video... a system which has been nothing but a hassle with the LUVW...

Have they added anything along the lines of a roll cage for the troop carry version?

Does anybody have any pics of the new gun tractor. Tried finding some but no luck (must be looking with my eyes closed)

if you have acces to the DIN do a search for OPTIMIZED_MSVS1
This is a Powerpoint of the new vehicle with instructions on how they'll be issued out.

Thanks a lot Geo.

I'm just wondering how good it will work when we get out in the field  ???

Well.... it's a milcot - but I have seen some really good commercial rigs that take a licking and keep on ticking on construction & logging sites.  But I do not think we can expect them to survive for as long as the Government might think of making em last.....like another 30 years.

The GMC 2 1/2s lasted some 30 years (52-82)
The MLVWs have lasted some 27 years (82-09)

Without anything to back it up (other than Exp in equipment acquisition for Domtar logging) I think they should do fine for +/- 12 yrs....

Back