• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Mess Dress

Hey Sailing is your unit H.M.C.S Chippawa in Winnipeg and if it is then what is your rank?  Just curious because I was interested in joining.

Mess dress- If you have a good tailor then a lot of these questions shouldn't need to be askeded. Call different tailors and ask them questions, they have made many and between a bunch of them you should be able to get most of your answers. Just get doeskin, not that cheap barethea (sp?) it may be heavier and more expensive at some tailors (but not all) but well worth it.

There is a goood tailor in Edmonton that the CFB Edmonton supply can give you the number for.. if in the area.

my 2 cents.. Naval female mess dress with the skirt (which is proper) is very good, good meaning sexxy, in a proffessional way.

Fair winds... MissHartie say hi to TEC from Staud for me.  Cheers   

Will do.  Anyone in particular?

- N'importe qui  ...XO mabey, cheers, Staud

Does anyone know the name of the company that supplies the gold trouser and cuff braid, and the gold "Canada" pathches; or a tailor that would be willing to sell them to me? The closer to Toronto the better. Thanks.

BQ

The 17 wing tailor orders from Claymore (clothes, or something like that) in BC.  Sorry I don't have the phone # anymore but I think they're the only company making the braid today.  Costs about $300 for the whole set:
-8 mess jacket buttons (2 of which link together)
-4 waistcoat buttons
-sleeve lace/badges (I got both cadet & Slt, though, so most persons' total would be less than $300)
-lengths trouser braid, for officers & CPO1
-2 CANADA shoulder titles

You might find some of these items at a military antiques store.  I've no clue as to whether it would be cheaper but if they are at least the same price it's better to use what's already manufactured.

Hi everyone!

I'm a naval CIC officer that does not have a mess kit yet, therefore I wear 2B dress for mess dinner. I was wondering what the name tag norm was more this order of dress. On the mess kit that are made, you should not wear a name tag, however with the service uniform jacket, was is the norm because everyone keeps on disagreeing on the norm. Should we keep our name tag or not.

Also, on the subject of mess dinner, I wanted to ask about the port wine tradition of sailors. I've heard that members of the navy must slide the port bottle on the table, and the Air Force member mustn't have the bottle touch the table. Can someone confirm the please!

Thank you kindly and have a great day!

I've always heard name tags off. The port bottle cannot touch the table at an Air Force mess dinner, can't say for sure about the Navy types.

2B is the only rig upon which nametags & undress ribbons are worn.  (I think this was a mishap in dress instructions.)

The navy's & army's port should be passed to the left any way you wish.  Perhaps the most important rule is that toasts mustn't be drunk with water (unless you want someone to drown, in which case it's perfectly acceptable).

For anyone interested... The tailor shop co-located with CANEX in Esquimalt is selling naval mess kit for 500.00 (I think that was the price).

Sailing Instructor said:
2B is the only rig upon which nametags & undress ribbons are worn.   (I think this was a mishap in dress instructions.)

The navy's & army's port should be passed to the left any way you wish.   Perhaps the most important rule is that toasts mustn't be drunk with water (unless you want someone to drown, in which case it's perfectly acceptable).

Actually, it is acceptable to toast with water nowadays because the Canadian Forces are not permitted to make you drink if you do not want to. My former Commanding Officer doesn't drink, and therefore she has always toasted with water.

I guess that you are correct about 2B being the only uniform that does not allow name tags, however, with the navy blue tunic, an officer or a NCM does wear the undress ribbon with number 3 dress (and they are also worn with 1D - summer white, however with undress ribbons).

Good day!

ctjj.stevenson said:
Actually, it is acceptable to toast with water nowadays because the Canadian Forces are not permitted to make you drink if you do not want to. My former Commanding Officer doesn't drink, and therefore she has always toasted with water.

And, hence, persons keep drowning.  It does not need to be liquor for a toast, just not water.  The army has permitted water toasts for a long while as drowning is not such a problem for them.

I guess that you are correct about 2B being the only uniform that does not allow name tags

2B is the only mess rig that does allow nametags & undress ribbons.

Sailing Instructor said:
And, hence, persons keep drowning. It does not need to be liquor for a toast, just not water. The army has permitted water toasts for a long while as drowning is not such a problem for them.

Sorry, I'm not going to equate drowning with using water to toast. Sure it's tradition for us in the Air Force to not let the decanter touch the table, but no one has crashed for putting it down.

Sailing Instructor said:
2B is the only mess rig that does allow nametags & undress ribbons.

Maybe it's just an Air Force thing, but when DEUs are worn as mess kit, name tags are not worn.

Sailing Instructor said:
And, hence, persons keep drowning.   It does not need to be liquor for a toast, just not water.   The army has permitted water toasts for a long while as drowning is not such a problem for them.

::)

Inch,

It's not just an Air Force thing; I've had to remove my name tag upon showing up at a mess dinner in my DEUs.

Miss Hardie

MissHardie said:
It's not just an Air Force thing; I've had to remove my name tag upon showing up at a mess dinner in my DEUs.

Agreed. I've been to about 50 mess dinners through out my career and never have I seen a name tag worn by members of any service. It was explained to me that if you wear a name tag, people wouldn't mingle as much. I guess it is a rule to encourage people to mingle.

So the rule that 2B includes nametags is contrary to tradition?  Is this an example of a typo no one has complained about yet?

Hopefully, I'll never have to wear 2B again, but if I do I'll be sure to remove my nametag.

On April 9th, I will get my complete copy of the CF dress regs. I guess that I will look it up in there to see what the regs are, and then I will not have the problem anymore.

I just don't understand why water is not okay for a toast. I've always noticed that if someone does not want port wine, then they give them water for the toast. I will ask around ... because I don't see why this will make sailors drown.

Good day!

ctjj.stevenson said:
On April 9th, I will get my complete copy of the CF dress regs. I guess that I will look it up in there to see what the regs are, and then I will not have the problem anymore.

By the book (and the book here is the version dated 2001-06-15, which I have in front of me) nametags are worn with 2B.  I've no way of verifying if that's been amended, or if it is just an oversight; both are possible.

[quote author=ctjj.stevenson]I just don't understand why water is not okay for a toast. I've always noticed that if someone does not want port wine, then they give them water for the toast. I will ask around ... because I don't see why this will make sailors drown.[/quote]

It's a naval supersition, perhaps not shared by other elements.

Back