• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Dress Questions

Eye In The Sky said:
I've never understood walking out dress.  The army and air force go home in their operational dress.

The Army did used to have walking out dress, but it was your dress when you went on course off base, not what you were required to wear home after work...

Jon

Eye In The Sky said:
I've never understood walking out dress.  The army and air force go home in their operational dress.

Half of my section leaves in PT gear.  They leave their uniforms in lockers at the hangar.

Dimsum said:
Half of my section leaves in PT gear.  They leave their uniforms in lockers at the hangar.

Oh, that's a no-no in the Ditch unless you are going to actually do PT.  ^-^  (now the *is it actually enforced* aspect is a different topic...).

You guys have sections?  Not in crews?

Chief Stoker said:
When the dress committee came out with all the new bling I really thought they were joking. Not all the bling is actually authorized officially or supported through clothing stores.

*THIS

I work in BLog Halifax right now. 

We do not have the ability to provide the 'bling' to any sailors here in Halifax.  Anyone who has it has either spent their own coin, or their unit has bought it. 

Esquimalt apparently did a one-time-buy of 'bling' but nothing sustained.

We do not have the new model uniforms, nor the crests, nor the time with the tailor to handle modifying all of the uniforms currently available.

Some ships have been having their deck departments work on this as a solution.

In direct discussion with my unit Chief (BLog Halifax Cox'n) we are not (and I am not) wearing the new layout of 'bling' until it is available for general issue to all the troops.  I have specifically ordered my sailors not to modify their uniform, nor to spend their own money on buying the flags/bling/etc.

The Tailor in Dockyard turns away 3-5 people per day (or more) who want us to modify their uniform to the 'new standard.' 

Nope. 

I'm not old school, I just don't want to see my troops out of pocket for something that should be a nationally funded initiative.  (Note also, units procuring these items out of their unit budget are actually breaking purchasing rules to do so....or so say the Loggies that I work with.)

NS

NavyShooter said:
*THIS
(Note also, units procuring these items out of their unit budget are actually breaking purchasing rules to do so....or so say the Loggies that I work with.)

I am still new to LPO but my understanding is that NP Funds are ok to be used to procure this "bling" but public funds are a no-no. 

Halifax Tar said:
I am still new to LPO but my understanding is that NP Funds are ok to be used to procure this "bling" but public funds are a no-no.

Incorrect. The CO is free to use his O&M budget to procure these items if he wishes.

A good example is the ship's ballcaps; those are bought with the ship's budget and issued when you get posted in.  Most Coxns are reasonable enough to replace them once they get worn and faded as well rather then get the sailor to buy one from the canteen.

Aren't you supposed to have an "old worn and faded" headdress to wear at sea so that everybody onboard knows you're an Old Sea Dog ???

I know that NAVRES units were sent Velcro and patches and told to have their jackets done. At my unit we are expected to look alike and went to a CPF to have the jackets tailored and had to buy the patches. Some of these patches are quite expensive. It would be almost better to have a embroidery machine to produce the patches locally.

Chief Stoker said:
I know that NAVRES units were sent Velcro and patches and told to have their jackets done. At my unit we are expected to look alike and went to a CPF to have the jackets tailored and had to buy the patches. Some of these patches are quite expensive. It would be almost better to have a embroidery machine to produce the patches locally.

Or, just stay with the name-tag and your ships crest.

FSTO said:
Or, just stay with the name-tag and your ships crest.

I hear you however this was a collective dress committee decision. I agree with some of it however I think its a bit too much. I like the mission patches and the SSI but the rest is kind of over the top.

Nuggs said:
Why in the hell are we trying to dress up operational dress? I don't see the Army putting jump wings on cadpat.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wait for it...

Well this "belt buckle / boarding party crest" is sufficiently off the rails...

Long story short....

Boarding party crest, no nothing has changed. It get removed if you're not active on a team.

Belt buckle, maybe I'll try and find direction on the black one.

Chief Stoker said:
I hear you however this was a collective dress committee decision.
Perhaps the problem is the fact that CAF has standing dress committees with the only responsibility being to tinker with dress?  Could the CAF disband the committees or mandate that they meet not more frequently than triennially?

MCG said:
Perhaps the problem is the fact that CAF has standing dress committees with the only responsibility being to tinker with dress?  Could the CAF disband the committees or mandate that they meet not more frequently than triennially?

I assume other elements have the same kind of thing? It seems though its a case of the good ideas club at times.

PuckChaser said:
But you only get to wear 2 specialty badges, so you're not showing off.  ::)
i.e. - the Canadian Army Sergeant Major has two badges, so there is a requirement  to wear up to two.  :not-again:

See also,

Sea Service Insignia 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/95432.50
6 pages.

Monsoon said:
It's almost as though there were very real differences in how the various components train and operate, and that passing judgement on one from a basis of experience in another might end up making the person doing the analysis look ignorant...

Time training is time spent getting ready to do the business. Doesn't matter if that training time is 20,000 feet over an air weapons range, 5 feet deep in a trench line in Wainwright/Gagetown/Petawawa, or sailing around the ocean gaining currencies after a refit. You're being awarded a medal for literally being capable of going to sea. You know what the actual incentive the CAF gives you for doing that? SDA. Much like I get paid more for being in a field unit and having to do field stuff, you get paid more for being on a ship and going to sea.  The fact that you think you need a uniform device to show people that you've sailed while wearing a RCN uniform means that you think so poorly of the readiness/availability of the RCN that just the uniform alone isn't enough to signify someone has more time at sea than in port.

As noted earlier, SSI is just a big male sexual organ measuring contest to see who is "the better sailor", when realistically the rank and position should denote experience and trust that the sailor can/has done their job, and done it well. Giant white ensigns on uniforms, SSIs, ordering all shore-posted pers to wear NCDs smacks of an identity crisis and a constant feeling of inferiority instead of focusing on being a quiet professional and letting the myriad of news articles from Op CARIBBE and CTF-150 (among many others) do the talking.

PuckChaser said:
Time training is time spent getting ready to do the business. Doesn't matter if that training time is 20,000 feet over an air weapons range, 5 feet deep in a trench line in Wainwright/Gagetown/Petawawa, or sailing around the ocean gaining currencies after a refit. You're being awarded a medal for literally being capable of going to sea. You know what the actual incentive the CAF gives you for doing that? SDA. Much like I get paid more for being in a field unit and having to do field stuff, you get paid more for being on a ship and going to sea.  The fact that you think you need a uniform device to show people that you've sailed while wearing a RCN uniform means that you think so poorly of the readiness/availability of the RCN that just the uniform alone isn't enough to signify someone has more time at sea than in port.

As noted earlier, SSI is just a big male sexual organ measuring contest to see who is "the better sailor", when realistically the rank and position should denote experience and trust that the sailor can/has done their job, and done it well. Giant white ensigns on uniforms, SSIs, ordering all shore-posted pers to wear NCDs smacks of an identity crisis and a constant feeling of inferiority instead of focusing on being a quiet professional and letting the myriad of news articles from Op CARIBBE and CTF-150 (among many others) do the talking.

Puckchaser I suspect you are really a closet sailor with all the kind words about the RCN uniform based on your insightful comments. Have a great navy day.

Back