• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Communicator Vs Sig Op

The guys I work with actually don't like the Navy part of their trade... They sound like you Sub_Guy.

signalsguy said:
The guys I work with actually don't like the Navy part of their trade...

I love the Navy part of my trade.  It was bittersweet to be posted ashore this year.  The DC, the camaraderie, the times when I was being a sig again...I like it all. Unfortunately it's stuff like a heavy, often unknown sailing schedule, changes to a trade, etc. that end up overtaking the good.  Not to mention the changes in attitudes of alot of people, new and old.

Yes, I'm CTing out of Navy, but it will still be very much a part of me, and I will continue to support it and talk about it, and certainly will not dissuade anyone from joining.

Best of luck D3V1L6 in whatever you decide to do, and any others as well, who have their sights set on the sea.

navymich said:
For any emergencies onboard, the crew has to deal with it themselves.  This includes fires and floods.  (you will get training on that and more....it's a LOAD of fun!).  A fire or flood is Damage. And you need to Control it.  While you have a team fighting the fire, or repairing damage from a flood etc, you have roundsman that maintain continuous rounds of the ship.  This is to ensure that there is no more damage, for example a fire spreading to other compartments, casualties somewhere etc.  They move throughout the ship for the entire time that the emergency is underway, and they report in to different sections such as Command and the different Section Bases (where the emergency teams are based out of) to give a sitrep.

And (for the OP) the roundsman carried a radio and a bag (of flood-stopping gear) -- seemed to fit your interests! ;)

I know exactly what you mean NavyMich,letting og of the army will be the hardest part, I think that if I do go ahead with the remuster, I'll find myself going on and on about my experiences on the ground, surrounded by sailors sick and tired of hearing my  :warstory:.

Training and career progression as it exists 'right now' for regular force NAV COMMs:

Basic training (duh    ;D )

QL3 (Junior CISN Operator course) - Communications security, Basic communications (radio frequency type), basic crypto (how to load the more common equipment), basic message processing (how to type one), basic bridge communications (how to talk on a naval radio circuit, how to interpret and plot a basic naval formation of ships), how to send/receive morse code by flashing light.  Course length approx 6 months.

Posted to a ship for up to 5 years. Must complete an On the Job Training (OJT) package. After 30 months, promotion to Able Seaman (AB) and eligible (if completed OJT) for QL5 coursing.

QL5 (CISN Operator course) - Communications security, advanced radio communications including radio-teletype theory, message routing, frequency usage, military satellite communications,  etc. Advanced bridge communicator skills including plotting advanced naval formations, plotting fleet maneuvers, and voice practical. Naval communications equipment phases including crypto equipment, communications control management system, etc. (All takes approx 3 months). Then IT training aimed at supporting the desktop user including A+, Network+, desktop operating systems, basic server and e-mail server management, HTML and MS FrontPage. (48 training days). Course length overall approx 6 months.

On completion of CISN OP, likely promotion to Leading Seaman (LS) , return to ship for a year.

After that ship/shore postings will rotate every 2 - 3 years. Courses will be loaded by merit:

CISN Administrator (Necessary for a LS to be promoted to Master Seaman). All IT training aimed at supporting the network overall, including advanced CISCO, MS and Unix based operating systems, and e-mail server training. Also includes administrator training for LOTUS Domino and SameTime products.  Capped off by advanced training in network crypto devices and admistration of the "ShipLAN" phases. Course is 48 training days for the IT, then about 10 days for the crypto/ShipLAN phases.

CISN Supervisor (Necessary for a MS to be promoted to Petty Officer 2nd Class). Advanced communications planning including frequency management, message processing, etc. You will be required to design a plan to support ships on a long deployment. Also advanced fleet maneuvering training culminating in a trainer phase where you will be on the bridge advising the officer of the watch on when/where to move the ship. IT training designed to enable the trainee to implement the tools necessary to provide network security including firewalls, anti-virus configuration, and anti-hacking tools. Overall course length is about 2 months (still some flux last I knew).

CISN Manager (Necessary for a PO2 to be promoted to PO1). Seminars and lectures describing a host of advanced communications planning objectives and the future of C4I. The student will be required to present a paper on a related topic. IT training aimed at the job of Unit Information Systems Security Supervisor, where the student will be required to study the regulations pertaining to information systems security and design a coherent plan for the unit (ship).  Course length 6 weeks.

Note that all regular force leadership training will be required to advance throught the various levels as well as environmental training such as ship board fire fighting, first-aid, etc.

Finally, a section on ship has between 17 (frigate) to 22 (Destroyer / AOR) communicators. They will stand 1 in 2 watch rotation (7 hours on, 7 off, 5 on, 5 off) while at sea. A watch will man the Communications Control Room (CCR) with around 4 at any one time (Senior Hand of the Watch [SHOW], Message Center watchkeeper, and any number of junior hands under training), the Bridge will be manned by at least  a SHOW and (depending on personnel availablity and current operations) a junior hand. Also on watch will be the Watch Supervisor (PO2) and the Master Seaman of the Watch. Another PO2 is dedicated to working on the ship's information systems and is called the Information Systems Administrator. Depending on personnel training and numbers, he/she may have dedicated assistants, otherwise the on watch personnel qualited to CISN Operator or above, will be assigned to help as necessary. All work for the section head, a PO1 known as the Senior NAV COMM (SNC). In foreign port communications must be kept up 24/7, so usually NAV COMMS will be duty (required to work on board for 24 hours) 1 day in 4 or 5 (depending on training levels and operations).

Other training (Boarding Party, Ship's diver, etc) is available but most SNC will not entertain a request for such until the trainee has completed the OJT package and would prefer completion of the QL5 course before supporting non-trade requirements.

The job of NAV COMM, in all it's aspects, is a detail intensive job. Small mistakes can have large consequences (imagine starting to send the message "Do not attack" and missing the word 'not'). All working conditions on a ship are cramped, uncomfortable and like any military profession may consist of long periods of repetitive tasks (processing messages, etc) punctuated by periods of intense activity (boarding stations, changing to alternate communications plans, etc).

However, the NAV COMM trade is one of the few trades that has continually met it's recruiting objectives, and has filled all it's manning requirments. (And before the shipboard folks flame me with horror stories of going to sea with 10 communicators, I am well aware that the current training cycle is pushing the fleets hard to fill both the schools and operational units). Recommended as a challenging, rewarding career with a future.

Excellent reply roadracer, I'll keep it all in the back of my mind.  So far my thoughts of OTing have been put on hold as I have been nominated for a posting overseas.

Back