• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National Military Cemetary

• Thread starter Thread starter pilot_hopeful
  • Start date Start date
P

pilot_hopeful

I have been thinking about this for a while now, every time i read the newspaper there are obituaries for veterans. Their numbers are fewer and fewer as they are now getting quite elderly.
Given the significance of what they have done, I think there should be a national military cemetery, like Arlington national cemetery in the US.

I personally don't think their families should have to pay for funerals.
It would be beneficial for people to have a place to go, aside from a statue in Ottawa, rather than just think about it once a year.

any thoughts on this? As well, where would be a good location?

Keeping in the spirit of this thread, I had a brilliant idea the Army should adopt.  Instead of using a main battle rifle that has to be recocked after every shot, perhaps we need to adopt some sort of self-loading (semi-automatic) rifle?  Perhaps even a so-called assault rifle with automatic fire capability?

What do you guys think would be a good weapon to replace the Lee Enfield with?

;D

OK, my sarcasm detector is off the scale here!  But I can't quite zero in. Too much Kentucky Bourban I guess

Oh I dunno I was quite amazed when we got rifled muskets to replace the smooth bore ones we have inthe navy.  ;D

I lived in Ottawa for 15 years, I had absolutly no idea that existed

pilot_hopeful said:
I lived in Ottawa for 15 years, I had absolutly no idea that existed

Well, depending on when you lived in Ottawa, it's entirely possible it didn't exist ...
(i.e. it's amusing, in a pathetic sort of way, but the DND website very adroitly does not emphasize the fact that this is a latter-day invention ... instead mentioning the cemetery itself dates back to 1873 ... but conveniently omits the year of the dedication ceremony ...)
http://www.dnd.ca/cemetery/Engraph/cerded_e.asp?cat=ceremonies

And, you'll also note the lack of date on this monument :
http://www.rcsigs.ca/ViewPlace/23/

But, the Legion isn't shy:
http://www.waramps.ca/military/memorials/nmc.html

There are actually military cemeteries throughout Canada, or at least military sections.  A friend of mine came back from France and Flanders having toured the Canadian War Cemeteries there, and we were driving past a cemetery here in Calgary and I pointed out the Cross of Sacrifice.  He was rather amazed, as it was identical to the ones in France.  We stopped and walked around; the Union Jack flew over the cemetery and there were graves listing the CEF Battalions these guys had served in.  They all died after the war, peacefully one hopes, but were grouped together in Queen's Park Cemetery.  Another section had WW II vets - all with the standard headstone bearing a regimental crest or the maple leaf device, just like the cemeteries overseas for guys killed in action.  We then went to another cemetery in Calgary, and sure enough, more markers and a Cross of Sacrifice, as well as a 5.5 inch field piece and a couple of impressive monuments.  The Cross of Sacrifice is a standard pattern and is used throughout the war cemeteries in Europe, as well as military cemeteries here in Canada.

The spot at Beechwood appears to have been the same kind of dea once upon a timel, according to the RCL site, before dedication as a true national military cemetery.

Michael Dorosh said:
... The Cross of Sacrifice is a standard pattern and is used throughout the war cemeteries in Europe, as well as military cemeteries here in Canada.

Oh, how politically incorrect ... !
Thank goodness for the graceful, flowing lines and imagery evoked by The National Military Cemetery Monument, and the lilting prose:

THE NATIONAL MILITARY CEMETERY OF THE CANADIAN FORCES. (FRONT INSCRIPTION)

TO THE MEN AND WOMEN OF CANADA'S ARMED FORCES WHO HAVE SERVED THEIR COUNTRY WITH DISTINCTION IN WAR AND PEACE. (Back inscription)

The design, developed by the Department of National Defence and Beechwood Cemetery, is based on the following First World War monuments: Courcelette, Le Quesnal, Hill 62 and Passchendale; mostly resembling the latter.

Free to Move:
The Usual Disclaimer:
Seeds of war yield gardens of stone
For the victors of 2 world conflicts, France's cemeteries burst with pride, grief and honour
By PETER WORTHINGTON Sun, July 29, 2007
OMAHA BEACH, NORMANDY -- What do the World War I and World War II military cemeteries in France tell us about the nations that fought those devastating wars -- and the soldiers and airmen buried there?

Apart from the relative youth of those who died in the service of their countries, the cemeteries are distinct from one another.

Generally, they are solemn places that evoke the observation of the great humanitarian and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1952) Albert Schweitzer: "War graves are the best inducement towards peace."

The most awesome war cemetery in France is the American one at Omaha Beach (Colleville-sur-Mer), where roughly the same number of Americans were killed on D-Day (about 2,400) as died on 9/11.

In the cemetery, nearly 10,000 American servicemen (and four women) are buried, each one beneath an inscribed white stone cross or a Star of David (where applicable). In all, 125,000 American dead are buried in France.
GRANDIOSE SCALE

Curiously, the very vastness of the Normandy cemetery tends to be -- how to put it? -- almost grandiose and overstated.

I suspect it's the only war cemetery where you pass through a metal detector before entering the visitors centre -- the only entrance to the cemetery. That alone is a political comment, and a reflection on America's status in Europe.

A somewhat effeminate statue at the main memorial, depicting "the Spirit of Youth Rising from the Waves" is more mindful of an Italian, or Confederate civil war statue -- overly ornate and flamboyant considering the sombre nature of what war graves represent. (Often it's losers in wars who tend to have the most dramatic memorials).

The German war graves are modest, harsh and inexpressibly gloomy. I facetiously suggested they were Darth Vader cemeteries -- black stone crosses, with each grave marked by a plaque in the manicured, green grass. Each has a name, followed by the stark phrase: "A German soldier."

At La Cambe cemetery, some 21,000 Germans are buried -- a relatively small portion of the 228,000 Germans buried in 23 cemeteries from WWII -- and 768,000 interred in 192 cemeteries from WWI.

At each German war cemetery I visited, Schweitzer's remark carried poignant meaning.

The German government, unlike Canadian, British and U.S. governments, is not responsible for these cemeteries, which are maintained by the German War Graves Commission, sustained by private donations.

At Italy's Monte Cassino, where German paratroopers held off the Allies until Polish troops eventually rousted them from the ruins of the Benedictine monastery, German dead are buried four to a grave, in a cemetery of crushed stone instead of grass. Again stark, cold, sad and forbidding -- unlike Cassino's British-Canadian cemetery, abloom in flowers, tended grass, with small flags from pilgrims on select graves.

Poles have the place of honour. Their dead are buried atop the mountain.

In France, British and Canadian war dead are scattered in comparatively small cemeteries across the northwest countryside. In my view, they are the most poignant -- perhaps because of my heritage.

YANKS COME HOME

Americans prefer to take their war dead home for burial. British and Canadians tend to the view of poet Rupert Brooke: "If I should die, think only this of me: That there is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England." Or Canada -- certainly from WWI, WWII and Korea.

Driving along a peaceful highway, or small road, amid pastoral France, with farmland awash in peace, and rolling fields serene with cattle and crops, likely as not one suddenly encounters a small war cemetery that serves as a reminder that today's peaceful countryside was purchased at a terrible cost in young lives from Britain, Canada, and the old Empire and its Commonwealth successor.

Vimy Ridge, of course, is Vimy Ridge -- precious to the history of Canada and the memories of the nation. Too often a headstone, bearing a single maple leaf, carries the inscription: "A Canadian soldier, known only unto God" Thousands of these.

Then there are the dead of Dieppe, the gallant but incredibly foolish 1942 raid by troops of Canada's 2nd Division (planned, approved, and ordered by Lord Louis Mountbatten, whose obstinacy was legendary and destructive).

Dieppe was our greatest disaster of WWII -- some 80% of 5,000 Canadians were casualties -- testimony to the grit of the troops in question. Two Victoria Crosses were won that day -- and official rationalizing that every life lost at Dieppe meant 10 lives saved on D-Day from the lessons learned. What nonsense! Does one need a Dieppe to prove that a frontal assault with insufficient air and naval gun support on beaches defended by gun emplacements on surrounding cliffs is unlikely to succeed?

British-Canadian war graves are superbly cared for.

They are places of curious peace and tranquillity. The mostly young men buried there form a kinship in death that is somehow noble and reassuring -- better they rest together in immortality than be taken home to be buried separately in obscure cemeteries across Canada, soon to become anonymous.

The French treat our war dead with generosity and reverence: Unknown people place flowers on individual graves. The British headstones have carvings of regimental badges in the stone. Every day, Canadians, British and French visit these war cemeteries, and sign remembrance books at each site.

GERMANS LONELY

By contrast, German cemeteries are lonely places, largely unvisited, and then mostly, one assumes, by kinfolk. There is little hope in these, while the American and Allied war cemeteries burst with pride, grief and honour. Remembrance books are filled with expressions of gratitude for those who died in Canada's name.

German tourists that one meets in France today tend to treat World Wars I and II as something foreign and alien -- unlike Canadians and British who identify with their war dead.

Only at Oradour-sur-Glane do all visitors react with horror -- especially German. Here, four days after D-Day in June 1944, this quiet village was pillaged and burned by the 4th Waffen SS. Men and boys were summarily shot. Women and small children were herded into the church, which was set on fire. Some 650 residents were systematically slaughtered.

Today, Oradour remains as a charred memorial, prams, bicycles, gutted cars still in place -- a greater testament for peace than even Albert Schweitzer's heartfelt words.

Yes, there are gravesites in every province in Canada - for the military - taken care of by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.  I worked one summer for them and loved the job. They of course have offices all over the world and "inspectors" who travel in their respective countries to these cemetaries to make sure that the graves are taken care of, the grass is cut and any of the tombstones that need fixing are done. If you ever decide to travel overseas and want to visit the gravesites in France and Holland for example, you can contact the War Commission here in Ottawa and they will send you info on where you want to go along with maps and if you have a relative that died and is buried there and don't know their gravesite number - they will send it to you. Their main office is in England but there is a small one in Ottawa in the same building as the Recruiting Center on Slater Street. They are a great bunch of people and will help you all they can  http://www.cwgc.org/

Back