• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My application process

Copper29

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new to this forum I will give you a little background of myself I am 31 years old married with two children, I am a security officer at a gold mine in northern Ontario been doing security work most of my career and tired of it.  My goal in live is to be a police officer tried several times got hung up at different parts of the application process, so then i decided to try military police. In 2004 I applied did all the testing I was told my application was not competitive enough and asked if I wanted to try my second choice which was medical tech so i  said yes I was set to go to St Jean in Jan 05 then i decided that it really wasn't what i wanted.  So I declined and since then I became a member of the OPP aux unit so i thought this might give me the extra edge i needed.

May 06 submitted application
June 06 waiting for references to be sent in. 

I will keep you updated as my process winds it way through.

If any one has any comments please feel free.

Thanks

Peter

If you really want to be a civilian police officer, stay in as an aux OPP, do some education upgrades and keep trying for that.  Dont waste your time becoming an MP hoping to use it as a stepping stone to civilian police force.  The military has enough MP's using this route already which only adds to the reduced level of respect in general that MP's receive.  However if you actually want to become an MP and stay in and make it a career, best of luck to you in making it in.

Well I am finally getting my process going i go do my aptitude test medical physical and interview on September 21 and 22 so here's hoping everything goes well.  I will keep everyone informed on how it goes.

Peter

Hi, everyone.  I've been reading around these forums for a while, and decided to start posting.  I have to say that a lot of what I read here prepared me for many of the steps in the application process that blindsided a lot of other applicants, and I'm glad I found this resource and community.  At the same time, I hope that my discussing my application process will shed some light to others on the same road the way that others did onto mine. 

I'm 19 years old, in reasonable shape, light smoker (2-5 cigarettes a day), and light drinker (maybe 3 nights out at the bar a month with friends).  I started out my application process by investigating the Canadian Forces webpage online and browsing through everything there.  As I was looking at this information, I was working in the Sales / Advertising sector, training to become an Assistant Manager.  But I was unhappy with my occupation there, and wanted to do something with a higher calling and something that I believed in strongly, and I've always wanted to serve in the Canadian Forces.  So I filled out the application form, the security clearance, and the references form, and brought it in to the Recruiting Centre in North York along with my supplementary documentation (passport, diploma, etc).

The members there were very friendly and helpful.  My chosen occupations were combat arms (Infantry, Artillery Air Defence, Artillery Field) in NCM, not having a university degree.  I was scheduled for a CFAT the next day, and a medical and interview the week after my CFAT.  I studied for about an hour and a half for my CFAT, reviewing up to grade 10 math (simple stuff like doing exercises in long division, multiplication, word problems found online), as I was fairly confident in my linguistic abilities and spacial perception.  I went in and finished all the sections with plenty of time to go over and check my answers once or twice (and I recommend that you do - I found very simple errors that I made just because I was in a rush to complete all the questions and didn't read carefully enough, or screwed up a calculation).  I was informed that I excelled in my English and Math skills, and did better than average in all sections.  I was given a printout with a list of my possible occupations, which were all occupations under NCM.

During all of this, since the day that I put in my application, I started an exercise regime.  It was a very simple one, consisting of stretching for 10 minutes, running for 3 km, and doing some exercises with dumbbells, push-ups, and sit-ups.  But as I kept at it every day with consistency, I found that my running time got better, my arm and upper body strength increased, and I felt more confident in my abilities to pass the physical test.  I still have a bit of difficulty with my push-ups, as it appears I've been doing them wrong all this time, so I'm focusing most on that factor.

I went in for my interview and my medical on the same day - it would have been about two weeks ago, now.  My interview was with a very friendly and open officer who made me feel that I could be honest about my shortcomings and the problems in my current situation that I have to overcome.  The interview went much longer than anticipated (3 hours instead of the 45 minutes to 1.5 hours he said it would take), though I don't know if that's my fault.  Near the beginning of the interview, he said to me that he didn't believe it would be wise for me to join as NCM, and that I should definitely apply for an Officer route.  So he interviewed me for Infantry Officer position, for CEOTP. 

He told me at the end of the interview that I had a very strong and competitive file, especially with all my volunteer work and extra-curricular activities and past leadership experience both in school and workplace settings, and that I presented myself very well.  My excellent grades in high school as well as the Ontario Scholar diploma were contributors to my case as Officer.  So I left there feeling pretty good about myself.

With that, I went to the medical after a short lunch break.  Everything was very simple.  The only thing I had a problem with was my unassisted vision.  I was informed that I was riding the line between V3 and V4 (and of course, V3 is the limit for joining Combat Arms) and that I should get tested with my optometrist to see exactly where I was.  It was very disappointing to have my vision stop me so far along the path.  Now, because of recent events in my life (I moved back with my parents for the time being, my girlfriend moved back home as well, my cousin passed away) I haven't yet gone to the optometrist.  But it will be as early on next week as I can possibly make it.

I went back and spoke with the advisor concerning the vision problem, and he ran me through my options in case I am a V4, and he was very helpful, because he could see that I was crushed and that I really did want to serve in Combat Arms.  He told me honestly that without V3, there wasn't much choice of me joining as an Officer in CEOTP with V4, but that I had choices in ROTP and NCM routes.  However, with my current situation, ROTP isn't an option I'm looking into at the moment.  I could definitely go NCM working outside of Combat Arms, and there are a few occupations that interest me there, but I know that in the long run I would try to get laser surgery and reapply for a Combat Arms Officer position.

I guess that at this time, the best that I can do is to do what I have to do, take the results that come, and live with it.  With my girlfriend back down in the States and myself some thousand dollars in debt and in hot confrontation with my parents over many serious issues, I can only hope that this aspect of my life will work out in one way or another.

Back