• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MND O'Connor Says "No New Missions for now"

• Thread starter 17thRecceSgt
  • Start date
Jim Travers is disingenuous horse's ass....and not suprisingly a favourite on CBC Newsworld for his "enlightened" outlook.

Matt.  ::)

Jim Travers ends his column with:

Rebuilding the military is important and will give Canada more options in the future. But it's not important enough to excuse looking away now while so many are dying.

He’s wrong, sadly.

The dying, like the poor, are always with us.

This particular group is not all that distinguishable from others which we, Canada and other ‘determined nations’ have ignored in the past.

Many Army.ca members have opined that the primary utility of armed forces is to give the government of the day options.  To do that the armed forces must be capable of doing a certain range of tasks – decades, nearly four of them, of neglect and, occasionally, actual destruction of military capabilities have deprived the Government of Canada of many of its options.  Delaying the rebuilding of our military capabilities, even to help others to deal with a real crime against humanity, would a grave strategic error.

Darfur is bad; there will be worse.  The longer we postpone giving ourselves useful options the weaker will be our capability to respond.

Looks like the pressure's building.  Wonder where my desert boots are? 

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060511/darfur_deployment_060511/20060511?hub=TopStories

Harper considers possibility of Darfur deployment
Updated Thu. May. 11 2006 9:39 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said that Canada could deploy more troops to the troubled Darfur region of Sudan if necessary, days after his defence minister warned that the army is stretched too thin to help in the war-torn nation.

"This government stands ready and is in consultation with our friends in the international community to do whatever is necessary to advance the peace process in Darfur," Harper said Wednesday in the House of Commons.

"If that involves sending troops, that will be an option that we consider."

As recently as Tuesday, Harper said Canada stands ready to contribute humanitarian assistance, but did not expect any military requests from Darfur, where at least 180,000 people have died and another 2.4 million uprooted.

Politicians from all parties have urged the government to take a leadership role to stop further bloodshed in Darfur, where 100 Canadian soldiers are already serving as advisers to about 7,000 African Union troops.

But Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor told a Senate committee on Monday that Canada's military can't take on any new overseas missions while it's trying to expand

"As long as we are expanding the armed forces, we will not be able to maintain two sort of heavy lines of commitment from the army," he said Monday while testifying before a Senate defence committee hearing in Ottawa.

Asked about the mixed signals from the two politicians, O'Connor's spokesman Etienne Allard told The Globe and Mail it would not be easy to do two large deployments at the same time.

"Minister O'Connor has been consistent in saying that, considering we have 2,300 troops in Afghanistan and the current state of the Canadian Forces, it would be very difficult to support another substantial overseas mission."

Decades of low-level tribal clashes over land and water in Darfur erupted into large-scale violence in early 2003.

The rebels took up arms, accusing the government of discriminating against the black residents of Darfur.

The government is accused of responding by unleashing Janjaweed militias, who are blamed for the worst atrocities such as mass killing and rape, but it's a charge Sudan denies.

The Sudanese government has signed a peace deal with the major rebel group there and has indicated it would be open to UN peacekeepers getting involved.

As usual Edward.

I agree entirely and just finished sending off my screed to Travers pointing out that if 135,000 Americans, ~30,000 allies, ~250,000 Iraqis in uniform and untold numbers of security consultants, backed by the US Navy, secure bases in places like Kuwait and Oman with a solid supply line can't secure Iraq how much more difficult would Darfur be?

The borders are non-existent as are secure bases.  The Navy won't get any closer than 1500 km so they are out of the fight entirely.  There would be no secure lines of communication.

Darfur and indeed the whole of the interior of Africa would require a massive invasion force that would never be authorized by  the UN or local governments.  The only good thing that I can see coming out of this is it might force Canadians to rethink if they want to do the "right thing" (God help them) or the UN approved thing.  Because those are often mutually exclusive events.

At any rate, practicalities always rear their ugly heads and the right thing or the approved thing are often trumped by the possible thing.

A grumpy Cheers this morning.

Could it be that TF 2-07 was cancelled a little too early ? I know that they need to train troops but now after 4-06 then what ? I think they've taken most of that TF now(2-07) minus the coy tasked to the 1-07, and tasked them to death meaning the guys will still be gone for the same length of time its just that they won't leave the country. That makes for some pretty bitter guys I'm sure, maybe if the CF worried half as much about retention as they did recruiting we wouldn't be chewing all this gum to keep the boat afloat.

Anyhow enough ranting from from me, so maybe a viable option is a one shot deal like Op APOLLO, might not sit too well in Ottawa though, just starting to to make a difference and then we leave ? I can almost hear Jack Layton now, even though if it was up to him the CF would be picking up garbage on the side of the highways(with blue berets on of course)

Well thats about all I have from here, I'll get down off my soapbox now.(lol)

Kirkhill: In addition most media reporting--and questions from Layton et al.--simply assume there will be a UN force for Darfur (indeed from some reporting and commentary one could get the impression such a force already exists and Canada is delinquent in not taking part).  When in reality such a force will almost certainly require the approval of Khartoum (is a force to invade against the government? not likely).  If, without that approval, a resolution for a Chapter VII force is nonetheless brought to the UNSC, China and Russia would almost certainly veto it.

If Sudan agreed to a Chapter VI--"traditional peacekeeping"--force it would be unlikely to achieve much.  See B-H.  Yet none of these obstacles are dealt with seriously by our politicians and media, Margaret Wente aside (full text not online).
http://www.theglobeandmail.com//servlet/story/LAC.20060511.COWENT11/TPStory/National/columnists

'...
...Jack Layton wants to help Darfur, especially if it means we get to pull our troops out of Afghanistan to do it. "Let there be no doubt," he said in an emotional speech this week. "What we are seeing in Darfur is genocide in slow motion."

Mr. Layton wants to bring back the glory days of peacekeeping under the umbrella of the United Nations. The blue helmets will protect the innocent (if there are any left alive by then) from being raped and slaughtered, just the way they protected those 800,000 people in Rwanda. Even Roméo Dallaire now says the UN is the answer...

If sentiment were deeds and talk were action, Canada would be a hero...

Let no one say Canada hasn't seized the moral high ground on Darfur. Even if we don't have any troops to send, we can help in other ways. We can get Mr. Rock to talk sternly to Russia and China, who are stubbornly refusing to come around. And after the militias peacefully lay down their arms, we can send our experts to help write a constitution.

Unfortunately, I doubt Sudan's Omar Hassan Bashir is too worried yet. He knows his pals will stick up for him. China gets 7 per cent of its oil from Sudan, and in turn sells it weapons to arm its militias...

The Arab nations have been curiously mum about the Muslims dying in Darfur. Is it because they're the wrong kind of Muslims? Or is it because they're being slaughtered by other Muslims, instead of by Americans and Jews? The African Union isn't enthusiastic about Western meddling either. They're insulted that people think their own 7,000-man security force can't do the job -- even though it has been totally ineffectual. The Europeans, meantime, have mostly got out of the peacekeeping business. They'd rather stand back and denounce American imperialism...'

Mark
Ottawa

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060511.wxcowent11/BNStory/International/home

Here is Margaret Wente's article in the G&M.  It serves as something of a counter-point to Travers.

Never again? Who are we kidding?

Sorry to inundate this thread but I just saw Ujjal on CBC "debating" sending troops to Sudan.  I guess in CBC parlance one person proselytizing is the same as a debate, but I digress.....

UD wants to send 1500 of you lot to Sudan.  When asked what they would do, "traditional Blue Beret peacekeeping" or peacemaking "as in Afghanistan" he replied "both".  I thought you were already doing both in Afghanistan.  I guess the tune is changing.  For the LPC/NDP Afghanistan is now peacemaking (Yankee overtones I guess) while Sudan is "both".

Curiously, again according to UD, if the Sudan and the UN Security Council don't like it then tough....Canada should organize a coalition of the willing and invade anyway....We have a responsibility to protect.

I need some Gravol.

So let me get this straight.  The NDP has no problem with us going to the Sudan without a UN mandate and conduct peacemaking operations but they do for Afghanistan?!?

Quagmire: mais bien sûr.  It's all about politics, not logic or what is realistically practical.  I'm just waiting for Black Jack to realize that the strongest advocate for intervention in Darfur is GWB.  But Jack, though fast with the mouth, is slow with the grey cells.  And Hercule has a better 'stache.

Mark
Ottawa

Does it not scare some of you, that crazy people like UD, who clearly change depending on what's the "cool" thing to do at the moment, are the ones that decide to send you people to war? Can I ask this: if there were no civilian leadership, where would YOU GUYS send yourselves? OR...would you just stay home and eat chocolate.

I would.

NightrainFXSTB said:
Does it not scare some of you, that crazy people like UD, who clearly change depending on what's the "cool" thing to do at the moment, are the ones that decide to send you people to war? Can I ask this: if there were no civilian leadership, where would YOU GUYS send yourselves? OR...would you just stay home and eat chocolate.

I would.
if there were no civilian leadership, we would be living under a militaristic dictatorship, and I would be fighting against it.

And winning.

I think I would send myself for some training in...Hawaii..and...Bermuda...places like that.  Wearing only a clown suit.

Whats that saying...

"Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer."

Something like that. Para's answer was good to though.  :blotto:

Back