• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Urban Legends

Frostnipped Elf said:
    -  In Cornwallis (insert CF training base HERE), they put saltpeter in the food to cut down on the sexual urges of the recruits

I have heard that one for Gagetown more then once

Are we to believe they were fathered while you were a young eager recruit in Cornwallis?

Actually - two of them were fathered due to bullet proof sperm - we have a "RV 83" baby, and a "ROVING JIMMY 84" baby.

One was planned - we've never told our sons which one was planned.  Indeed - I used to tell the boys that "two of you are spare parts - I'll decide which ones later" - when I was particularly pissed off.

axeman said:
I heard an urban legend about Mr Rogers before, saying that he was an ex-US Marine Sniper who did a few tours in Vietnam, and the reason why he always wore those sweaters on the show was because his arms were covered in tattoos.
JOHN DENVER was a USMC sniper with 40 + confirmed . Captian Kangaroo was a door gunner .   :fifty:

Capt kangaroo (Actor Bob Keeshan) was born in Lynbrook, New York, and attended Fordham University after serving in the United States Marine Corps reserve during World War II.  Keeshan never saw combat or overseas duty, having enlisted just before the end of the war.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Keeshan

Just what I found out......I love the ones about John Denver and Mr. Rogers and I have heard them as well.

A former boss of mine used to say (in the years before genetic testing was commonplace)

"Motherhood is an act of love.  Fatherhood is an act of faith."

A Navy one...The INS Viraat is actually the Bonaventure?

In the Gulf of Oman on OP APOLLO we pulled alongside her and everybody came up to the Upper decks to check her out.

It was like seeing a ghost..........but thats another just another urban legend

HFXCrow said:

In the Gulf of Oman on OP APOLLO we pulled alongside her and everybody came up to the Upper decks to check her out.

Put a picture of the Bonnie up to compare!

1-bonaventure.jpg

Yes, that's right kids ... Canada once had one of these!!  :-[

Hey Vern, which form do I use, and how do I fill it out to request one of these? Surely the computer wouldn't notice for at least 2 days, by then we all could be flying/sailing near the Bahamas.

daftandbarmy said:
A friend of mine with the RM served with the USMC on exchange in Beirut in 1983. Luckily, he left just before the big bomb that killed a few hundred of the poor buggers. Anyways, as many of you may know, the yanks are fond of putting up big signs that say things like '137rd Underground Balloon Maintenance Platoon - Second to None!'.

So he had a T-Shirt made up for himself that he wore around the base. On the front it said, in large letters, 'None'.

They didn't get it.

This had apparently been done before by British or Canadian troops in Korea, but I can't find the reference so it may be an Urb-Leg.

This is not an urban legend, it was 2 engineering units in Korea, one American, the second Canadian, the American had their battalion sign up stating second to none, so the Canadians put up a hand painted sign stating "We are none". I remember seeing a photo of it in one of the engineering magazines back in the early eighties.

HFXCrow said:

She's actually the former HMS Hermes. Flagship of the Royal Navy in the Falklands campaign.

You are thinking of the Vikrant. Which is the same class as the Bonnie.

Dirt Digger said:
At the tail end of RV 92 in Wainwright, I heard a rumour that a C-6 had gone missing.  They figured that it had been left (or buried) in the field, so the Grifs made passes over the training area with ground penetrating radar.  They didn't find the C-6, but they did find a buried M113.

The twist to the story was that the C-6 was found packed in grease, wrapped and hidden attached to a vehicle axle on the railhead.

Close, it was 2 X C-9's, in 1989, they were discovered during the railhead loading, strapped to  the axle of a Com's truck I believe. A few on the board here were involved with the search of the training area. Don't recall the burries 113 though.

Grifs with "ground penetrating radar"???    In 92? Before Griffons were in inventory?  New urban myths!

Edited to change myth to myths for clarity!

Back