• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

cheeky_monkey said:
I'm sure that space_sldr would rather take the time to learn, then be slightly embarrassed because of his swimming proficiency/ability.(If I was you)

That is how  we learn.

The thing is, I am determined to be able to swim after the whole thing is over.  :evil: It's my one of my BIG goals. I just want to know if i'll get enough time during the whole thing to practice. Does anyone know how often we'll get trained to swim?

space_sldr

If you can, go to the pool before BMQ and get a basic understanding of swimming.  In BMQ, they don't spend much time on swimming
instruction.  The instructors won't let you drown by any means but they will challenge your skills in the pool.

Keebs

If you check out the video link on the CF recruiting site, they'll show sequences of people in the pool; a roll off from the edge, treading water,
a life jacketed jump from a height, swimming around, are things you may have to do in the pool.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/btraining/cflrs_e.aspx

you don't need to know how to swim to pass bmq, i had several on my reg bmq that didnt know

hey guys ..iv'e read thru all the post on swimming but what i want to know is that...
this  applies to all ppl who have been thru basic at st.jean esp most recent graduates ..as seeiing thru other post that standards can change thru time...this is for reg force training..
what i want to know is that during which weeks did you go to the pool for swim training and how many days you spent in the water
and what u did there...yes i have seen all the video and read thru the req...20m with life jacket paddle for 3 mins etc...
the reason why i ask this is that...im an ok swimmer i can do all the requirements but the only problem i have ..other than the fear of drowning is that i can't keep myself afloat for long periods of time...all my friends have been training me on staying afloat.. i spend far too much energy trying to keep afloat..they tell me to relax and that thats the key to staying afloat w/ the hand and leg movements....but when i try to relax and move my arms slowly to conserve energy i sink like i have cement shoes on ....and thats where the fear of drowning comes into play... dont get me wrong i can swim the length of a pool (freestyle or float on my back for long periods of time) its staying afloat vertically thats the  problem ...lenth of an average pool a couple of times...
and tips on how to combat this problem..im taking swim classes at the local pool but still have this problem..
Is this ging to affect me negatively (other than being classified as a non swimmer) thru bmq/sq/biq ..for instance would i fail SQ and BIQ due to not being able to swim good or will i just be classified as a non swimmer and be posted to my unit or be revoked by my unit for this reason...its getting me a little ancy......
oh btw if you are gonna post a reply as "read the faq"  don't just go to another post and do it
sry guys but i ended up flying off the handle on this one numptie hence the verbal warning...oh yeah and 1 post with a numptie comment on my part...so there directing staff  ;D just incase you were coming up with a reminder for me as to why i goot the warning..lol beat you to that didn't I ..huh ,huh...hahahahha
newayz thx for the response and the tips

cheers

Ok, this is how it goes at BMQ.

You will go to the pool on week 2 to do your swim test, and then again on either week 5 or 6.  Keep in mind that it IS NOT a requirement to swim in order to pass the BMQ.

Your swim test on week two will consist of treading water for 2 minutes, then swimmin to the end of a 25m pool (this is done in your combat pants and shirt, so it tends to tire you a bit more).  Then you will have to jump off of a 3m diving board with a life jacket on, and upon surfacing to the water, you must raise your hand an give a thumbs up.  Then after surfacing, you must swim to the end of the 25m pool.  That's it.
If you can not pass that test, then you will "attempt" to redo it on either week 5 or 6.  Again, you will NOT have to pass it or try it again if you do not wish.
The second time going, if you are not redoing your test, you will probably do some pool exercises where you will swim the lengths of the pool a few times with various things and do a few push-ups and sit-ups.

That's pretty much all there is to swimming.

thx sundborg really detailed, i like it a lot
the other part is have you done your SQ and if yes ...if you can answer my second part of the question..i.e  will i fail the SQ or BIQ and will i be revoked by my unit if i cant make the swimming part..
thx in advance for your reply..wish everyone could post detailed answers like you have

I can not help you as far as quoting standards but I can say that on my QL2 we had a small fellow who sunk like a rock as soon as he jumped in the pool. I am almost certain that he failed the test but he still passed the course and went on to his 3's (Artillery) and passed there as well. That was 7 years ago though so it may not be of much help.

Sundborg's post on what you have to do for the test is very accurate, at least from when I was in.

Sappo,

They probably just do a swimming "test" just to see where everyone is at with regards to swimming, so they can put it on one's file just for reference.  Even though it isn't part of the requirements for course, it doesn't hurt to go over the area.
I'm sure for Reserve BMQ they would probably just do something similar, it couldn't be much different, it should be the same standards everywhere.

If you ever do an ex in Gagetown you'll understand why they want to know if you can swim. Same friend of mine who was afflicted with the condition of sinking like a rock fell in a hole in the muskeg during our final ex, he's damn lucky others were close enough to get him out because he was an OK swimmer in the pool, but add battle order and........

Alright, I just did my swim test YESTERDAY, so here's the deal.

BTW i'm on my Reserve DP1 Infantry course (BIQ) at the moment.

1. Hop in the pool with combats on.

2. Tread water for 2 mins. and then swim to the end of the pool.

3. Put on a fancy CadPat lifejacket and look really cool.

4. Forward roll into the pool (thats how you deploy off an assault boat) and swim to the end of the pool.

Swim test is over. Note that the whole test is with combats on.

Yup, pretty close to what I remembered.  Did you have a 3m diving board there where you did your test?

Sundborg said:
Yup, pretty close to what I remembered.   Did you have a 3m diving board there where you did your test?

Negative, no diving board at the pool.

4. Forward roll into the pool (thats how you deploy off an assault boat) and swim to the end of the pool.

Ive never heard that before.

Anyways mine was jump in the pool in gear off the diving board(sommersault) swim 2 lengths, tread water for 5 minutes. Done. Those that failed got a PO failure and were told they had to pass a retest in the next year.

:D Well since you've probably already found out that you have to move your feet and hands to tread water , not just let your body stay afloat by itself (if that's what you were suggesting) I just have one thing to add.  I am a qualified lifeguard and swim instructor, and in our training we learned- and this is 100% true- that, some people just DON'T FLOAT. Because either
                              1)They have low body fat and are very lean, even if you have some body fat you might still be in clined to sink, it depends on the individual and,
                              2)It also depends on your ethnic background. Some ethnicities are more inclined to sink because of their body chemistry. Black people and First Nations people for example are more likely to sink than let's say a person who is Caucasian or Oriental, they would be more likely to float.
                            I hope this helps anyone that is having difficulty floating on their back or such, because since i was a kid, and even after the numerous swimming courses I've taken, it is impossible for me to relax on my back and stay afloat for more than a few seconds.  So I know how frustrating it can be.
By the way I'm 18 and I'm applying to join the Army this year in hopefully, combat engineer, armoured soldier, or artillery air defence. Wish me luck. Bye ; :D

Just some more questions on swimming, if u don't mind :)

1. Do we really have to tread the water continuously, or the idea is just to stay afloat without swimming ( and touching anything, of course)

2. Do they time us when we swim 25m, or whatever to the end of the pool, or we just have to swim there with no stop?

Thanks a lot.

:salute:

With regards to tredding water:  as long as you stay afloat, do what you wish.
No they will not time you to get to the end of the pool.  Just as long as you don't touch the sides or anything when you swim there.

Yeah man...don't worry about it at all! Last year we only had to pull about 17 out of the 144 recruits out of the pool, but this year we only had one sink. The hardest part is treading water, the basic idea is just to remain floating. If you're strong, not only in the head but physically it won't be hard! Just don't panic, and freeze up. That's the number one mistake!

You do not deploy from an assualt boat using a forward roll. That's just Hollywood stuff.

What if you want to join the Navy, but are not a good swimmer at all, would they toss you?

Back