• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military on a resume question

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_future_clerk

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I recently got released from the armed forces on an item 5(d).

I have failed the navigation exercise and as such, the PRB had
recommended a CRB on me. As a result, the CRB had me released.

I was a queen's york ranger candidate. I have done access control on
parade nights. I am interested in getting into corrections.

What I want to know is, how do I put this on the correctional officer
application form and resume?

a_future_clerk said:
I recently got released from the armed forces on an item 5(d).

I have failed the navigation exercise and as such, the PRB had
recommended a CRB on me. As a result, the CRB had me released.

I was a queen's york ranger candidate. I have done access control on
parade nights. I am interested in getting into corrections.

What I want to know is, how do I put this on the correctional officer
application form and resume?

Canadian Forces Reserve Force Service from blank to blank.  Reason for Leaving - Fired.

I was wondering, does anyone here know of anybody (other than me) who got released from the armed forces under a 5(d)?

Also, under what circumstances does someone get unsatisfactory service on their release certificate? What is the difference between a 5(f), a 1 series relase and a 2 series relase?

a_future_clerk said:
What should I say when tehy ask me why I got fired?
"Failed to meet Standard on the Required Navigation Phase of my training. I am unable to navigate across country, with a map and compass, to the level necessary to be acceptable as an Infantryman in the Canadian Forces."

Explains it in a straightforward manner without jeopardizing your acceptability for Corrections, since (And Bruce can correct me - see what I did there? - if I'm wrong) I doubt that Corrections Officers do much map and compass cross-country 'nav'-ing.

I think kincanuck is giving you bad advice and sending you on a goose chase.

Sorry kincanuck, don't mean to slag you.

Paracawboy has a good idea, I'd be a little more 'nuanced' about it, here's my 0.02.

a_future_clerk, don't bother mentioning it. You write a resume to get a job, not to expose every facet of your life. You gave this a try, it did not work out, leave it at that. It can do no good for you to expose this issue. Concentrate on your strengths, leave this aside a good try, but not a success.

Your leaving does not impair your ability to be bonded, your ability to perform any other duties. If you mention it you will have to admit you were 'fired' ( a rather harsh way to put it, but no matter what you say that's all the employer will hear). This white lie does not materially mislead a future employer, except in possibly thinking you to be a failure of some sort.

You could always try reading QR&O Chap 15 on the DND website. It answers your question. But in brief release items:

Item 1: Misconduct
Item 2: Unsatisfcatory Service
Item 3: Medical
Item 4: Voluntary
Item 5: Service Complete.

You are considered as "Service Completed: Not Advantageously Employable".

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qr_o/vol1/ch015_e.asp#15.01 Finding the answers is just a click away. Read for more detail.

Since a 5(d) release counts as "honourably released" under QR&O 15.01, you could just put your service on your resume and instead of "fired' write "honourably released" and if the question comes up about why you service was short, just tell them. I put a link to release items in the other thread you started.

rogsco said:
I put a link to release items in the other thread you started.
I merged 'em for convenience. I think we've covered both his questions anyway.

You've got your answers and information. What you do with it now is up to you. Time to start thinking for yourself, especially if you want to work in Corrections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back