• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Firefighting courses

• Thread starter Boss Mustang Fk
  • Start date
B

Boss Mustang Fk

Does anyone know anything about Military Firefighting courses? My family won't allow me in the army (shooting getting shot, going to afganistan) after high school, but firefighting is fine.  If anyone could tell me about the competition for the courses, or if/where I'd have to move to, or what's involved, or any tips I'd be grateful.

Even after highschool you're gonna let your parents dictate your future career?

*shakes head*

And where do you think a firefighter in the Military will ply their trade??  At the local swimming pool near mum and dad's home?  Times of war they follow the warriors to ensure their safety.  ie on a ship with the navy, In the airforce where fighter jets are stationed, on and army base where munitions are kept are just a few examples....

Try and apply for a civvy firefighter, sorry to sound so blunt.

tess

Boss Mustang Fk said:
Does anyone know anything about Military Firefighting courses? My family won't allow me in the army (shooting getting shot, going to afganistan) after high school, but firefighting is fine.   If anyone could tell me about the competition for the courses, or if/where I'd have to move to, or what's involved, or any tips I'd be grateful.

Did you also mention to them that if your a reservist, your volunteering to go overseas, your not ordered. Or that no matter what trade you are in the military your automatically going on your BMQ and your going to lear to shoot with a c7a1?

Also have you brought them into your local recruiter to have them talk about what the military is all about? or have your parents been to an information session at a local  unit or spoken to a recruiter at a open house? By just telling them you want to join isn't going to do much. Actively persue any options i have mentioned above to educate your family on the canadian forces and that way their thoughts of you shooting and getting shot ... are put to rest.

wow. testy bunch.

BTW - i can totally understand and relate to a parents concern for their child's safety. has no bearing on how much you love your country.

Military firefighters are some of the best trained Fire/Rescue personnel on the planet. I have had the pleasure of working with several of them over the last nearly ten years and must say that they are a great lot, very diverse experience and know their jobs very well. IIRC, the trades training is 26 weeks and firefighter is one of the most competitive trades in the CF. It is also very physically demanding. Wearing loads between 25 and 125 pounds under the stress of heat can be alot for some to take, throw a firehose and maybe an unconscious victim into the mix and you might get an idea of what it can be like.

Truth, Duty, Valour just did a show on them and it was good at showing how firefighters train universally. The CF guys have a bit more diverse training than guys like me but that is for very simple reasons like planes and weaponry.

If you want to try for firefighter in the civvy world, look up the Marine Institute - Offshore Safety and Survival Center. That's where I took my program and it is one of the very best in the country.

Good luck.

jebo_majku said:
wow. testy bunch.

BTW - i can totally understand and relate to a parents concern for their child's safety. has no bearing on how much you love your country.
I can totally understand too.

But decide to be an adult and make your own choices, or if you want to work in a civilian occupation, as boss mustang asked, then go do it.  The testiness happens when you ask a question like this;

"My mom and dad don't want me to become an army guy cuz there are guns and stuff involved.  Should I become a fireman or a chef or or a things like that...Any help would be nifty"

Well here it is.  Yes,  It's dangerous. Yep we get shot at, blown up, See awful crap, and live the rest of our lives trying to repair ourselves.

So I apologize if I seem a bit testy, but some sense and decorum would be appreciated. It would help those who  go to their room after a fight with mum and dad, slam the door, and type their "feelings" expecting to find someone out there that sympathizes with them, would stop and not do that.
Firefighter.....yep that ain't dangerous.....

whew

I am getting testy....must stop....

tess

the 48th regulator said:
I can totally understand too.

But decide to be an adult and make your own choices, or if you want to work in a civilian occupation, as boss mustang asked, then go do it.  The testiness happens when you ask a question like this;

"My mom and dad don't want me to become an army guy cuz there are guns and stuff involved.  Should I become a fireman or a chef or or a things like that...Any help would be nifty"

Well here it is.  Yes,  It's dangerous. Yep we get shot at, blown up, See awful crap, and live the rest of our lives trying to repair ourselves.

So I apologize if I seem a bit testy, but some sense and decorum would be appreciated. It would help those who  go to their room after a fight with mum and dad, slam the door, and type their "feelings" expecting to find someone out there that sympathizes with them, would stop and not do that.
Firefighter.....yep that ain't dangerous.....

whew

I am getting testy....must stop....

tess

sorry tess. didn't mean to sound crabby. but i do think the initial resposes to OP were a little terse. the OP sounds like a young man, we all were young people full of indecisons at some point.

here is my stab at a helpful response.

i served in the Yugoslav military when i was 18. looking back, i think it was the best thing that could have happened to me at my age at the time. i went in a mama's boy and came out a man. l learnt responsibility. grooming. respect. and so much more.

my advice to OP. if it's something you think you want to do - just go for it and see what happens. the worst that can happen is you will hate it and not want to do it again.

as far as fears and safety goes. the best advice i ever got was, "put your best foot forward and don't think too much".

Further to my last, I was just washing my gear and noticed the label on the inside of my bunker jacket:

"Firefighting is an ultrahazardous activity. Wearing this equipment may not protect you from serious injury and/or death"

Wow, have to admit that I never paid much attention to that before. I went further and checked my helmet, pants and boots, same label on all. Then, just for fun, I checked the Essentials of Firefighting handbook and found the same thing on page one. Guess I'd better get out! ;D

I'm 27 and out on my own and my parents both still worry about me when it comes to my job, I think any parent would. But they know and trust that I have had the benefit of the best training that there is offered and have learned from and worked with some of the best people at this job, I hope that eases their fears somewhat.

jebo_majku said:
sorry tess. didn't mean to sound crabby. but i do think the initial resposes to OP were a little terse. the OP sounds like a young man, we all were young people full of indecisons at some point.

here is my stab at a helpful response.

I served in the Yugoslav military when i was 18. looking back, i think it was the best thing that could have happened to me at my age at the time. i went in a mama's boy and came out a man. l learnt responsibility. grooming. respect. and so much more.

my advice to OP. if it's something you think you want to do - just go for it and see what happens. the worst that can happen is you will hate it and not want to do it again.

as far as fears and safety goes. the best advice i ever got was, "put your best foot forward and don't think too much".

Yep

they may have seemed brief or very short to the point, but if you noticed, the question drew forth much more than a response from just one member of the board.

I was young too, and curious. But if you read his question, I would like to know how your response clarified anything.

Look, My point is this.   If you want people on some msg board to make you feel good, after the fight with your parents regarding joining the military then don't come looking for it here.   This is army.ca not "Help me prepare a neat point of view for my parents that wont get me in trouble.ca".

That's what irks me.   I served the Canadian Army, and saw people around   his age serve the Canadian army in the former Yugoslavia in a time when you saw things one would never forget.   So ya, it not a pretty occupation, so that is why the terse response.

I took a stab at answering his question with an honest response.   I don't sugar coat it to make his feelings all warm an fuzzy again.

nuff said, I am off to my hooch

tess

Back