• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Engineer Customs and Traditions

chk2fung

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘ve been hearing a lot o interest lately about military engineers. I have great ambition to pursue that profession. However, I was wondering about the history of Military engineering. There are not many articles out there, not as much as the other combat arms. I have not been able to find about the significance of engineering. I am very proud to be associate with engineering and would like to spread the word about the noble and proud group of individuals.

I‘m sure people know of the famous nilitary engineers like John By, Charles Gordon, John Chard, Robert E. Lee, George Meade, Coulson Norman Mitchell. I was wondering if anyone knew of any famous military engineers past or present and their contributions to miltary engineering.

I jsut want to spread the word and pay respect, wear respect is due. i guess its in military engineers natures as industrious and unassuming individuals to not seek flamboyent attention, but it would be nice to acknowledge a pivotal contribution to the combat arms and the CF in general.

Also, I was wondering about some engineering customs and traditions. for example why engineers mess uniforms include spurs and a 1 inch scarlet stripe on there pants associating them with heavy cavalry? Why is it that in Canada they have the Royal Canadian Infantry Corps, Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, Royal canadian Armoured Corps, but I‘ve never as of late heard the Canadian Military Engineers referred to with the prefix Royal. Funyy being as the Queen is the Colonel-in-Chief!!?

Actually pre-unification we were called Royal Canadian Engineers but upon unification we lost the title and are now just called Canadian Military Enigneers.

Originally posted by Nfld_Sapper:
[qb] Actually pre-unification we were called Royal Canadian Engineers but upon unification we lost the title and are now just called Canadian Military Enigneers. [/qb]
The Corps lost the Royal in 73/74 not on unification which was 68.

Was it one of those Trudeau things, where they were trying to get rid of ewverything that ties us to Britain. Like the RCAF, RCN, he even tried getting rid of the R from the RCMP !!!

Boo Trudeau...I like how Royal Canadian Military Engineers sounds...I am going to call them that anyways and get everyone to yell at me...

Hey dont boo Trudeau. He was actually only one of the few PM‘s to give a hoot about the military.

:salute:

Back