• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Met Tech Info?

Leo791989

If you really want to become an officer or a member of the CF, you may want to develop some initiative.  Please find above, a lot of topics on this subject, which you asked about, and I wasted my time SEARCHING for and merging all together for your READING pleasure.  ::)

G.Wallace,
firstly, I apologize for being a little impatient and not taking the initiative in searching for questions. Secondly, thanks for compiling all the info and doing the search.
Again sincere apologies and I'll be careful next time.
Thank You

Any met techs could tell me what kinda hours you have to work. Is it a shift work or otherwise?
Also wherebouts you get posted and for how long?
Thanks

Met Techs at the Pte/Cpl level usually work either eight or twelve hour shifts. If we are on eight hour shifts we usually work two days(0700-1500), two evenings(1500-2300) then two nights(2300-0700) followed by four days off. With twelve hour shifts it's usually two days(0700-1900), two nights(1900-0700) followed by four days off.

Your first posting as a Met Tech will to an air base where you will be an observer. The first posting tends to be two to three years these days, though the trade is in the middle of a major restructuring so things are prone to change on short notice.

If you have any more questions just ask, I'll do my best to answer them.

So from the sounds of it, seems like a wonderful trade to be in with lots of free time on your hand?

While it's true we get a lot of free time there are drawbacks like any trade. We work on weekends and holidays, often alone and when the weather is good there isn't much to do. It can get very boring working twelve hour shifts when you have only five minutes work each hour, though it does leave lots of time to lurk on these boards.

Weatherdog
you're right there is always a drawback when you have to work weekends/holidays etc.
If you choose to, would you be able to take part time courses (online/independent study), providing there is some free time in this trade?

Once you learn you duties and have completed you QL4 it is encouraged, so long as you don't let your studies interfere with you job.

If you have any more specific questions PM me, I don't want to clutter up the boards too much. :)

Is there a need for Metreological Technician(s) in the Forces these days or no?

Yes there is, but I'm not sure how many are being recruited. It would be best to speak with your recruiter about the specifics, I'm sure they would be more than glad to give you the information you need.

Don't forget that each ship has a couple Met Techs, even though all Met Techs are Air Force, odds are you will end up on a ship at some point in your career.

I am loaded on course in..March 2007. Seems like eternity from now. I am thiking about OJT - to learn first hand about my new trade and to pass my time more or less in productive manner, instead of shooting s..t in PAT platoon.
Right now I am stationed in Borden, and thinking about asking for OJT in Winnipeg, or Shilo,may be.
Do you have an idea,which place is really good for OJT? I am leaning towards Manitoba, because I will not have to relocate twice,and will be staying at the same place for OJT and course,too.

The best places you could go for OJT are the airbases with an observing programme, Cold Lake, Comox, Bagotville, Greenwood, and Trenton. As a QL3 your job will be weather observing so going to a base like Shilo or Winnipeg where they don't observe won't really help you much.

Hi.

I just applied to the air force a few weeks ago. I picked Met Tech for one of my choices. I've always found weather and the military interesting. But how often do they run this course? Once a year? Twice? And what are the chances of me getting this (it was my first choice) opposed to my second and third choice (on the application form)? Do they normally give you your first choice or does the fact that they in need of people in my second and/or third choices play any sort of role when they make you a position offer.

Thanks

Yup. Until the middle of Aug any way. What can I do for ya? (bearing in mind that I'm in Borden on course at the moment)

BernDawg said:
Yup. Until the middle of Aug any way. What can I do for ya? (bearing in mind that I'm in Borden on course at the moment)

Thanks for your reply, BernDawg. I am posted to Cold Lake,and have tons and tons of questions.
Prices..They say, groceries are "expensive"...Is it true?
Car insurance - which companies are most affordable?
PMQ? Which ones are "good", which ones are not?
Schools - are they on base or off base? Buses?

I should stop by now...:) If you answer at least part of my questions, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

There is an army news clip about Met Techs if anyone's interested.  Thought it may be pertinent.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_5.asp

Back