• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess kit

View attachment 80997
Your going to show hem your pet snake?

You Got It Reaction GIF

No need for any tricks. Just wear the tuxedo like this guy to impress the Subbies and the ladies

1698861730480.png

Could you post a copy here please?

Well, in Canadian Army Dress Instructions, it says . . .

10. Wearing of Army Mess Dress by Former Members of the CAF. Former members of the CAF who wore an Army mess dress and who released for a reason other than misconduct shall seek permission for wear by the appropriate authority. Comd CA authorizes a CO organizing a mess event to permit the wear of Army mess dress by former members when attending a military function, at which the wearing of mess dress is appropriate. If permission is granted, the retired member shall wear the uniforms and insignia which applied when they last served. This permission reflects the Army’s desire to extend the concept of corps and regimental family and dignity beyond release. The CO who is responsible for the mess event shall deny a request if the retired member, as a guest, does not wear mess dress in appropriate and authorized manner.

And in MINUTES OF CANADIAN ARMY DRESS AND CEREMONIAL COMMITTEE (CADCC) MEETING 01/19 HELD ON 12 JUN 2019 AT 13:00

16. Wear of No. 2/No. 2A Mess Dress by Former Serving Members. There is administration underway to recommend that former serving members be permitted to wear their Army Mess Dress at DND/military functions based on the authority of the local CO of the event. If supported, the former member would be required to tailor their uniform by adding an embroidered “R” at a designated location on the uniform. The change is being considered to support the concept of military family beyond retirement and to ease the administration of these many requests on the chain of command. The embroidered “R” insignia would be sold at CANEX stores (incl. on-line sales) and a CANARMYGEN will be promulgated when the administration is completed.
Item Open (Army SM)

And in MINUTES OF CANADIAN ARMY DRESS AND CEREMONIAL COMMITTEE (CADCC) MEETING 01/19 HELD ON 12 JUN 2019 AT 13:00
As long as the "R" isn't required to be on the forehead...though I know a few people where that would be appropriate, though would stand for something other than retired...

Yes, I'm retired and in our minds we are look and act as like 007 :D
Hey, now that they admitted that 007 is more of a “call sign” than a specific person, you can be any 007 you want.

Hey, now that they admitted that 007 is more of a “call sign” than a specific person, you can be any 007 you want.
I made a fake patient chart up one time on sick parade to play games with one of the docs during sick parade - LCdr Bond, J. MOC 82A, SN H75 454 007...he actually went out to the waiting area and started to call them up and then did a double take and realized someone was playing games...

how about leaving the R out of the mix. nobody is going to fool anyone that they are a serving whatever rolling around in a mess jacket and overalls. family is family at the dinner table.

Reactions: ueo
For those who want to wear their mess dress again, this is the new direction from the updated dress manual.

Mess Dress (No 2). The wear of Mess Dress (No 2 or 2A only) after release is permitted. Former members are to wear the style of Mess Dress authorized by their Branch/Corps or Regiment at the time of their release, this includes their rank, decorations, skill insignia which they were entitled to. To distinguish retired members from serving members, retired members are to wear the distinctive CAF Retiree Insignia on the lower left sleeve of the mess dress jacket 1.5 cm above the cuff, or any embellishment including PO1/WO, CPO2/MWO or CPO1/CWO rank insignia

Since I couldn't find any further reference to said insignia, I asked the question. Here's the reply.

"The distinctive CAF Retiree Insignia that is mentioned in Para 31b of Chap 2 of the CAF Dress Manual is an item that is approved and currently in production. During the re-write of Chapter 2 it was decided to include this item even before it was made available to ease the release of the new chapter and avoid several releases in the same year. The CAF Retiree Insignia will be available in the coming months through Canex once they complete the production of them.

Until such time that the insignia is release and amended RCAF Dress update is released, the Comd RCAF has delegated authority to Wing Commanders to approve the wearing of the RCAF Mess Dress by former members when attending a military function, at which the wearing of Mess Dress is deemed appropriate. Request shall not be approved for member released for misconduct. If permission is granted, the retired member shall wear the uniform and insignia which applied when they last served. Members who are unable to identify the appropriate Wing Commander for such approval can submit their request directly to the RCAF CWO EA for consideration. "

I expect the Army and Navy have similar direction, but I don't have access to it.

Cheers

Thank you kindly, but I will wear a gown.

But if other people want to get more wear out of the most expensive outfit they will ever own, they can fill their boots as I am concerned. I won't judge (unless it doesn't fit).

Thank you kindly, but I will wear a gown.

But if other people want to get more wear out of the most expensive outfit they will ever own, they can fill their boots as I am concerned. I won't judge (unless it doesn't fit).
Yeah... I get the whole "buy a Tux" line, but if I spent $1-2K on a Tux equivalent, I'd want to wear it again too.

I think k a lot of the pushback comes from the whole "I'm too Kool for the CAF now" crowd... the same ones that wear medals on their suit/tux at every opportunity.

Yeah... I get the whole "buy a Tux" line, but if I spent $1-2K on a Tux equivalent, I'd want to wear it again too.

I think k a lot of the pushback comes from the whole "I'm too Kool for the CAF now" crowd... the same ones that wear medals on their suit/tux at every opportunity.

Maybe we should be able to claim mess kit then.

I spent (in mid 90s dollars)$500 on mess kit that lasted me 25+ years (with occasional investments to change rank / repaid crud damage). Now that I'm out, another $500 for a tux seemed reasonable.

To often I see released members who don't have a post-CAF identity, which is troubling.

Back