• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Media respect for the fallen & thier families

caldwell was hardly out of line. We've said exactly the same thing time and again, rhetorically. Now he has someone with the stones and knowledge to answer him.

Rhetorically, perhaps.   

I don't think David Akin can validly answer what results are produced from a google search, or why other parts of the media tell stories the way they do.     

If it's possible to elevate the rant to a rhetorical level, that's what I was trying to do. I doubt I succeeded.

First, let me say of all the Cdn broadcast networks, CTV is easily the best. I watched Newsnet over the weekend trying to gain information on these incidents and got not only hard news, but lucid commentary. On CBC I got hourly reports and Antiques Roadshow.

But it was a rhetorical question, not polite and rhetorical, just rhetorical.

David Akin might not be able to answer as to why google produces only one hit, but he might be able to muse on why that one hit did not have a CTV byline. In as much as he can influence his editor that is his responsibility. In as much as he owes me an answer: whatever.

My responsibility here, and the very limited sense of this topic, is just to be a bother (although I succeed elsewhere at this without trying; I am sure). I freely admit that it may have appeared unfair, biased and occasionally sounded bitter. But I wouldn't have wasted forty five minutes writing the post if I thought David Akin was some low level troll from the local shopping mall rag....

Edit: just to corrrect a grammar error

While we are sitting here and ranting about the media has anyone ever noticed when CBC is describing casualties they list troops as killed or "injured" when fighting Taliban or al Queda but when killed by "friendly fire" they refer to those killed or "wounded".

Now I have a problem with the use of the word "injured" as it is used. My personal opinion is that these troops are not injured but are in fact wounded! Injured makes me think of sports injuries or an accident around the house whereas wounded leaves no doubt about how the attained that status.

I just found it sickening that the CBC with their anti-conservative, anti-American bias would stoop to choice of words to get in their anti-American dig! Why do they have a problem with the word "wounded" when fighting our enemy, maybe they wish for the glory days of Cyprus/Golan peacekeeping and can't stomach the idea that we indeed have a fighting army who are fighting in a war!

Sorry folks, I have a special dislike for about 99% of the media, don't trust them, don't believe them, and honestly think the world would be a better place without that 99% of them!

CBC news is doing a piece now here in Halifax that is just making me  :rage:

Asking people in Truro if we should get out of Afghanistan, and the first girl was 18ish, giggling and saying yes.

Not biased at all, the report by Jim Nunn that was just on.  ::)

For David Akin,

Kudos for coming on here, as others have already said. You may have noticed that when it comes to military issues, most of us wear our heart on our sleeve, right under the Maple Leaf. It is virtually impossible to explain why we are like this to someone who has not served in the military, but we tend to close ranks to defend against any perceived or real slights.

We are now under the media and public spotlight to a greater degree than at any time I can recall in my 20 plus years. What we tend to see in the media is often the sensational, but i understand that. For the folks on the ground doing the job every day, it is not so easy to understand, and I suspect that you will always see us pressuring the media to report on more than the "bad" stuff.

Cpl Caldwell is right; the reporting from Kandahar is coming from someone behind the Hesco. There is a reason for that as well, and it probably won't sit well with most on here.

The majority of embedded media are under strict rules not to leave the camp, in case they miss something. The MSM here rely on their embedded media for regular updates on activities, and if one of these media is out on a 6-10 day patrol, and something happens like a blue on blue or a casualty, the networks will not be able to use their embed to cover it. It is as plain and simple as that. 

David
I watched your piece on the 11pm news last night...you're a class act man. I understand that at times your job is frustrating and that maybe you've had to be aggressive or a little rude to get politicians to answer in a straight forward manner...that goes with the territory of politicians for they are naturally evasive so they can't be pinned down.

Keep on respecting the vulnerable ones please...widows/widowers or worried spouses are not people to be played with and embarrassed...leave them alone and let my profession help them (Padres) or other helping professions as they choose. I do agree that sometimes they want to make sure that people know how great their spouse was and they show great strength under the media glare...Marnie Leger comes to mind and the mother of Cpl Davis...but for the most part a good deal of discretion and respect needs to be afforded them, especially in the initial 24 hours of them receiving bad news.

Thank you.  :salute:

Back