• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medal of Honor (the game) Controversy

http://www.offdutygamers.com/2010/10/exclusive-interview-with-the-real-tier-1-operators-of-medal-of-honor/

"[ODG] You’ve no doubt heard about the controversy around multiplayer and playing as the Taliban against friendly forces but what is your opinion of this situation as someone who has been out there? If you have kids, would you be ok with them playing this game?

How does Hollywood justify using the current conflicts in anything they produce?  Lets be honest, this game is a hell of a lot less offensive than the flicks Green Zone or The Hurt Locker. Nobody took offense when the U.S. personnel in the movie were portrayed as blood thirsty assassins or off the reservation types – willing to kill their own countrymen.  Sometimes I wonder if the U.S. has become “Bizarro World”.  It has become status quo to bastardize our own men’s character, our own men’s honor.  We go above and beyond to tip-toe around the sensitivities of others yet we piss on our own.  People need to see Medal of Honor for what it is.  It is a story about the men that make up these specialized units.  It’s not a story about the enemy, current conflict or the politics that got us to where we are today.  It just happens that the Taliban are the most current of our enemies, so they’re it.  On a personal level, I’ve got no problem with bastardizing the enemy and showing them for what they are.  I’m a knuckle-dragger not a politician.  I see good and evil.  If you think throwing acid in the faces of women looking to educate themselves is good, if you think blowing up innocents at the market place is good – feel free to sympathize with the Taliban.  As far as I’m concerned, the Taliban is an enemy to the world.  They’d be a good opponent for any game of conflict as far as I’m concerned.
"

The above is a quote from a member of the U.S. Special Forces Community that helped with the development of the game. You can find the full interview here:

http://www.offdutygamers.com/2010/10/exclusive-interview-with-the-real-tier-1-operators-of-medal-of-honor/

opp550 said:

I love some of the quotes in there:

"And, it’s a sure bet that we’re going be playing Medal of Honor.  It’s awesome."
"But never has it been as insightful or will resonate as strongly as this one."

I can kind of see these quotes as becoming testimonials.  :p

It's coming out tomorrow. I'm still not sure if I want to get it, so I'm waiting for the reviews. I still have a decent backlog of games to play through and get the platinum trophy anyways, as well as actual schoolwork and all the other things I need to do.

opp550 said:
It's coming out tomorrow. I'm still not sure if I want to get it, so I'm waiting for the reviews. I still have a decent backlog of games to play through and get the platinum trophy anyways, as well as actual schoolwork and all the other things I need to do.

Same here... I have to decide between MOH and the new Call of Duty. You can only afford so much  ;)

If you can only buy one game make it space marine in April ;)

Don't leave out Force Unleashed 2 or starwars the old republic (2010 one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWUULDbt7yk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TucCAniiKLw

I bought Medal of Honour, I'll probably rent Black ops (and the two starwars games) and see if they're worth while to buy.

If MOH gets shining reviews, I'll probably get it when I can. If it doesn't, I'll wait for CoD. However, my acquiring of either FPS 1 or FPS 2 will not affect whether I spring for Fallout: New Vegas, which I am also watching for the reviews. I'm not the biggest fan of preordering considering the fact the developer has the possibility of screwing up(C&C4 comes to mind).

EDIT: I've never really been into Star Wars games

Grimaldus said:
Check the youtube videos, they look pretty badass.

They're actually making me lean towards Black Ops.... The multiplayer for MOH seems pretty much exactly like MW2.

At least the new CoD has some pretty neat, new maps (e.g. Vietnam jungles).
:2c:

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_11936/Medal_of_Honor

One of the early reviews for Medal of Honor.
From this and some of the other reviews, it looks like I'm waiting for Black Ops and New Vegas. Unless everyone else gives it better ratings, I'm likely not gonna get it.

Instead of the tired old classes like Rifleman, machinegunner, spec ops, sniper YAWN they should throw in some zingers.

Cooks with cleavers, Vehicle mechanics with wrenches and air impact guns, clerks with PTSD that throw razor sharp sheets of paper, supply techs that strangle you with laces or shove socks in your mouth. Truckers that just roll over everything, posties that throw package bombs.

The new COD is made by Treyarch. Lets not forget the botch-job they did with World at War. I have a feeling "Black Ops" is just going to be Modern Warfare 2 with dedicated servers (for PC) and a handful of new maps. The new game modes seem decent, but I think it won't be worth paying 70 bucks for.

Grimaldus said:
Instead of the tired old classes like Rifleman, machinegunner, spec ops, sniper YAWN they should throw in some zingers.

Cooks with cleavers, Vehicle mechanics with wrenches and air impact guns, clerks with PTSD that throw razor sharp sheets of paper, supply techs that strangle you with laces or shove socks in your mouth. Truckers that just roll over everything, posties that throw package bombs.

I like your way of thinking....... ;D

Grimaldus said:

Are you talking about Team fortress 3? ;D

PuckChaser said:
The new COD is made by Treyarch. Lets not forget the botch-job they did with World at War. I have a feeling "Black Ops" is just going to be Modern Warfare 2 with dedicated servers (for PC) and a handful of new maps. The new game modes seem decent, but I think it won't be worth paying 70 bucks for.

They have also talked about taking out or altering many of the perks of MW2 and they are making grenade lauchers harder to obtain. Then again, MW2 toom out the dogs and veteran granade spam of WaW and replaced them with a new set of problems...

I have unfortunately been put off CoD games for life because of MW2. I'm not going to waste my time or money on that garbage ever again.

Medal of Honor seems like the better buy here. Something original vs. a wannabe made by the people who made World at War (Oh God).

Black Ops also doesn't look like a new game at all and the campaign doesn't seem worth it.

Did I mention it was made by the people who made World at War?

Looks like the game is getting average reviews.  That's to bad because I really wanted to play a game set during Operation Enduring Freedom.  Looks like I'll have to wait for Space Marine or the new Bioshock if I want a decent FPS and I'll continue to play Arma:2 for my war-sim fix.  Black Ops has no appeal to me at all since Treyarch hasn't made a decent game in years and Activision is screwing us again on dedicated servers. 

Grimaldus said:

Sounds a bit like an M rated version of Mario games ;D

Back