• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Med Tech Enhancement Training

transvap0r

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone attended the new enhancement training in Borden this summer yet? How was the course? What is being taught on it? Any info would be great!

We briefly touched upon it in this thread. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36097.15.html
The fifth serial is currently running right now at CFMSS, and there are a number of of members here
who have already taken it.

I already read that thread, but no one talks about the enhancement training at all really... I was looking to see if anyone who has taken the course would want to share what they spefically teach on the course (ie. do they teach IV's, IM/SC injections, venipuncture, ECG's, etc etc etc)

Thanks

Here you go, a list of the PO.

PO 001 Assess Pt
EO 001.18  Obtain a 12 lead EKG
EO 001.19  Operate a Monitor Defibrillator

PO 002 Treat Pt
EO .15  Pack a wound
EO .18 Assist with casting
EO .20 Describe Psych conditions

PO 003 Administer Meds
EO .03 Administer parenteral meds
EO .04 Initiate IV

PO 005 Conduct med ops in a field environment
EO .04 Operate field lighting and heating equipment
EO .07 Conduct med ops tasks under environmental conditions

PO 007 Perform Pt Holding Procedures
EO .01 Prep pt unit
EO .02 assist with pt mobility
EO .03 assist pt with personal hygiene
EO .04 prep a pt for a meal
EO .05 describe prep of pt for diagnostic procedures
EO .06 describe post op pt care

PO 010 Perform lab procedures
EO .02 obtain venous blood sample with a vacutainer.

There you go.  Happy now?

haha Old Medic, I KNOW you were there.

Of those PO's, some are kinda skimmed by.  As well they should be.  Part of it is running the genny/lamp/stove/explosion heater, and anyone who took the QL4 before 2005, (as is the course req)  then they should have not trouble doing those tasks. 

Its a good course.  I got away from Wainwright and kind of considered it a 3 week working vacation.

I think it's funny they actually teach stoves/ lanterns/ generators/ immersion heater on the enhacement training... we are taught it several times a year at our unit, especially on a winter ex/indoc... you think they could use that time to teach something else medical, maybe more time on 12-lead ECG interpretation

You mean any time on 12 lead interpretation?

You just take the thing, you're not expected to interpret it.

Agreed, any knowlegde you pick up on ECG's come on the job, same with casting.

All said though, its a worthwhile course.  Lots of good time practicing invasive techniques.

Back