• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Corps probe video showing troops "urinating on dead Taliban"

• Thread starter Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date Start date
RDJP said:
Got any hard statistics to prove that the death penalty DIDN'T stop anyone from committing a murder?

I've never argued that you'll ever stop "everyone". I've argued that simple "jail time" for offenders after the fact is NOT a deterrent to prevent FUTURE acts (if it were, there'd be NO murders in Texas). Just like the medical profession teaches PREVENTATIVE medicine (ie teaching the "right" way from the wrong way and ways to MINIMIZE the risks), the Corps needs to deal with this on that front TOO.

Since we talked about Texas, something worked to lower the rate.  I don't know what it is. 

Technoviking said:
Since we talked about Texas, something worked to lower the rate.  I don't know what it is.

Recessional immigration to Juarez ...

Im about to drift out of my lane here Armyvern- I dont want to make any assumptions. But we have our share of anomalies that pop up here in Canada too despite training and clearly defined expectations. Although generally speaking they dont happen on deployment in uniform they do have a significant impact on public perceptions. And when they do we stress that they arent indicative of the organization as a whole even though they affect the reputation of the whole organization.

If you are speaking from a civil liability/ "we told them not to" type of position then such a program may be effective. But having sat through sharp and any number of ethics presentations I dont believe that these (the only reference points I have for what you are suggesting) really made any difference. I of course can't say they didn't for sure but I sat in the class with one feollow in particular who went on to do some pretty terrible crimes so I may be skewed. I dont believe you can teach an unethical, unsavoury type to be an ethical decision maker. I think they can fool you for a while but sooner or later they revert to their roots.

dogger1936 said:
It's a sheep.

At the same time some of their buddies were probably saying "It's just a dead Taliban".

I finally watched that video and it's brutal.
Those soldiers are fucking around having a laugh at bashing a sheep to death with a baseball bat. You can hear the bat dinging off the sheeps horns and stumbling all over the place.
They didn't have a knife or couldn't take it out back and shoot it? Or even break it's neck?

It's easy to say it's just a stupid sheep. They're ugly and they smell and their annoying so the GAF factor is low.  It wouldn't be such a joke if it was a dog they were beating the shit out of.  When you start justifying that type of behavior everything goes down hill.

dogger1936 said:
It's a sheep.

PMED moe I bet it was an excellent BBQ.

Fuck you.  I'm not against killing animals for food.  Just not that way.  An aluminum baseball bat?  Please.  ::)

(Apologies for the harsh language.)

recceguy said:
Between tossing puppies off cliffs, pissing on dead enemies and beating a defenseless sheep to death, I have to wonder where the Corps priorities lie today.

The whole topic disgusts me.

These are not the same kind of soldiers that raised their flag over Iwo Jima, IMHO.

Completely agree.

On another train of thought. Isnt that ACU's their wearing? Making them US army and not marines?

The story I read in the Daily Mail stated they were Army not Marines. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089462/U-S-Army-probe-launched-sickening-video-soldiers-cheering-man-beats-sheep-death-baseball-bat.html

jollyjacktar said:
The story I read in the Daily Mail stated they were Army not Marines. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089462/U-S-Army-probe-launched-sickening-video-soldiers-cheering-man-beats-sheep-death-baseball-bat.html

If that is true, I'll recant, somewhat.

The Corps still has the same problem. Just not as many broadcast examples.

Now the caveat.

Unfortuately, it's not confined to just the Corps, quite obviously.

recceguy said:
If that is true, I'll recant, somewhat.

The Corps still has the same problem. Just not as many broadcast examples.

Now the caveat.

Unfortuately, it's not confined to just the Corps, quite obviously.

As others have commented on this sickening video, Container in particular, it is a small representation of numbers from a large organization.  I'm sure the same if true for Yanks as it is for us in that the CF is representative of Canadian Society as a whole.  Society has a few f'tards and s'heads per/1000 and the forces will sadly have too.  Our newspapers don't really report this stuff, but I read the Daily Mail (UK) every day and in that paper frequently there are stories from the UK of young people committing the most horrific crimes against animals.  Just as sick, depraved and disgusting as this poor animal's demise.

What is new, as I have bitched before is the need for some to film and post this s'hit on the internet for all to see.  You can't indeed fix stupid and I'm sure there will be some "Bubbas" out there in the future who will be just as disgusting and bring shame on the whole organization by their despicable actions.  One can only hope that Command will swiftly take the appropriate actions to root out an punish those who do cross the line.  It will, sadly, happen again.  Don't kid yourself.

jollyjacktar said:
As others have commented on this sickening video, Container in particular, it is a small representation of numbers from a large organization.  I'm sure the same if true for Yanks as it is for us in that the CF is representative of Canadian Society as a whole.  Society has a few f'tards and s'heads per/1000 and the forces will sadly have too.  What is new is as I have bitched before, the need for some to film and post this s'hit on the internet for all to see.  You can't indeed fix stupid and I'm sure there will be some "Bubbas" out there in the future who will be just as disgusting and bring shame on the whole organization by their despicable actions.  One can only hope that Command will swiftly take the appropriate actions to root out an punish those who do cross the line.  It will, sadly, happen again.  Don't kid yourself.

I hold no such illusions, I've been around way to long to kid myself.

Unfortunately, their typical solution just seems to be a release.

So, I guess if you want out, or the tour has gotten too long, or you just didn't want to be there in the first place (insert reason here), just get your buddy to film you showing that you have the moral turpitude of an amoebae, post it to the internet, and you'll be drinking Buds at the hometown quarry in no time.

Perhaps a suitable and just punishment would be to sentence them to several years incarceration in the general population in Guantanamo.

I'm sure that it would make for some good cultural sensitivity training. :nod:

recceguy said:
I hold no such illusions, I've been around way to long to kid myself.

Unfortunately, their typical solution just seems to be a release.

So, I guess if you want out, or the tour has gotten too long, or you just didn't want to be there in the first place (insert reason here), just get your buddy to film you showing that you have the moral turpitude of an amoebae, post it to the internet, and you'll be drinking Buds at the hometown quarry in no time.
Young soldiers do get bored and find antics to get up to.  I'm sure there was some Centurion who was pulling his hair over his youngsters, and it has been suggested that Hadrian's wall was just such a venture to keep the kids occupied.  It's just a shame that they choose this path instead of some of the others you have seen posted on the net such as the guys doing the "telephone" music video etc.  Harmless stuff and creative for a change.

cupper said:
Perhaps a suitable and just punishment would be to sentence them to several years incarceration in the general population in Guantanamo.

I'm sure that it would make for some good cultural sensitivity training. :nod:

Like I said earlier. Leavenworth is still open. 5 years in USDB should set a good example.

jollyjacktar said:
Young soldiers do get bored and find antics to get up to.  I'm sure there was some Centurion who was pulling his hair over his youngsters, and it has been suggested that Hadrian's wall was just such a venture to keep the kids occupied.  It's just a shame that they choose this path instead of some of the others you have seen posted on the net such as the guys doing the "telephone" music video etc.  Harmless stuff and creative for a change.

I was under no such illusion back then, although at that time, I only attained the rank of Decanus ;).

I felt we had progressed as humans and times had changed since then.

Damn! :pullhair: Wrong again for the second time this century. :facepalm:

And with that, I'm out. I've come full circle with my opinion.

L8tr :salute:

For those who feel the Taliban get dehumanized by the West (Scott Taylor is one), I submit they do a fine job dehumanizing themselves all on their own.  Barbarians.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2090165/Taliban-releases-horrific-video-executions-15-Pakistani-soldiers.html

jollyjacktar said:
For those who feel the Taliban get dehumanized by the West (Scott Taylor..........

Oops, my GAF meter ran low as soon as I saw that name.

I get your point though.

Back