• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for input regarding Reserves (Combat Arms)

36andCounting

Inactive
Reaction score
I'll preface all this by putting the following out right away:

I'm 36, in University (3rd year), relatively fit, married, and was a base bratt for many years.

My father was career military NCO before taking the Golden Handshake some years back.

I'd done five years in the cadets, and had always intended to join the military, but the climate in the early 90's and input from the old man convinced me at the time it wasn't the right move.

Now, many years later, I find myself still checking the Reserves sites, and wondering if I'm too late along in life to have the opportunity to contribute to the Reserves, especially in the Combat Arms ("A Young Man's Pursuit").

I have family that are active service on both coasts, many friends serving in a range of roles (Air force, Navy, and Army).  I'm not entirely oblivious to the realities of military life, and the difference between Reserves and Reg Force.

In your opinions, is 36 realistically too late to be looking at joining a Combat Arms reserve unit?  I'm aware that the local unit is actively recruiting (Blackwatch, Montreal), but imagine their primary target group to be the 16-20.  Does someone my age stand a chance, or am i potentially wasting unit resources and setting myself up to fail.  My concern is that mandate and unit liability would prevent someone from being frank and giving me the straight of it all.

Any and all thoughts, comments from the board would be welcome.

If you go to the Recruiting forum and SEARCH "too old" you will find several topics that will cover that question. 

I have a Pte, with a PhD, who joined the Reserves after his daughter became a Sgt in a Reserve unit in BC.  He is doing just fine.

36 places you still in the 'coming out of the "young pup" category'.  You still have a long way to go to become an old fart.  ;D

I just finished BMQ(L) with a 50 year old infanteer, and a there was a good portion of my reserve BMQ that was in the 26-36 year old catagory.  As George Wallace said, you still have a long way to become an old fart, and who knows, they might be looking for somone not in the 16-20 year old catagory.

I am 41 and I just finished BMQ(L). From the description of yourself I don't see a problem.

Thanks for the direction to the appropriate forum (and Search).  It's proving interesting to see the myriad of experiences, and thanks also to those who've taken the time to post in this thread.  It's reassuring to hear that it's at least not shocking for a man of my age, or with a few extra years under the belt, to be joinging.

This site has proven a god send in so far as information, albeit a bit of a challenge to find some of it given the sheer volume of material lol  A lot of a good thing.

Again, thanks to you all for taking time to offer some input.

I just finished PRes BMQ. There was an infantry guy on course who was 41 and a combat engineer who was 49. The guys had no problems and were in the top half of the course fitness wise. I am 38 and won the course push-up competition.  So, that should provide some comfort. My advice is you are not too old, and to give it a go.

Back