• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Letters of Reference

Future Unknown said:
Hi, I'm wondering if theres a way I can get my recommendation from the recruiting office.
one of my officers handed it in and I was thinking I could use it to apply for other jobs as well.
My officers cool with the idea and even offered to be a refrence, I would still like to have his recommendation to hand in with my resume

Are you talking about the reference letters you handed in with your application or are you referring to the report that is written on you by the military career counsellor?

Are you talking about the reference letters you handed in with your application or are you referring to the report that is written on you by the military career counsellor?

That would be very interesting to see, although the officer who interviewed me was very candid (which I appreciated) with me and advised me of my score. He dropped my score because I had previously turned down an offer for reg force R031 and now joined reserve R031. Am I allowed to see my own file? If not, no biggy, if so, it'd be cool to take a gander at it.

Joe

R031 Pte Joe said:
That would be very interesting to see, although the officer who interviewed me was very candid (which I appreciated) with me and advised me of my score. He dropped my score because I had previously turned down an offer for reg force R031 and now joined reserve R031. Am I allowed to see my own file? If not, no biggy, if so, it'd be cool to take a gander at it.

Joe

Not without submitting an access to information act request.

I'm refereing to the letter "I" handed in actually  my officer handed it in himself I've never actually seen the letter

Future Unknown said:
I'm refereing to the letter "I" handed in actually   my officer handed it in himself I've never actually seen the letter

Go to the CFRC/D and ask for a copy.

it says in my information guide

"two letters of reference for officer applicant"

This doesn't apply to someone who's going for NCM does it? I just want to make sure. I don't want to go running around and find out I didn't have to do it because I wasn't applying for Officer.

Thank you ahead of time.

On my sheet it says officers require 3 references and ncm's require two.
I got my aunt(family friend of my mom's longer than I have been alive) and an awesome friend in Ottawa to write them out and fax them to me. They both had them to me within 24 hours.

I am applying for reserves and when sent the forms, I was giving 2 forms for Letter of References. On my information guide they sent me, it states (under supporting documentation) "two letters of reference for officer applicant." From what I get out of it, both Regs and Reserves are required to have the same. This could be a typo and maybe I could be wrong. Best advice I could give is to contact the recruiting office and ask them, as to save yourself the heartache when you find out you may or may not need any additional letters. The recruters are only people too and Im sure they live by the same rule of thumb "Theres no such thing as a dumb question." I wish you much luck in whatever you do

Shari Bradbury

Hey springroll,

You better check with the recruiters as im not sure if a letter from a family member is gonna cut it! Im sure itss till the same as when i did it in 94 or so, you will need somebody official like a former employer of a school teacher, principle, doctor, police officer, scout leader, girl guide leader, swim coach anything offical etc...somebody in your family cant be trusted to give a letter that they can take serious as unbiased in my opinion but like i say you should check, but if the latter might save some time from you in the long run!

Kuna 8)

Do you think the head of my program at school would be acceptable? I've known her for roughly 6 months but I'd say she knows me and the rest of the students pretty well.

Cheers

When i was talking to a recruiter he told me that of the 2 references i needed, only 1 needed to have known me for 5 years.

Even though on the sheet it sai di needed 2 that have known me for 5 years.
I brought in 2 references, one that knew me for 5+ years and one thats kn own me for 4 years and there wasnt a problem.

When I was getting ready to hand in my application I asked four people for letters, just in case a couple didn't get them in to me in time.  At the time that I actually handed them in I had three, so I asked if I could hand all of them in, rather than pick out two.  They said of that was fine.  The fourth was given to me the next day, but he had made a couple of mistakes on it anyway so it was OK!

As far as who I got to do the letters; one was a co-worker, one was a manager from my former job, one was a friend who rides horses with me and is in the military, and the other was someone who's known me forever as a friend, employer and coach.

(from the application package I was sent)
Who Can Be a Reference?
References are adults, who are not relatives, who
generally come from three different areas of your life,
and who, together, can provide you with at least five (5)
years of continuous coverage. It is advisable to choose
references who can provide information about you from
a variety of different perspectives.

The previous entry on this thread was correct - one of the two letters of reference needs to be from a person that has known you for more than 5 years. The other one doesn't matter. I acquired one of my letters of reference from my grade 11 law teacher who has only known me for a few years, and the other from my next door neighbour, who has known me for 7 years. All went well.

When I applied the CFRC gave me the letters which were pre-formatted and my references filled in the blanks. One question was something like: is there any reason why you think this person would not be a good candidate for the Canadian Forces? and I thought to myself....why in God's name would I ask someone who might say 'yes' to fill that out????? Not that I know anyone who would say yes....

The other question I thought was funny was something about if this person (the recruit) had any bad habits the letter writer might be aware of and my boss put: SHE WON'T QUIT SMOKING.

I handed it in and still got accepted.

Both my references had known me for over 15 years, one was a current employer and the other a very dear family friend.

The recruiter said *if they want to* your references can attach their own letter of reference to the pre-formatted reference sheets, but they don't HAVE to.

So my references just filled out the sheets by themselves without adding anything, should be fine.

If you get refrences from people already in the military would that help you out in your process ie. speed it up or anything? Kinda seems that having military refrences would be more relevant then just having friends and nieghbours fill out a sheet.

Kyle.

i got the disc from the recruiter and it says for a non officer, you dont need references?

Thanks for all the replies guys   :warstory:

I have another question!

I only really know three people that have known me for 5 years because I use to move around ALOT.

Currently the three references I can choose from are:

My Doctor (known me for about 9 years or so)

My friends mom who's in the RCMP (she's known me for 5-6 years)

And a family friend who's a Sergeant for the Delta Police (known me since I was 6-7 years)

Would these be fine considering I don't really have any other references since i've moved around atleast 20 times in my 17 years of life. Born in Montreal and travelled across Canada to BC now. My employers have all mostly been work experience and seasonal employement for 1-2 months so I don't think that would be very helpful.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated   :salute:

Back