• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Letter for CDN Military Families left behind...

R@chel

Inactive
Reaction score
I was recently contacted by a woman interested in writing to Canadian Military Family members.  Sort of a pen pal deal.  She knows of a lot of people who would lvoe to pair up with military familiy members left behind and write back and forth.  She knows how hard it is to be seperated from a loved one and really wanted to do something for the families left behind.

I let her know that I would pass this on and see if anyone was interested.  If so please feel free to PM me for more details.

Thanks.

Ok.......bear with me

I read your post and started making some calls, starting with my own family then moving on to freinds.  I even asked a freind of mine who's DH is now in the sandbox.  Although i am sure you are well intentioned, they all agreed that the last thing they need is to get letters from strangers. They are not charity cases that need to be looked after so you can feel better about yourself.  Have you not enough to occupy yourself with "red fridays", "adopt-a-soldier" and making sure you have charity status for your website ?

Enough is enough...i dont want to be adopted, i dont want strangers writting my family and i certainly dont want your website mentioned if i ever get killed while on duty and you are asked to comment.

Edit :i'm still trying to figure out what a "canadian military soupes " is.........campell ? store brand ?

Thanks for the comments.  As I said, the lady was well intentioned and I promised to pass on this info for her.  She is eldery and just really wanted to help.  With the Canandian Angels program lacking soldier, she really just wanted to connect with someone.

I think it's wonderful when people feel they want to support the troops and their families in unique ways. It is definitely the thought that counts.

Now I have to agree with cdnaviator though. I am not the family of a serving member though. However, if I was, I don't think I'd be up for pen-paling with a stranger while hubby was away. It's definitely nice to have support, but that is what friends and family are for. I think the emotions/situations and whatnot dealt with over a tour are a private thing and I would almost be weirded out by someone random writing to me about it. I know when my best friend was dealing with hubbie's deployment this past winter/spring she tended to want to keep to herself too. It's just a trying time.

Like I said, supporting the troops is great. But, lets not take it too far. Lots of people go away for work for long periods of time. Sometimes I feel like it is really over-sensationalized with the military. Yes it is a unique life, but it is also chosen by the serving member. The are paid to do what they do, and they know what goes along with that career. Sometimes I feel like people make military families out to be victims, and they need all this special attention. I have spoken to many who really don't like that. They are people living a life, just like "average joes". Definitely some different circumstances arise, but no need to feel like they need social programs.

Once again. Kudos to an elderly woman wanting to do her part in support of the troops. People like that melt my heart.

I am 50/50 on this one.

I can see the points of the previous posters here...but...maybe there are some folks who are in Canada that would like this idea?

I guess...different strokes for different folks.

I can guess ( and a guess only ) that maybe some of the loved ones left behind would benefit from / appreciate / welcome the same sort of "To Any Canadian Military Family/Loved Ones" letters from our citizens, the same way our troops do?

If nothing else, wouldn't it show that not only our small military community is behind our country's bravest, and let them know that those we serve daily appreciate not only the sarcificies off the folks in the uniform doing the business...but all those who DON'T deploy who support them back home?  Don't the families also go thru some challenges, and up's and down's, in their own way, associated with these deployments?

Just my thoughts...

I personally am not interested in receiving letter from stranger.  For one I am way too busy and for another I'm just not that kind of person.  Heck I can barely keep up with my distant family members changing sagas, let alone follow a whole new story.

That aside, I did feel it was a nice idea and figure that even though I am not the sort to go for this there may be some people who would appreciate the connection.

I know being far away from all my family it sure does get lonely at times.  I can manage, but some can not.  So I thought I would put it out there.

I just want to add my 2 cents here.

First, thank you to the elderly lady who wanted to do a little something extra.  Really, the thought is sweet.

Now, I am the girlfriend of a deployed soldier.  I get enough of the looks and the sighs and the I don't know how you do it in my day to day.  I have a hard enough time dealing with everything on my own, I don't need one more person telling me they wish me and him well.  Yes, I agree the intention was heartfelt, but my heart has enough to deal with right now, I don't need anymore strangers giving me their two cents when they themselves have not had to wear these shoes.

I am closer to siding with Mud Recce Man - maybe more of the 25/75 ratio though.  I kind of think it is great that this lady wishes to contact the families. 

We all have our own busy lives with not alot of time for extra anything - but maybe she needs to feel connected or as though she is helping - the Military in Afghanistan isn't just hitting us (the members and families) but it is also hitting the civilians who may not have any way of coming in contact with the military other than being an "angel" to our families.  (ie: citizens that live no where near a Military establishment).

Also, for many of us, Home for ourselves and our families is "where the Military Sends us" which quite often is not near any family except our "Military" Families.  So possibly her writtings may along the way help her to not only to feel connected/useful but also fulfil the needs of a Child/Family that may be not only apart from his father/mother but also their grandparents.

Just my thoughts - which are normally quite random at this hour  :boring:

PoPo

Back