• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

length of contract vs length of training

Ryokirah

Inactive
Reaction score
i had trouble finding this through searching and stickies

i'm doing a project reasearching my top trade, and i'm going with LCIS in the CF!

One thing i noticed after some reasearch...  after 13 weeks of BMQ and 10 weeks of SQ, 32 + 30 weeks for MOC training...
that's 85 weeks of training - over 1.5 years.

i was under the impression that a 3 year contract in the regs INCLUDES training time.  i would like to know if this is correct.

Yes, your contract does include training time.

3 years, however, is usually the smallest length contract they allow. For many, many trades, initial contracts will be longer than 3 years. As well, a fair amount of people will sign a new contract once their old one expires.

Ryokirah said:
i had trouble finding this through searching and stickies

i'm doing a project reasearching my top trade, and i'm going with LCIS in the CF!

One thing i noticed after some reasearch...  after 13 weeks of BMQ and 10 weeks of SQ, 32 + 30 weeks for MOC training...
that's 85 weeks of training - over 1.5 years.

i was under the impression that a 3 year contract in the regs INCLUDES training time.  i would like to know if this is correct.

That's the way it used to be. After my 2.5 years doing basic training and my trade's QL3, I was left with a scant six months on my original basic engagement. The whole system changed awhile ago, however, and different trades are offered different contract lengths depending on the amount of training. I think my old trade is up to 5 years now for the initial contract.

LCIS's VIE is four years now.  All TOS were changed a couple of years ago too reflect the training requirements of each occupation and to ensure that members actually get to use their training prior to their initial contract expiring.

Hmm thats good to know I thought it was the other way around. So your training IS included in your contract time, im hoping to get a 3 year contract in the infantry, if its good after that my plan is just to sign another if it works like that.  ???

kincanucks said:
LCIS's VIE is four years now.  All TOS were changed a couple of years ago too reflect the training requirements of each occupation and to ensure that members actually get to use their training prior to their initial contract expiring.
Correct, see the CMP (ADM HR (MIL)) Instr 05/05 for full details.

Spitfire said:
im hoping to get a 3 year contract in the infantry, if its good after that my plan is just to sign another if it works like that.  ???
Without looking at the CMP Instr 05/05, I believe the VIE for 031 Infantry is 3 years. Your second one would be your IE25, which means it would be for 22 years, so it does not work "like that". Some occupations have a clause where the 2nd TOS is a CE of sorts, but only select few have this TOS method.

PO2FinClk said:
Correct, see the CMP (ADM HR (MIL)) Instr 05/05 for full details.

alright, a year and a half of training and 2 and a half years of service seems fair to me.

i apologize again for my ignorance, but i didn't understand a single one of those acronyms.  If i could request a full spelling so i can at least search it myself?

thanks for all your prompt responses.

Ryokirah said:
alright, a year and a half of training and 2 and a half years of service seems fair to me.

i apologize again for my ignorance, but i didn't understand a single one of those acronyms.  If i could request a full spelling so i can at least search it myself?

thanks for all your prompt responses.

Cheif of Military Personel ( Assistant Deputy Minister - Human Relations (Military) Instruction 05/05

so if you sign a 3 year infantry contract, when its over if you want to resign you have to sign 22 years? that seems a little crazy to me, and that prob stops alot of people from joining. is it the same with a 4 year contract?

You can sign for the 22 - does not mean that you cannot get out before that time.

Spitfire said:
so if you sign a 3 year infantry contract, when its over if you want to resign you have to sign 22 years? that seems a little crazy to me, and that prob stops alot of people from joining. is it the same with a 4 year contract?

Where did you hear this? I just signed my 3 year contract for reg force infantry, and I'll more than likely be re-signing once that's up. But i didn't exactly have 22 more years in mind

It's not actually a contract locking you in for 22 years; there's a release clause that lets you get out with six months notice at any time.

Spitfire said:

You had better get a grip on your communication skills.  If you resign, you are quitting and therefore not doing anything near 22 more years of military service.

This topic is turning into the "Blind leading the Blind".  Please do not post rumours told you by a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend at Band Camp.  Please don't post rumours that someone has posted on Wikipedia. 

If you want the latest, then ask the Recruiting Center when you pay them your next visit.

Thanks George, I couldn't make out was he was saying either.

Why would you sign a contract if you are releasing/quitting?

Ryokirah & kr1kit: As I stated previously, some occupations have specific clauses where the 2nd TOS is a CE, and you should therefore either check the reference yourself, ask your OR or ask a Recruiter, whichever is applicable.

PS: It is not a contract, rather Terms Of Service.
PSS: There is no such thing as an "Infantry Contract".

PO2FinClk said:
Thanks George, I couldn't make out was he was saying either.

Why would you sign a contract if you are releasing/quitting?

Ryokirah & kr1kit: As I stated previously, some occupations have specific clauses where the 2nd TOS is a CE, and you should therefore either check the reference yourself, ask your OR or ask a Recruiter, whichever is applicable.

PS: It is not a contract, rather Terms Of Service.
PSS: There is no such thing as an "Infantry Contract".

thank you for that info, i'll remember that when the time comes.

So here you go, I looked at the ref provided above (CMP Instr 05/05) and the TOS Sequence for Infantry is as follows:

MOSID // MOC // DESC // TOS SEQUENCE
00010  // 031  // INFMN // VIE 3 Years  CE 3 Years  IE 25 (19 years to get you to 25 Years)

As you can see Infantry is one of those who have a "middle TOS" prior to the IE 25.

Those with DIN Access who wish to look at the ref & table can find it at this link:
http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/docs/instruction/instructions/engraph/0505_AnnA1_e.asp

Back