• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Left Handed- Am I in for a World of standardization?

Jkimmel

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking at the forums fairly frequently over the past few weeks, trying to you know answer some questions that I have had without having to speak to my CFRS. I was just wondering if I'm going to have to learn how to do everything right handed or would i be able to do things left handed. I'm sure I will not have a problem when it comes to adapting to the environment if I am to do everything right handed. I was just wondering if when it comes down to Firing or anything like that, if we do get to choose the way that we shoot. 

Jkimmel said:
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking at the forums fairly frequently over the past few weeks, trying to you know answer some questions that I have had without having to speak to my CFRS. I was just wondering if I'm going to have to learn how to do everything right handed or would i be able to do things left handed. I'm sure I will not have a problem when it comes to adapting to the environment if I am to do everything right handed. I was just wondering if when it comes down to Firing or anything like that, if we do get to choose the way that we shoot.

I don't know much but i believe the C-7 can be operated ambidextrously.
When i started playing guitar it was as hard for me to play with my left hand as it was with my right.
I stuck with right handed and now I'm awesome with a right hand guitar.
Using your hands takes skill. I'm sure many guitarists are left handed, but they've adapted to learn with a right hand guitar. It's all in your mind. You should strive for being equally good with both left and right hands. If most situation calls for right handed, then you should try to be the best with your right hand.
My 2 cents.

Whether you shoot left- or right-handed is a function of dominant eye, not dominant hand.  The C7 can be operated ambidextrously, so you'll learn to shoot whichever way you need to when the time comes.  It'll be no issue what hand you use.

Jkimmel said:
Hey Everyone,

Awesome thanks! Sorry for the trivial question but, it just was a annoying factor in the back of my mind, and I could not find the answer anywhere

Being left handed is not "all in your mind", well I suppose technically it is as it's a manifestation of the dominant nature of the right hemisphere of your brain.  You can't be hypnotised or talk yourself out of being left handed.  I served 23 years as a Combat Engineer, shot marksman every year, and am completely, unalterably left handed.  The only purpose my right arm serves is to lift heavy things, I don't rely on it for anything requiring manual dexterity.  I wouldn't be able to wipe my own arse right handed without making a COMPLETE mess of things.

I've been adapting to a right-handed world my whole life.  From scissors in kindergarten to the new skills I hope to be learning soon, being a leftie is no reason to be gauche or sinister  :D

I too am left handed, and I really wish that during basic training, that I had made the decision to learn how to shoot right handed. The eyesight isn't a big factor, as both are pretty equally corrected. But having to try to do every drill bass-ackwards is rather annoying. Maybe I'll try to make the switch the next time I do a C7 refresher, assuming that ever happens. I also haven't shot anything other than a pistol in over 3 years.

But yeah, I'll definitely have to stick to firing pistols left-handed. World of difference methinks.

I am ambidextrous and depending on the task my dominant hand changes sides.  I would love to try left hand firing on a range some time, but every time I get out there I just fall into the drilled routine.  If you shoot left I am sure you will do fine shooting left.  The t-handle has been modifies to release when pulled left or right so you will have no issue getting rounds into the pipe.....after that its all you.

You'll do fine.  The C7 does fine shooting from the left, although it is still a bit of a pain with IA and stoppages.  Still better than the old FN that liked to throw rounds on your back and the SMG which they made you shoot from the right regardless - otherwise you would get a face full of brass. 

I agree with ajp and being ambidextrous, I have shot with both sides. Depending what I am using (9mm, C7 ect...) I am better with one side or the other. Ask questions during your training and your instructors will know how to advise you to adjust if needed.

Thanks for the input everyone, you know it's awesome when people will actually like take the time to answer questions that some of us "newbies" have. I can't wait to finish my application process and begin my career. I'm young now so i figured i should take advantage of having no strings attached

gcclarke said:
I too am left handed, and I really wish that during basic training, that I had made the decision to learn how to shoot right handed. The eyesight isn't a big factor, as both are pretty equally corrected.

It's not the eyesight, corrected or otherwise, which is important (unless one eye is approaching blindness), nor the hand which is dominant, but the eye which is dominant - and that may not be the same as the dominant hand.

Loachman said:
It's not the eyesight, corrected or otherwise, which is important (unless one eye is approaching blindness), nor the hand which is dominant, but the eye which is dominant - and that may not be the same as the dominant hand.

Too true, there's a thread on here somewhere about left-eye dominant right-handed shooters and vice versa.

I don't know what it's like on the Reg force side of things, but P res, it's a bitch to get a helmet strap with the buckle on the right side for it to make it more comfortable to shoot left handed. But in the end, I made it through, at first just ask questions when being instructed on your C7 drills, but i made it through without too much difficulty the lefty chin strap really helps.

Aren't the straps in the helmet removable so you can do it yourself?    ???

I'm pretty sure one of the guys at the ranges did that a couple of weeks ago.

I am sure you can rig the strap, but they actually have a proper left hand strap so the fit is balances, as the webbing is longer back to front.  It really just gets the buckle and pad out of the way, but makes sense for a true lefty to have it.

Back