• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Policy – Weekends (time off) Merged]

After a unit function a few years back, some of our troops went downtown, where they misbehaved.

The reaction to the reports were almost nuclear and a very knee jerk response ensued: a soldier was required permission from the CoC to wear his DEUs anywhere other than military functions, and not allowed to wear them down town after functions at all.

The miscreants were never held accountable - the whole unit was punished instead.

That is about to change.  :)

George,

I see what you're saying BUT the QR & O are clear on when a Reservist is subject to the CSD.  If they aren't subjec to the CSD everthing else is moot.

There are also other 'Regulations, Rules, Orders and Instructions' that members of the CF are responsible to follow, other than just the CSD, no matter what element of the CF they may belong to.  The CSD draws on and defines parts of the National Defence Act, Security of Information Act, the National Defence Security Instruction, etc.  This means that yes, you may not fall under the "CSD", but you are still held accountable to other responsibilities under other Acts, Legislation, Regulations, etc.  The Official Secrets Act would still be binding whether you were a member of the CF, in any capacity, or not.  Could that mean that you may or could be Charged under the CSD?  Perhaps; if you were not under the Civil authorities. 

A real eye opener, recently being presented to all members of the CF and DND; Regular, Reserve, Civilian, etc. is the description of Controlled Items.  (A sidetrack introducing a whole new Topic which will have many "Collectors" becoming 'criminals'.)

To the OP,

Just wear the uniform, don't do anything to bring discredit on the CF.

Let the legal beagles and barrack room lawyers worry themselves into a tizzy over this.

You just go have a good time with your family and \ or friends.  :salute:

George Wallace said:
You can not have it both ways......In your example, the if the Reserve member is wearing a uniform, or representing the CF in any way, even out of uniform, ( This is the way I interpreted your statement.) they do fall under the CSD.  If they are participating in any function as a "civilian", and showing/indicating no affiliation to the CF, then I agree with you.

I'm a bit confused by what you're trying to say, what do you mean by have it both ways?  All I was saying is that as a reservist, permission is not required to wear your uniform to a military event.  Permission IS required if you'd like to wear your uniform to a civilian event.  Regardless of whether the event is military or civilian, you are subject to the CSD as a reservist when IN uniform.

Well said recceguy...

Pusser said "In the UK, you only wear mess kit when it's a members only event (e.g. mess dinner).  With any other formal event (e.g. dine the spouses), a dinner jacket (i.e. tuxedo) is expected and one would look (and be considered) a right fool for wearing your mess kit."

Not at the Royal Caledonian Ball (http://www.royalcaledonianball.com/) or the Stirling Ball.

Rick Goebel

I've worn my DEUs (white belt, spats and hair sporran) to an annual local police pipe band Burns Dinner consistently since '08 (spare for the one that occurred during my tour). Several former and serving CF members attend this event and not once have I been told I shouldn't be wearing it. Last year I had my picture taken, published in our local news and put up in the armoury...and no one said anything. This year, I ran into my former CO (who now works at 39CBG) and we had a great chat. He was in mess dress, and his only words to me were that if I ever find myself in possession of mess dress, things like Burns dinners are perfect excuses to wear it.

Back