• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leadership

I would agree with most of medicineman's comment.  However since you "can always tell a doctor, but can't tell him much", maybe you need to be more formal.  Service paper time?  Put it down in writing.  Not the complaints about personality clashes - that's what your having with the "supervisor".  If he is a f***tard and his responses to you personally are (in your opinion) inappropriate then deal with it as a separate issue.  As for the reorganization of the care unit (? - sorry, I left before all this new crap).  Compare the functioning of the section before and after re-org.  Use facts, number of pts seen (hourly, daily), percentage that had to be re-seen by an other (higher qualified) clinician, number of complaints, time required for training of re-assigned staff, job descriptions, existing limitations in what junior Med Techs can do, . . . 

thank you all for your thought. I would like to say that I am far from sensitive. I just had enough of this continuous type of  this kind of stuff in this unit. this is notthe first time that this particular officer have spoken like this. Nothing ever gets rectified appropriate.
If I was to talk to my supervisor or to my subordinates that way. I would
D probably hang for it!

I'm OK for changes if it's needed. But I personally feel that at least changes should be Discussed before proceeding. When I speak to my subordinates and say that we will try things this way, I ask for their thoughts (just in case I' missing something) and the reason why for the change, so that they are not blind sided.

Like I said, I'm OK with changes, but I don't need to be talked to in an aggressive tone.

“There’s a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates.”

– General George Patton

daftandbarmy said:
“There’s a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates.”

– General George Patton

Bingo. And Lew MacKenzie, Rick Hillier and Uncle Walt N will agree. I'm sure at least one other GOFO will agree.....

Blackadder1916 said:
I would agree with most of medicineman's comment.  However since you "can always tell a doctor, but can't tell him much", maybe you need to be more formal.  Service paper time?  Put it down in writing.  Not the complaints about personality clashes - that's what your having with the "supervisor".  If he is a f***tard and his responses to you personally are (in your opinion) inappropriate then deal with it as a separate issue.  As for the reorganization of the care unit (? - sorry, I left before all this new crap).  Compare the functioning of the section before and after re-org.  Use facts, number of pts seen (hourly, daily), percentage that had to be re-seen by an other (higher qualified) clinician, number of complaints, time required for training of re-assigned staff, job descriptions, existing limitations in what junior Med Techs can do, . . .

What's funny about the comments about obeying orders is, ironically, the guy not obeying orders was the MO in question.  When the Primary Care Renewal Initiative started, we had dictated to us, from the DGHS Herself, our policies and procedures on how the CDU's and MIR's would be run.  As junior and mid level leaders, it was the morale nightmare our JLC instructors hoped would never happen to us.  Our junior medics were totally marginalized, as were junior supervisors...I had it out on a number of occasions with the civilian coneheads in charge of us, not to mention some of our own officers.  It didn't help that I was the only MCpl CDU NCO I/C and the others were Sgt's.  Didn't help that my CDU - RMC - was also at the time physically removed from the rest of the unit.  The day prior to our trial starting, I went up to the Base to talk to the NO that was named the Primary Care Manager - we had no SOP book in our office...she told me that there was only one and it was going back to Ottawa that night.  My mouth just dropped open - and she started laying into me about getting on board and such...in the hallway in front of a number of people.  I pretty much snapped - I lit her up, told her I was doing my part trying to keep a mutiny in check and since this is a trial, we have to do things literally by the numbers for it to work or fail and in order to do that, the reference was required and no other unit in the CF does anything without their SOP book handy. 

I gather her and the creature we nicknamed "The Bridge Troll" spent to the wee hours in Staples pounding out copies of the SOP book, since not only my clerk, but my own unit manager and myself were the proud owners of our PCRI SOP's the next morning.

I'm not going to go into the number of times "The Bridge Troll" slighted me in particular and others in general, during the three months prior to my posting to Gagetown during that trial, but the favorite day I had was when a bunch of us ganged up on and lit up her sous chef about how things were going - we had her in tears in about 45 seconds.

As has been mentioned before, you have your orders, so go...but I'll reiterate that you do need to motivate your soldiers to keep them from snapping.  Make sure you keep notes and everyone else in the various tasks do too, including how much admin is getting messed up or missed.  Also, ensure your CSM is engaged since if there aren't any SNCO's managing flow or things go pear shaped, they will be the go to person for any complaints or issues that should really be dealt with at your level - things might change if their office door is being knocked on every 5 seconds.  My last unit where I was often acting as Clinic WO, my office was right in the waiting area of the MIR...I could fly out in a heart beat if needed, but my Sgt's and MCpl's dealt with most things.

Chin up, but don't lead with it.

MM

MM

Get some physician assistant jobs open back up in BC and I'd happily come back and run your UMS  ;D.

MM

Back