• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lawmaker: Underage Soldiers Should Be Able To Drink

BYT Driver,

You can't be deployed ANYWHERE outside of Canada into a theatre of Op unless you were 18yrs of age. That is the age of majority in Canada, and that's when they can go forth and slay the evils.

There should be no exception to the law, regardless if you are a soldier, politician, cop etc. Isn't that the whole idea of a law.  If it means that much to give a soldier a beer or 10, then change the law to lower the drinking age to 18 or what have you.

The us drinking age is not going to change. Its stupid but its here to stay.
Basically when the ages varied by state teens would go to a different state to get wasted and drive back hammered and crash.
So they choose to make the drinking age the same in all states.
And those states which set 21 as the drinking age raised it.

Personally, the drinking age in ontario should be 18 (when people go away to uni). But it doesnt matter how many die because of the higher drinking ages, groups like MADD dont care and lowering the drinking age is a vote loser. So underage drinkers will keep dying and nothing will change because thats how democracy works.
:p

:warstory: Get your helmets on:
Bakc in the 70's we could drink in the mess at age 17. I know because I did it.  In the late 80's, the Political Correctness movement started, and it infected the military. Now no military member under the age of majority can legally drink alcohol anywhere, even in the armories or on a base.

One of the reasons that underage military members were no longer able to drink in the mess is because they were stupid enough to go to other bars and cause crap there.  The change came around sometime in 1987.  It wasn't too bad in Cornwallis at the Green and Gold because you couldn't go anywhere else.  Then, when people got to Borden, they'd go to the Jr Ranks (or whatever the course bar was called), get drunk and then go to a civilian establishment.  So, as usual, a few "bad apples" spoiled it for anyone else.
Should underage soldiers be allowed to drink?  IMHO, no, it's illegal.  Until the various drinking ages change, they'll just have to wait like everyone else.

Why not take the emotion away from it and make it just another in a series of privileges you can lose if you screw up. I think they should be allowed to drink only if certified as 'alcohol entitled' by the CSM. Do the same with subalterns, who have to be certified by the Adjt regardless of age (yes, I used to be an Adjt!).

Back