• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV 6.0

One only has to look to government auctions of our vehicle fleets to see we've had lots of vehicles sold to civilians that weren't road legal. It's not due to condition, it's due to design. The old deuce and a half comes to mind for some reason.

I dont believe it was that....it was because if something happened to one part of the brake system failed, you had a complete loss of brakes.

Modern vehicles are designed that if you have a failure somewhere, the other half of the system still works...usually opposing wheels ie: front driver and rear passenger are one system

Yes and no, it was the one cylinder brake system.... loose either air or hydraulics and you won't stop.....BTW been there done that with the mlvw sev engr.....

NFLD Sapper said:
Yes and no, it was the one cylinder brake system.... loose either air or hydraulics and you won't stop.....BTW been there done that with the mlvw sev engr.....

More times than I care to recall. But it was part of the job too when you have to road test after doing work on them.

sidemount said:
I dont believe it was that....it was because if something happened to one part of the brake system failed, you had a complete loss of brakes.

Modern vehicles are designed that if you have a failure somewhere, the other half of the system still works...usually opposing wheels ie: front driver and rear passenger are one system

I had a singe master cylinder on my landrovers as well, generally replaced them with dual.

Get ready for something being announced, the Defense Minister will be at GDLS tomorrow for an announcement of some kind.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/02/10/in-london-defence-minister-harjit-sajjan-announced-404-million-to-general-dynamics-lands-systems-canada-for-laviii-upgrades

London industry has landed a $404 million military contract, preserving 250 manufacturing jobs.

General Dynamics Land Systems Canada, on Oxford Street, is getting cash from the Canadian federal government to upgrade 141 of the Canadian Army’s LAV III combat vehicles -- made in London -- extending their life to 2035.

“We are committed to delivering highly protected, flexible and capable vehicles to our soldiers and the LAV 6.0 provides the Canadian Army with best-in-class protection and mobility,” said Danny Deep, vice president of General Dynamics Land Systems Canada.

“This announcement is welcome news to the London area and to our suppliers across Canada whose jobs will be sustained with this additional work.”

The upgrade program delivers vehicles in what GDLS is calling its new LAV 6.0 configuration. The upgrades include the double-V hull, greater armour protection and mobility.

It is the second major announcement for the Canadian military's LAV III program in recent years. In 2011, Ottawa awarded GDLS Canada a $1.064 billion contract to upgrade LAVs.

This announcement brings to 550 the number of Canadian LAV IIIs, with upgrades.

video of the event via CTV

http://london.ctvnews.ca/defence-minister-announces-404m-to-upgrade-light-armoured-vehicles-1.3279265

But "upgrade" in name only - completely new hull, turret, and most other bits.

Loachman said:
But "upgrade" in name only - completely new hull, turret, and most other bits.

My issue is going back to the original upgrade announcement contract it was for 550 LAV's, so is this reannouncing or is it the remainder of the fleet getting the "upgrade"?

Different portions of the fleet were getting different ulgrades; this moves to a more common platform.

It's more complex, but that's the Reader's Digest version.

MilEME09 said:
My issue is going back to the original upgrade announcement contract it was for 550 LAV's, so is this reannouncing or is it the remainder of the fleet getting the "upgrade"?

Intent for 550 announced at first.  409 from Ph.1 contracted last year.  Remaining 141 in Ph.2 now.

Cheers
G2G

Could be that these are the LORITS that were not getting upgraded originally....

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
Could be that these are the LORITS that were not getting upgraded originally....

Jon

I know they were a mix of vehicle variants that hadn't yet been upgraded, but I can't recall what mix may have been LORITs and those that were never taken up to the LORIT standard.  I seem to recall engineer and other variants being in the final tranche of LAVUP mentioned here.  Probably a DLR website that gives all the details of the 550, but I can't find it at the moment.

Regards
G2G

Without going too far down the rabbit hole, yes, I believe this is the LORITs.

dapaterson said:
Without going too far down the rabbit hole, yes, I believe this is the LORITs.

According to articles im reading LORIT's it is.

MilEME09 said:
According to articles im reading LORIT's it is.

What happened to the LAV RWS in this whole program?  They were really good for patrolling and gave great SA in Urban environments with guns being able to be pointed in 4 directions. RWS had its issues but generally, it worked ok.  They were essentially LORIT standards without the turret.  Do they keep the RWS and were/are they upgraded to LAV 6.0 standards?

Waiting to see if my friend at GD has any information but sounds like the RWS would be included

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

For the civvies on the board (myself included)...

How will the new mechanized battalions be structured with the new LAV 6 and TAPV's?

Also is there any hope after this announcement we'll get good news on:
1.  ATGM purchase
2.  Leopard 2 Upgrades (perhaps also to a common standard)
3. Self-Propelled Howitzer acquisition
4.  HIMARS acquisition

It would seem with our commitment to put troops in Latvia opposite a very well armed Russia, it would be prudent to fast-track all of the above given that all could be completed for a relatively small sum (especially in comparison to the Air Force and Navy projects).

:salute:

The ATGM would be easy, the SPG could likely be purchased from US reserve stocks (just look at their mothballed vehicle fleet in Nevada) Upgrading the Leo's is just money and time, but could be spread out over a number of years.

Back