• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Land Force Command Physical Fitness Standards, and not meeting them.

Harbinger

Inactive
Reaction score
Here's a question that I can't find an answer for (looked through the CFAO's & DAOD's - did I miss anything?)

CFAO 50-1 -- PHYSICAL FITNESS TRAINING - states that all personnel who have completed basic trades or classification training will be evaluated annually using the CF EXPRES Program protocol. It also states the following:

"Due to varying operational and training requirements, commanders of commands may introduce special physical fitness evaluations or standards that exceed the CF minimum requirement. Such programs and standards shall be developed in conjunction with Assistant Deputy Minister (Personnel)/Director Physical Education, Recreation and Amenities (ADM(Per)/DPERA) and Surgeon General (Surg Gen) research and development cells to ensure that they are safe, appropriate and scientifically validated."

Now I'm assuming that the battle fitness test, firefighting test and SAR tech fitness tests fall under the second paragraph, (implemented by commanders) so what happens if an individual is incapable of completing these tests? 

Obviously for the fire and Sar tech tests, career action could be taken (in accordance with DAOD 4007-4 for the fire trade for example) as they are trade specific, culminating in a forced remuster or release if the test cannot be passed.  Forced remuster or release for an individual in a combat arms trade may also be sought if the member is unable to complete the BFT I assume (although I am not able to find any admin orders detailing this).

Now after the lead in, I come to the real question. What of a member who is not in the combat arms, or the army for that matter, who finds themselves posted to an army unit that demands they participate in the BFT? If they cannot pass, what administrative actions are open to the CO of this unit? Passing the BFT is not a requirement of employment for the Air Force or navy, and as long as the individual can meet the minimum physical standard as outlined in CFAO 50-1 (CF EXPRESS test), I can not see how a Recorded Warning and Counselling and Probation can be given, since there has been no performance deficiency according to the standards set out in the CFAO's. Now I'm not talking about refusal to participate, I'm talking about not being physically capable of completing the BFT, while still being capable of completing the CF express test.

The only thing I can see the CO being able to do is recommend that the member be posted out of said army unit.

Am I missing something? Am I interpreting the directives wrongly, or is there a problem with the directives, as they seem to be contradictory? I'd like an answer that doesn't break down into how lazy the af and navy is blah blah..., or what SHOULD be going on to cure all the military's problems. I'd like informed opinions, or perhaps personal testimonies on an actual event similar to this on disciplinary actions that are ACTUALLY open to the CO.

... and if anyone were looking for they answer today, they should check in DAOD 5023-2, LFCO 24-02 and the CF EXPRES Operations Manual.
CFAO 50-1 is no longer in force as it has been superseded by the DAOD.

Back