• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

knee and/or elbow pads for the infanteer

Adrian_888

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, i have been looking around this forum researching knee and elbow pads and have come up with many post and links for lots of different suggestions and types.  The problem is that for every suggestion there seems to be an argument against it, and many of the post that sound knowledgeable turn out to be from a blank profile that suggest a 15 year old cadet wrote it.  So I have come to the infantry part of the forum to get a final suggestion from those who know best about this kind of thing.

So that you have something to contradict, my best idea so far that I have came up with, are knee pads from CP gear. And for elbow pads, some volley ball ones, because I don't need a whole lot for my elbows, plus, I want to hide them so i can wear them while doing weapon drills on the concrete.

If you know what you talking about, I would like to hear it.
Thanks,
-Adrian

You know what you are going to get right ?

Some people are going to say "X" is good and that "Y" is bad....

Next guy comes along will say "Y" is good.....and "X" is bad....

Just like the other threads

CDN Aviator said:
You know what you are going to get right ?

Some people are going to say "X" is good and that "Y" is bad....

Next guy comes along will say "Y" is good.....and "X" is bad....

Just like the other threads

Lets see how it goes.

Adrian_888 said:
Ok, i have been looking around this forum researching knee and elbow pads and have come up with many post and links for lots of different suggestions and types.  The problem is that for every suggestion there seems to be an argument against it, and many of the post that sound knowledgeable turn out to be from a blank profile that suggest a 15 year old cadet wrote it.  So I have come to the infantry part of the forum to get a final suggestion from those who know best about this kind of thing.

So that you have something to contradict, my best idea so far that I have came up with, are knee pads from CP gear. And for elbow pads, some volley ball ones, because I don't need a whole lot for my elbows, plus, I want to hide them so i can wear them while doing weapon drills on the concrete.

If you know what you talking about, I would like to hear it.
Thanks,
-Adrian

Just like Aviator said.  The issued ones were garbage for myself.  The only time I wore them overseas is when my Section Commander pulled hissy fits about not being dressed properly. 

It's all personal preference man.  Just make sure they don't rub up against the joints causing to much friction and they are nice and snug.  Try everything out, once you find a good pair, spray paint them.

Mine are Atas, and they work great! They now come in CADPAT AR or TW variety too. Hope that helps!

MedTech said:
Mine are Atas, and they work great! They now come in CADPAT AR or TW variety too. Hope that helps!

Ok, you were right aviator, its just like every other post.  :(

I just approve of the idea that the troops are allowed to wear them. 

(For you younger fellas, some of our 'leaders' in the old days considered it equivalent to a chargable offence to wear knee pads to protect your knees... "not issued kit" and all that...)

GreyMatter said:
I just approve of the idea that the troops are allowed to wear them. 

(For you younger fellas, some of our 'leaders' in the old days considered it equivalent to a chargable offence to wear knee pads to protect your knees... "not issued kit" and all that...)

It's funny how times have changed. Now some Section Commanders will punish soldiers for not wearing them  ;D

Given the ground over there, a simple fall can rip open your knee, or worse, crack a kneecap.

It is just good prudence for them to prevent you from being injured.

I've got the CADPAT Altas for kneepads.  I've found them comfortable for the most part, but sometimes they do slip and you end up kneeling funny.  Still, they're preferable as opposed to having a thin layer of nylon-cotton between your knee and the sharp gravel.

For most stuff, I really only use one...section attacks I usually use two.  Regular range exs, I usually don't bother.

Never bothered with elbow pads.  Even proning on concrete, my elbows never really bothered me.  The only time I ever wished I had them was when I crawled across a gravel street and put my arm down wrong and gave myself road rash. :(

I ve been using the Hatch Knee pads.  There awsome for those rocky fields etc. The only draw back is they always move loosen and move to the side, or down.

Either way I used pads for section attack stuff, I found them kind of annoying.

Deves

TheHead said:
It's funny how times have changed. Now some Section Commanders will punish soldiers for not wearing them  ;D

Its like walking into some sort of parallel universe...

Knee and elbow pads are the worst things ever.  They are SOP down here in Georgia and ruin your day as soon as you put them on, but if you must wear them and are looking try looking for a pair of inserts that came with the ACU. I am not sure with Canadian uniforms but with American you can slip these pads in the legs and elbows.  Check out construction and bicycle stores for knee and elbow pads you might find something that fits a bit better.  Take care Can-am

most military knee pads are built the same IMHO.

i got myself a pair of husky gel dual cap knee pads from Home Depot. cost me about 22 buck before tax. They've got good padding and have a cup shape so they don't shift around much when ur kneeling. the top strap is elastic while the bottom is not so they let you move but dont move themselves.  they come with 2 caps, both hard plastic. one has a tread pattern, like a boot, while the other is smooth. they attach with lots of velcro. im gunna get a bit of protective fabric so i can use em as soft knee pads in OBUA.

ive tried lots of knee pads and these are the first ones im really happy with. they do take a bit of gettin used to because of the cup shape but when shit hits they fan u forget about them...but there still there when ya need em.

Can-american said:
ruin your day as soon as you put them on,

Ruining your day would be taking a knee on asphalt when it's 55 degrees outside or kneeling on broken glass. Kneepads are pretty much mandatory for patrolling in the urban environment.

Altas are the most durable kneepads I've used.

wish we'd had them when I was a grunt...it's a fact....you take serious punishment to the knees and elbows...even when stuffed in the back of whatever troop carrier the gov'ment gave you that year...

I actually took shrapnel to the knee on a live fire ex...don't think the knee pads would have helped...and if nothing else...they can save your pants when you're really sucking up for that promotion.

I second Big-Red, I own a pair of the Alta kneepads and love them. Usually I just wear the bottom strap buckled and the top one loose, better airflow and the it stays in place just as well as with both. Without them I find can't hold the kneeling position nearly as long. Makes staying alert much easier as you're not thinking of how the floor is grating into your knee. As well, from what I gather a lot of the urban stuff involves going over walls and in and out of windows, good oppurtunities to give one's knee a stinger.

I recall reading an account of a soldier who after his vechicle sustained an IED hit banged his knee on the inside of the LAV (I think?) so hard that he couldn't properly carry on the fight - just another thing to consider.

I use the Altas too.

I didn't wear them the first night of one field ex and we had a nice 6 or 7k hike up a gravel backroad...not the best feeling in the world.

Back