• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kit list suggestions?

Any suggestions on where I can get a nice super-light weight, ultra high-speed ruck to replace the issued CF ruck?

Are there any online stores that specialize in that stuff (other than CDN peacekeeper.com)? What are people currently using?

Civvie rucks are the best out there. Their technology is always 10 years ahead of us. Some people of my unit have bought civvy rucksack to replace the issued one, others have bough bought the green version of the British bergen.

LOL M.A.W - I think I found the opposite, in a way. We always used cam and concealment in 3 RCA. Webbing, rifle and helmet left at a certain spot on the gun platform. Bush caps OK depending on situation, or under the net. Medic - I spent a lot of years as TSM, so cam, concealment, local defense was a big part of my job. On the other hand, I probably had more ex‘s with the regs when I didn‘t necessarily wear cam - but only because sometimes our taskings weren‘t tactical. Especially when firing for the School, in support of certain courses, etc. I did quite a few courses, callouts, etc., with W Bty, and the School, over the years. All, in all, maybe you ran across some guys who came from a less stringent (slack) ;) Unit, or maybe they mis-spoke. I‘m sure, like anything, different Units stress different things, or are more proficient in some things, than others. I just wanted to agree with MAW, that it isn‘t the norm, even in the Reserves...
:warstory:

2. The clothe liner for the sleeping bag is cr@p. It tears and bunches up. Yes, it helps to keep the bag clean -- but you can/should wash it down after every Ex anyway. The bivy bag is brilliant. If you expect to get bumped, use the bivy and the ranger blanket instead of the sleeping bag (if possible).
-I don‘t find the liner crap. It works perfectly fine for me.
I air out, not wash sleeping bag. Apparently you are only suppose to dry clean the sleeping bag...

3. Get rid of the air matress and get a foam one -- at least for winter to put some space between the frozen ground and your body. I‘ve found that, after conducting patrol for nearly 24 hours, I can sleep on rocks and a tree stump.
-The issued air mattress works fine for me, even though mine doesn‘t inflate as much as it should. I‘ve never had problems in my winter ex of being cold.

I find the foam mats easier to use and less bulky than the CF blow-up jobbies. As for the liner, I‘ve found that it really does get in the way. Now, I‘m comparing my very (in fact, I would call it extremely) limited CF experience to my more extensive civvie camping experience. But, after a 24 hours of patrolling, I know that I don‘t want to be fumbling around to make sure the liner is all straight and sh!t.

Did you attach your liner to your sleeping bag?

There are hooks on your sleeping bag that you attach your liners to, so that the liner don‘t move around. (as much) :)

Yep, I attached the liner.

If the liner is to be used, I find it more effective to get into the liner first (which is not attached to the bags) and then into the sleeping bags, which are attached to each other.

However, if I can get away without the liner, I will.

I‘ve heard that the best way to solve the problem is to buy a after market fleece jobbie rather than the CF issued liner.

Any ideas on where to go to buy a good civvie or aftermarket high speed ruck? Stores? Online? Suggestions?

humint, I would sugggest you check out Mountain Equipment Co-op they‘ve got lots of great stuff, if you‘re don‘t mind making the trek in from Guelph the "bricks and mortar" store in on King St. W. Downtown.

If you‘re talking about the MEC store on King St. in Toronto, the neat thing about it‘s location is that there are several more similar stores in the immediate are (across the street, next door etc.) If you can‘t find what you need at one, then odds are it‘ll be at th next store.

I looked at some of the rucks online and I can‘t find anything in OD green. Sure, inkblot blue looks nice in the store, but I doubt it‘s very tactical.

And, the bags are great -- many are 6lbs or less.

But, does the shape matter? Even if I get a OD green bag, does it also have the have the military look?

I never got into lots of fancy kit items, but for those in potentially wet weather conditions, I would recommend Gore-Tex socks. A steep price tag (around $80), but what a difference for your feet. It‘s the one gucci item I take.

Goretex socks?

That big green weird sock thing? Isn‘t that issued?

No, these are actual gore-tex socks that go over your woolies in your boot. Ask at MEC at the boot/shoe section. They are a small but pricey item, but in wet weather they rule.

I don‘t mean the new socks.

I mean those green weird sock looking thing that goes over socks. I think officially they are called ‘bootliner‘ or something.

hmm. I didn‘t have those issued to me. I have my goretex from 10 years back. I guess I should chat to the QM.

Those goretex socks are awesome; they‘re the ones that are black and tight on the bottom, but big and floppy on the top with a velcro strap to synch it around your calves. I love those things as much as I love the wool scarves.

Ref sleeping bag liner:

The "new cool thing" is the commercial fleece sleeping bag liners. They have zippers and occasionaly cords on the bottom to attach inside sleeping bags. People fing them warmer and more versitile then the issued liner. They are good for in the bag, alone when on the cot in the Biv or bunk if travelling.

I have, on one fall ex with 3 RCR, went out with just a ranger blanket (with full length zipper) and a fleece liner and biv bag outer in lieu of my sleeping bag. I was cool, but not uncomfortable...
I wouldn‘t suggest anyone to try not bringing atleast one part of thier sleeping bag without considering the risks...

I just got the new TAV as well as cadpat windpants, parka, jacket, sweatpants and top etc..
Great stuff but one again they seemed to have tinkered with the sizes a little. The new jackets, parkas and fleece tops seem to be a lot bigger then the olive drag ons of the same size.

So, you have the fleece CADPAT bottoms? Does that mean you‘re pretty much all equiped with CADPAT?

Back