• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF-2/Airborne destined for land north of Trenton?

Bubbles: In the late 80s the whole point of having the RCMP's SERT (which JTF 2 replaced, much smaller then than now) close to Ottawa was to enable a very rapid response, by the best trained people possible, to a hostage-taking incident.  It would seem (and with some reason) that that sort of terrorist threat is no longer at the top of the list.  An RCMP ERT has nothing like the necessary specialized capabilities nor training.

Nevertheless...
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/arts/story.html?id=fc0e4be6-7eeb-4fb8-864a-4693c4da0bd6&k=12850

Mark
Ottawa

I always thought the JTF group was  secret unit and avoided press releases and the press in general. i guess i was worng, after my  Local MP missed her chance to have them sent to Petawawa which is also in her riding,  I see that  the paper reports  that  they are moving to Trenton. guess the bad guys do not need spies, jsut read the front page of the Ottawa papers. In the story  they  said the neighbours had trouble with  late night excercises and noise were kind of disturbing but after they made a deal to be warned in advance of lound noises things got better.
One lady  wanted to know who would come take their place.  the sotry  said another military  unit or the RCMP would take over the complex for training.

I am glad to see the farm team has a new home to look forward and Iwill be equally  shocked if they  get everything in place for the price tag of 220 million. i figure double that  and you might have it all in place.

http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1187772

Special forces unit moving to CFB Trenton
Project worth $500 million
Posted By ERNST KUGLIN, SUN MEDIA
Posted 1 day ago

The secretive special forces unit known as Joint Task Force 2 is moving to CFB Trenton.

Northumberland-Quinte West MP Rick Norlock's announcement Friday ends more than two year of speculation the unit would be moving to the country's largest air force base.

"It's been the worst kept secret,'' admitted Norlock at a hastily called press conference at Quinte West city hall.

A $300 million training centre will be constructed on property recently purchased by the federal government just north of the base.

Another $200 million is being spent on new infrastructure, including new hangars and related buildings to support new strategic airlift capabilities of the air force.

The move is expected to be completed over the next two to three years.

JFT 2 is currently based at Dwyer Hill near Ottawa. The unit is outgrowing its present location.

The announcement comes days before Prime Minister Stephen Harper is expected to call a federal election for Oct. 14.

During the 2006 federal election campaign, Harper promised an airborne unit would be located at the base.

"I've been pressing the defence minister to make the announcement,' said Norlock. "It was part of our campaign platform in 2006 and it's only appropriate we live up to that commitment now. We had to clear the air and get rid of the question marks surrounding the rumours.''

The federal government is in the process of acquiring another 220 acres of land, but Norlock said the 200- plus acres already purchased is enough to house the unit that specializes in counterterrorism operations.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

"It (the unit) needs room to expand,'' he said.

Norlock said locating the unit at CFB Trenton was the best choice, one that made financial sense.

"CFB Trenton is a natural location with its rapid airlift capabilities and its centralized location between Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa,'' he said.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay, who was not at the press conference, issued a statement.

"In line with the Canada First Defence Department, this $500 million investment will not only provide new infrastructure in support of new airlift capabilities, but also expand the base in preparation for the arrival of JTF 2,'' he stated.

In January the federal government released an expression of interest that was posted for a multi-functional training and administrative campus worth an estimated $220 million on the government procurement website known as MERX. It did not specify CFB Trenton, but stated eastern Ontario.

Norlock said tenders for construction contracts will likely be issued in the coming months.

Norlock said for security reasons he couldn't say how many additional personnel would be moving to CFB Trenton.

"The unit is growing. I can't discuss numbers,'' he said. "It's also important to realize the spin-off and support that is needed for a unit this size. It's safe to say though there will be hundreds of people moving into the area.''

Quinte West Mayor John Williams described the move as a "tremendous investment.''

"Even before this announcement the federal government was investing millions and millions of dollars at the base. This is great news for the city and great news for the entire Quinte region,'' said Williams.

"I don't think we've ever seen this type of federal investment in our area. We're very fortunate to have that investment and the resulting economic spinoffs."

Article ID# 1187772

"It's been the worst kept secret,'' admitted Norlock at a hastily called press conference at Quinte West city hall.

Really? I haven't heard anything about this ;D

They should have expanded 427 Tac Hel Sqn capabilities and infrastructures in Petawawa, to build a runway able to land a C130 or comparable aircraft which could be used by both 2 Bde, and CANSOF for quick deployment.

Also, what are the training facilities like in Trenton, outside of whatever they build on the 200 acre plot of land?

Run away gun said:
They should have expanded 427 Tac Hel Sqn capabilities and infrastructures in Petawawa, to build a runway able to land a C130 or comparable aircraft which could be used by both 2 Bde, and CANSOF for quick deployment.

Also, what are the training facilities like in Trenton, outside of whatever they build on the 200 acre plot of land?

427 THS no longer exists.  It's been known as 427 SOAS for awhile now.

Run away gun said:

I don't know, but Hercs have been landing in Petawawa for quite some time now.  If you go down to 427, you will also notice that there is the capability for them to land on the Matawa Plain, although it is only a grass field.  There are also emergency grass fields throughout the Training areas, as well as the Training areas in Wainwright, Gagetown, Suffield, Shilo, etc.

If you had done some further reading, you would have read that they are not moving there tomorrow, but in seven years time, WHEN facilities will have been built.

George Wallace said:
I don't know, but Hercs have been landing in Petawawa for quite some time now.  If you go down to 427, you will also notice that there is the capability for them to land on the Matawa Plain, although it is only a grass field.  There are also emergency grass fields throughout the Training areas, as well as the Training areas in Wainwright, Gagetown, Suffield, Shilo, etc.

If you had done some further reading, you would have read that they are not moving there tomorrow, but in seven years time, WHEN facilities will have been built.

Most (if not all ) of the ones in Gagetown are listed as condition unknown.

NFLD Sapper said:
Most (if not all ) of the ones in Gagetown are listed as condition unknown.

Many are, but I am sure that several have been reconditioned.  There were once Range Control Regulations that forebade the driving on or across any of these fields.

Yes they do but generally only when a para unit is jumping...

I think perhaps moving JTF2 to Petewawa would have put too many CANSOF eggs in one basket...with 427 SOAS and CSOR here it's pretty crowded plus now there is JTF2 and another CANSOF unit in Trenton we have a 2/2 mix seems almost symmetric.

The reason the airfields are in "conditions unknown" are because they are no regularly maintained and to discourage anyone landing there out of the blue.  Not just talking military aircraft for this.

As for the Pembrke airport, they have no military facilities.  For a CF aircraft to use it as a staging point they have to notify the base so that the base firehall is aware.  The airfield also likes getting a heads up as they might find themselves limited on fuel and have to plan appropriately or get a bowser out from the base.

As for the thought of moving the unit to Pet, the base (read: training area) is pretty crowded as it is.

George Wallace said:
What's in a name?  It is in Petawawa, with a DND facility.

No I actually mean Pembroke Airport:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembroke_Airport

thanks BulletMagnet we flew out of there years ago to go to Cape Dorset NWT

George Wallace said:
Many are, but I am sure that several have been reconditioned.  There were once Range Control Regulations that forebade the driving on or across any of these fields.

Not sure, on the latest edition of the Gagetown RTA Map it lists them as unknown. Wonder if that's why there are always a number of TLARS at Air Strip 1

George Wallace said:
There were once Range Control Regulations that forebade the driving on or across any of these fields.

If this wasn't so sad I'd be laughing right now.  Yes, there still is, but it doesn't stop the numpties from doing it.  And it usually seems to happen after a hard rain when the soil is soft.

Ex-Dragoon said:
No I actually mean Pembroke Airport:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembroke_Airport

;D

That's what I meant by "what's in a name".  The Pembroke Airport is located in Petawawa.

And yes there is a small DND facility in the NE Corner where Mil Flights for deployments and Jumpers can enplane.  It is too easy to miss, and the Sign may be overgrown, but it is there.

George Wallace said:

Well what I was eluding to is building an airstrip down at 427, a permenant tarmac, so that deploying units did not have to drive the 1+ hour to Ottawa airport. Seeing as how pers are always leaving from Petawawa for training exercises all over the country and deployments all over the world it would make sense.

And as for facilities I was not speaking of those they are building, I was asking what is there already. Does Trenton have any weapons ranges or maneouver areas to support CANSOF or is it all being built on this 200 acre plot of land?

1)  There is a DND facility at Pembroke Airport, as someone already mentioned, the Embarkation/Disembarkation centre at the South end of the field.

2)  There is already an airstrip at 427.  Its published in the FLIPS and has been there for many years.

3)  There is already expansion in the 427 area for another unit.

4)  Looks like Sandbanks is going to be busier in the summer!!

Run away gun

Most who are going to deploy over long distances, especially internationally, will embark from Ottawa or Trenton.  There are several reasons.  One of the major reasons is refueling of the Aircraft, and deicing in winter.  Then there is the matter of Canada Customs/CBSA, Baggage handling, Aircraft servicing, Flight plans, large hangars, and numerous other reasons, major and minor.

Just a point.  There is already a permanant concrete tarmac at 427.  They don't have a paved runway.

Back