• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joint Task Force 2 (JTF 2) - Canadian Special Forces

X_para76 said:
Sorry I was trying to suggest that one would go to CSOR from the Pres and do their operators course after having passed selection. To then get posted there as an operator and then put in at least the 2 years of reg force time required to apply to DhTc as an assaulter.

As the previous post from the CSOR website, CSOR operators, now that is a trade, MUST serve 3 years before any transfer application is entertained.

And just saying, you have on the lower end of  a 1/3rd chance of even getting past selection, in either unit, just to get onto the courses.

George Wallace said:
::)

Yes JayB, there is NO Santa Clause SUBSTANTIAL advantages to being a former CSOR Operator trying for JTF2.
Then why was Rider Pride implying I was wrong when supporting that argument?

FWIW, SAS Reserve units recruit direct from = civvy street and seem to do quite well.

http://www.army.mod.uk/specialforces/30603.aspx

I know, I know... there's untold value in having spent years in the back of a LAV, pulling weekend guard duty, and doing lots of 100th anniversary drill in a regular unit before trying for SF selection  ;D

.... but I have no idea why we couldn't try the same.

daftandbarmy said:
I know, I know... there's untold value in having spent years in the back of a LAV, pulling weekend guard duty, and doing lots of 100th anniversary drill in a regular unit before trying for SF selection  ;D

.... but I have no idea why we couldn't try the same.

Why do we need reservists, or direct entry? What's the failure rate on selection for direct entry vice prior service members? I believe its been stated here before, that JTF2 doesn't need reservists to fill its assaulter ranks, only CSOR takes reservists with the stipulation that if you pass, you CT to the Regular Force.

PuckChaser said:
And yet there are plenty of people who pass DHTC's selection and course without having any CSOR experience at all.
PuckChaser said:
Why do we need reservists, or direct entry? What's the failure rate on selection for direct entry vice prior service members? I believe its been stated here before, that JTF2 doesn't need reservists to fill its assaulter ranks, only CSOR takes reservists with the stipulation that if you pass, you CT to the Regular Force.
Well since you mentioned it Jtf2 no longer accepts applications from reservists. However it sounds as if you don't see any value in reservists applying and so it's worth mentioning that probably half of the operators at CSOR are from the reserves so clearly there is some need for reservists at CANSOFCOM.

No.  No operators in CSOR are reservists.

There may be former reservists there, but they're all CT'd to the Reg F and OT'd to SF Operator as their occupation.

X_para76 said:
Well since you mentioned it Jtf2 no longer accepts applications from reservists. However it sounds as if you don't see any value in reservists applying and so it's worth mentioning that probably half of the operators at CSOR are from the reserves so clearly there is some need for reservists at CANSOFCOM.

If they're operators, they're now in the Regular Force, so your point is moot. They passed a selection for a CT/OT.  Supporters as reservists is just fine, but we don't have the money (or a reason) to maintain a PRes CSOR/JTF2 capability. We're cutting budgets everywhere, Regular army units cannot maintain 100% IBTS and yet some people want to make these new capabilities?

I've searched for an answer to this question without results, and have emailed the address listed on the JTF2 site, but have not received a reply. I'm hoping you folks can help out!

I understand the minimum time in service before you can apply to CSOR and JTF2 is two years. If accepted to CSOR, you must extend your contract so that you serve a minimum of three years. What is the equivalent "minimum service length" for JTF2?

Thanks for the help!

jhamilton said:
I've searched for an answer to this question without results, and have emailed the address listed on the JTF2 site, but have not received a reply. I'm hoping you folks can help out!

I understand the minimum time in service before you can apply to CSOR and JTF2 is two years. If accepted to CSOR, you must extend your contract so that you serve a minimum of three years. What is the equivalent "minimum service length" for JTF2?

Thanks for the help!

Review the JTF2 DWAN site.  The information is there.

If you don't have DWAN access (for example, you aren't in the military) then you really don't need to worry about it.

Simple question. I am not getting ahead of myself, I am just wondering in regards to CANSOF.

1) Can you apply directly to CSOR, JTF2? or must you be chosen?
2) Are there any pre requisites for admission aside from the obvious "must be in the military"?
3) Is admission allowed after a certain time or a certain rank?

Thankyou for any information given

I was thinking about joining Infantry for the CF after high school (I'm currently 16). I've always felt a strong desire to pursue something meaningful and I think this is the right choice. However my plans are to fulfill my mandatory 4 years of service then take time off to study Pre-Med. My marks are low 90's for the most part but that's another subject. I found an interest in the possibility of joining JTF-2 as well, I think it would be a challenging and fulfilling path to take. I understand many people frown upon guys looking to join JTF-2 and I can see why. I have a strong will to move forward and not give up and I know the odds of getting into the SF is very low and I'm fully prepared just to serve my mandatory 4 years as infantry and get rejected for the special forces. My question is, would it be possible to serve 4 years as infantry, go to pre-med while keeping a demanding workout schedule then apply for JTF-2? Would they accept a candidate who has took some time off from the force? I realize the chances are low, hence the reason I'll study pre-med as a backup plan. Anyways tell me what you think as I'm very interested to hear your opinions, good or bad.

the advice you are most likely to get here is  to focus on finishing high school . Of course you can have goals, but the realistic chances are much lower for SOF than for the conventional CF.

While I understand where your coming from I'm merely planning ahead for the future. It's better to do it now than get out of high school and have no idea what I'm going to do. Like I said before, I know the chances of getting accepted is very low but I'm curious if this would even work or I would be denied simply for having a 4 year break.

You could answer your own question with less than a minute on Google. 

Straight from the CANSOFCOM public website:
Civilians

Civilians cannot join CANSOFCOM directly.  The personnel in CANSOFCOM have a minimum of two years in the Canadian Armed Forces and have demonstrated that they have the special attributes and training desired to fill these demanding roles.  If you think that service in CANSOFCOM is your preferred career path, you are encouraged to contact your local Canadian Armed Forces Recruiting Centre for more information on careers in the military.

Canadian Armed Forces members

CANSOFCOM units recruit directly from the Canadian Armed Forces (Regular and Reserve Forces) for a variety of employment.  The CANSOFCOM method of selection is dependant on the unit and the position sought.

QuickNClean said:
Like I said before, I know the chances of getting accepted is very low but I'm curious if this would even work or I would be denied simply for having a 4 year break.
"Simply"makes you sound like you think that it is somehow unreasonable for JTF2 to not recruit you based on the fact that you would not be in the military at the time.

CANSOF recruits serving members.  Question answered.

I'm kicking myself trying to avoid saying something condescending about the possible connection between your initiative level and the fact that I found your answer in 30 seconds on the internet. 

I used the word "simply" more as a transition word and I struggle to understand what that has to do with the topic at hand. Thanks for answering my question though, and I know I could've just searched the question up on google, but I find forums such as these offer a more personal reply. Many guys on here have experience or know people who do. Like "a buddy of mine did this" or "this worked for me". It's all personal preference and I appreciate the replys, thanks.

If you release after four years to pursue your education, there's no guarantee that you'll be accepted back. You may be able to work something out with the military to remain enlisted while you're upgrading your education, but that would be contingent on a whole raft of variables, that we won't go into here.

And you have your answer about CANSOFCOM.

Get enlisted first then feel your way along. Your not going to graduate, turn 17 and be in uniform the next week. It's a long process. Just check out the Recruit Forum.

QuickNClean said:
However my plans are to fulfill my mandatory 4 years of service then take time off to study Pre-Med. My marks are low 90's for the most part but that's another subject. I found an interest in the possibility of joining JTF-2 as well, I think it would be a challenging and fulfilling path to take?...

I'll study pre-med as a backup plan. Anyways tell me what you think as I'm very interested to hear your opinions, good or bad.

Better plan; join the reserves, go to university, get accepted to medical school, join the regular forces and have them pay for it. Once your done and served a couple years as a GDMO, apply to CANSOFCOM as a doctor and serve in one of the units.

Just outlining options.

I like jwtg's response - sums things up pretty well.  To expand on other points: having breaks in your service will not adversely impact your chances if for positive reasons; an ambitious 'PT' schedule is always attainable, and it's important to remember that SF units value maturity (and humility).  You know, in case that might help.

In other news, there's no such thing as 'pre-med' in Ontario.  Maybe at McGill or a number of other schools in Canada, but it's typically a term people use to give the impression that they are basically in med school.  You could be studying Ukrainian Egg Painting (undergrad) with the hopes of someday applying to Med School and describe your studies as pre-med even though you've little hope of being accepted.

You've casually identified 2 goals that - independantly - require a significant amount of preparation and dedication.  Although I wish you best of luck, you may wish to focus your efforts; insert here some expression about an eagle chasing two rabbits that catches none..

Hey folks...brand new here.  First off...Im not in the CF but was brought here looking for the CSOR or JTF fitness program.  To be clear, not that I am planning on applying ever but just wanted a challenge this summer. I did some training with a guy years back who got into JTF I believe shortly after I met him....he was an impressive individual to say the least ...that got me thinking of the JTF pre-selection program and it seems like a good one to challenge myself even though I am getting a bit older.

But, it brings me to a question or two about CSOR/JTF.  I know that they two are very different units with much different needs, mandates and personnel, and esp with JTF not much is public, and thats fine.  I read that the average age of JTF is late 20's early 30's.  But three questions I guess just out of curiosity....and I dont think the answers would be of a sensitive variety or I wouldnt bother asking.

1.  what is roughly the average age of ENTRY into the unit?
2.  What is the oldest or "most experienced in life" you could say lol,  that someone has gotten into the unit?
3.  Due to the unique aspects and physical demands of the jobs...Roughly how many years does someone serve on the unit?

Thanks for your time...and thanks for your service.

Back