• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining through ROTP and my criminal background check from the USA

Bradford_Maxwell

Inactive
Reaction score
I went to high school in the United States to put this in better context. I applied while in grade 12, graduated June 2015.
I tried to apply last year, I was absolutely ready for everything and had everything ready... everything except my background check. It took four months to come in from the FBI. By then it was already too late even though I applied September 1st. This year I have all my documents ready as well as my mind and body ready. I'm currently enrolled at the University of Victoria and intend to finish my Bachelor of Commerce, a degree not offered at RMC, in Victoria rather than RMC.

I sent my application out already, forgetting it opens September 1st and am now waiting for the application for 2016-2017 to open so I can be the first in the door.

I just have a two questions which I failed to ask when I was at the recruiter's office yesterday.

My background check, which was the most painful part, is fresh from the FBI as of March 11th, 2015. Since then I was only living in the US for two months as a student before moving back to Canada in June. For how long will that background check be valid? If I need to do another background check it would take three months not including time for sending documents.

I am no longer particularly interested in joining to go to RMC, I would prefer a civilian University instead. How likely is it that I receive an offer for a civilian university?

Thanks for answers in advance.

Why do you want to join through ROTP? You said you intend to complete your degree prior to joining. With your degree you can apply for an officer position through the Direct Entry Officer route.

What trade are you interested in?

He wants to join after his first year and have the CAF pay for his degree. Your chances of getting U Vic are up to the recruiting system. You really need to talk to a recruiter and get their take on your personal situation. They are always able to provide the best guidance on how to proceed.

PuckChaser said:
He wants to join after his first year and have the CAF pay for his degree. Your chances of getting U Vic are up to the recruiting system. You really need to talk to a recruiter and get their take on your personal situation. They are always able to provide the best guidance on how to proceed.

Roger, my mistake.

PuckChaser said:

Alright, I will be arriving there on September 6th and I should be able to go to the recruiters and ask them about my situation. I am already having my grade conversion updated so I will be 100% ready by the time my classes start at UVic. And PuckChaser is correct, I do plan on having them pay for my degree - but if the chance is given for me to go to RMC I would certainly take any offer they give me for ROTP, so long as it is for the trade I want, which is Infantry Officer.

Bradford_Maxwell said:
Alright, I will be arriving there on September 6th and I should be able to go to the recruiters and ask them about my situation. I am already having my grade conversion updated so I will be 100% ready by the time my classes start at UVic. And PuckChaser is correct, I do plan on having them pay for my degree - but if the chance is given for me to go to RMC I would certainly take any offer they give me for ROTP, so long as it is for the trade I want, which is Infantry Officer.

If you plan on applying for ROTP this year, I'd suggest you request your FBI Background checks NOW!

Back