• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining The Infantry

Is our infantry a bunch of “grunts”

• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, we have an intelligent infantry

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some are intelligent, most are not

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Most are intelligent, some are not

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ConsideringCareers… said:
Hello all, good morning,

I have been interested in the CAF for some time now (I am 15 years old), I want to be an NCM because I want to be out in the field doing the cool army stuff and not riding a desk. I am interested in the infantry because they are the boots on the ground and the ones that really fight the wars. When I told my mother that I was thinking of joining the military she encouraged me to do so if I wanted (which surprised me greatly) but one of her comments was that she did not want me to “just be a grunt” because it won’t give me useful skills for later in life.
    I was wondering if our modern infantry was mostly grunts who don’t have half a brain? Or if our infantry was a fairly intelligent lot?
    Thank you in advance

EDIT: OFF TOPIC: How often are our infantry deployed on humanitarian aid missions? E.G. Haiti the other decade, or even Irma (and all of the current hurricanes)

Follow your joy.

mariomike said:
See Reply #20.

Why not stay in for the whole ride?

Well I would hope to do 25+ but if something would happen or if my body could no longer handle it. I know there are other trades to remuster to, and I know that is what a lot of the Infanteers do when they feel like they can’t do it anymore.

(To Loachman: Thanks for the great reply! As to the comment along the lines of “finish high school at the very least - with the best marks”: I am definitely going to finish high school, I get good grades (mid 90s), but I don’t know if I should do University before joining or not. I have found all the threads about that, but mostly it is personal preference for each different individual.)

(To Tango2Bravo: I know, I should do what I want to do, but I want to make sure that I have a plan and that I am not doing something that I will get injured and then not have anything to fall back on.)

I am just trying to be realistic for the long term.

Well I would hope to do 25+

35 years in the Regular Force will max out your pension at 70%.
That is considered the benchmark for adequate financial provisions in retirement for Canadian workers.

Prospective member—Canadian Armed Forces pensions
https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/fac-caf/ptntl-prspctv/mp-pm-eng.html

Well I would hope to do 25+ but if something would happen or if my body could no longer handle it. I know there are other trades to remuster to, and I know that is what a lot of the Infanteers do when they feel like they can’t do it anymore.

(To Loachman: Thanks for the great reply! As to the comment along the lines of “finish high school at the very least - with the best marks”: I am definitely going to finish high school, I get good grades (mid 90s), but I don’t know if I should do University before joining or not. I have found all the threads about that, but mostly it is personal preference for each different individual.)

(To Tango2Bravo: I know, I should do what I want to do, but I want to make sure that I have a plan and that I am not doing something that I will get injured and then not have anything to fall back on.)

I am just trying to be realistic for the long term.

Within reason I try to follow this advice:

"Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing."

Euripides

mariomike said:
35 years in the Regular Force will max out your pension at 70%.
That is considered the benchmark for adequate financial provisions in retirement for Canadian workers.

Prospective member—Canadian Armed Forces pensions
https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/fac-caf/ptntl-prspctv/mp-pm-eng.html

Some quick mental math, which I should be doing in school right now :(. If I join at 18, do 35 years, I will be 53, fairly close to a normal retirement age, let’s say I had made it to the top of Warrant officer (is that actually realistic) I would be making 79 920 a year, not including benefits or taxes, so my pension (70%) would be giving me 55 944 a year after that. Stupid question, is pension taxed? I presume it is, but I have no clue (again I am 15 and trying to figure out stuff about life).

Thanks for the replies, please tell me if these numbers (and rank) are realistic or not.

Some quick mental math, which I should be doing in school right now :(. If I join at 18, do 35 years, I will be 53, fairly close to a normal retirement age, let’s say I had made it to the top of Warrant officer (is that actually realistic) I would be making 79 920 a year, not including benefits or taxes, so my pension (70%) would be giving me 55 944 a year after that. Stupid question, is pension taxed? I presume it is, but I have no clue (again I am 15 and trying to figure out stuff about life).

Thanks for the replies, please tell me if these numbers (and rank) are realistic or not.

Did you (T2B) write a message or just quote mine? Sorry, I don’t know what it means when a message is just quoted and no knew message is written, this is my first forum and only my second day of posting.

You may find these discussions of interest,

Pension (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/106617.0
4 pages.

Pension Questions 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/123838.0

pension 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/124724.0

etc...

Yes, your pension will be taxable income.

I did indeed write a response, which then seems to have gone into the ether! I will try again.

Attaining the rank of Warrant Officer (WO) in the infantry is indeed possible, but its definitely not a certainty. It means three merit-listed promotions where you are compared with your peers on a wide range of criteria. Attaining the rank of WO is an achievement. If you are looking at your retirement income as a factor in joining, perhaps look at the baseline of Corporal (Cpl) and see if you'd be happy.

Regarding the pension, you are taxed. You also stop making pension contributions, so that improves the difference in your take home pay at retirement. While its great to be planning for retirement, you should also consider the short term. Have a look at the pay rates for the first four years and make sure that your lifestyle/responsibilities will be commensurate. We have good pay and benefits, but its good to make an honest assessment (which you seem to be doing).

Cheers (hope this one works),

T2B

If I join at 18, do 35 years, I will be 53, fairly close to a normal retirement age,

You don't have to serve the full 35 years. That is only if you wish "max-out" your pension. ( 70% )

After 25 years in the Regular Force, you will be eligible to retire with an unreduced pension of 50%.
https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/fac-caf/act/rnsrgm/aprdap-petmy-eng.html?wbdisable=true

Immediate annuity (unreduced pension)

An immediate annuity (IA) is a monthly pension payable immediately upon release or when your participation in either of the CAF Pension Plans ends, if you:
•have 25 years (9,131 days) of Canadian Forces service
•are age 60 with at least two years of pensionable service
•are age 55 with 30 years of pensionable service
•are involuntarily released due to a reduction in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and either: ◦have 20 years of pensionable service or
◦are age 55 or older with 10 years of pensionable service

Loachman said:
Yes, your pension will be taxable income.

Okay, that is what I thought, thanks for the reply!

(To T2B: okay, that is funny! Thank you for the further information: I had obviously confused myself from something and thought merit promotions started at Sergeant (which I thought meant two merit promotions), thank you for the correction!)

(To MarioMikeL I did know that the pension was “unreduced” after 25, that is why I stated that as my bottom goal for service, but at 43, you would still need to do a job for about ≤20 years, but thank you for those numbers, they are now in a helpful screenshot!)

Thank you all again so much!

(To MarioMikeL I did know that the pension was “unreduced” after 25, that is why I stated that as my bottom goal for service, but at 43, you would still need to do a job for about ≤20 years, but thank you for those numbers, they are now in a helpful screenshot! )

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Loachman said:
'Twas not I who posted that, but daftandbarmy, with whom I was on course in Gagnam in 1979. I was merely responding.

Oh great, now they can all guess our age.  ::)

Does this 64 Patt webbing make me look old and fat?

Well, it was rather minimalist...

Maybe you should stick with the Tac Corset Vest, cinched nice and tight.

Loachman said:
Well, it was rather minimalist...

Maybe you should stick with the Tac Corset Vest, cinched nice and tight.

Wow, lol (Can I say this, or on this forum should I have said “that made me laugh”?)
                                                                                                                                :sarcasm:

Some explanation for those unfortunates lacking 64 Pattern webbing experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkoKdheBpDs

I don't miss my 64 pattern mess tin/canteen carrying non-sense...luckily, I had some 56 pattern pouches to actually carry my magazines in for my FN or SMG.

MM

Sorry if the answer to this can be found on another forum (if anybody could refer me to those forums) I am interested on joining the Canadian Armed Forces after High-School, I am looking to join the infantry and become an infantry soldier. I would like to know if there are any specific classes I should or need to take in high-school (I am im Quebec) to either have a better chance of being accepted more quickly into the infantry or just being accepted in general, I am interested in a full time job or joining the regular forces, thanks.

Back