• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jens Stoltenberg: West facing 'authoritarian' alliance

The authoritarian powers have coalesced. Are NATO and other global democracies ready to protect their shared values?
Good question. There are some in the west that seem content with that prospect and are more than happy to pander to political populism as long as it fits in there 4 year election cycle.

Good question. There are some in the west that seem content with that prospect and are more than happy to pander to political populism as long as it fits in there 4 year election cycle.

You want to fight a generational war you might want to get the population on your side.... Just sayin'.

Its hard to do when your adversaries' have been undermining and dividing your population from in the inside, for years (decades ?).

How often do we have to turn the other cheek?

How often do we have to turn the other cheek?
Last time Trump was in power, a lot of people who served in the Cold War seemed OK with leaving NATO members out to dry if USSR 2.0 made a move eastward. My bet is “let NATO roast in its own juices - what have they done for me lately?” is coming back as a narrative if (when?) Trump gets back into the White House.

Last time Trump was in power, a lot of people who served in the Cold War seemed OK with leaving NATO members out to dry if USSR 2.0 made a move eastward. My bet is “let NATO roast in its own juices - what have they done for me lately?” is coming back as a narrative if (when?) Trump gets back into the White House.
It's not really an alliance if everyone is not carrying his share of the weight. If that's so, the question is raised: how is that behaviour to be changed? There is essentially one important contribution - military power - and one essential benefit - military security. So it only makes sense to threaten the latter to obtain the former.

It's not really an alliance if everyone is not carrying his share of the weight. If that's so, the question is raised: how is that behaviour to be changed? There is essentially one important contribution - military power - and one essential benefit - military security. So it only makes sense to threaten the latter to obtain the former.
To true.

The entitlements crowd want everything for nothing.

What’s the famous quotes from Thin Red Line?

“The whole thing’s about property. ….
Seems to me the world’s preparing to blow itself to pieces just as soon as the arrangements can be made.”

I think it’s true we are very close to something very ugly, if it hasn’t already began.

But encouraging enemies to attack allies isn’t a good way to go about an alliance either.

Its funny how many of the major European NATO members had or were scaling their militaries down before Trump was in power. Then they asked the US to stop policing the world. Leave Europe alone. So he started to, not after he warned Europe they better beef up defence spending because Putin was interested in reuniting the Former Soviet Union.
Here we are a few years later and how we have forgotten. But now blame Trump for the disaster unfolding.

Its funny how many of the major European NATO members had or were scaling their militaries down before Trump was in power. Then they asked the US to stop policing the world. Leave Europe alone.

who said that specifically? Which country?
So he started to, not after he warned Europe they better beef up defence spending because Putin was interested in reuniting the Former Soviet Union.
No he didn’t.
Here we are a few years later and how we have forgotten. But now blame Trump for the disaster unfolding.
Who is blaming trump? They are however preparing for the worst if he becomes president. They know he will abandon his allies like he’s done before and like he is saying (unless you think he’s lying?)

But encouraging enemies to attack allies isn’t a good way to go about an alliance either.
Is it really an alliance if your the only one pulling your full weight?
I guess it is, at the same time someone needs to say it as it is. So many have tiptoe around the concerns.
On one hand have said we don't need or want your help. On the other hand expect help when something goes bad.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs all around

who said that specifically? Which country?
Germany, France, UK
No he didn’t.
No he didn't what?
Who is blaming trump? They are however preparing for the worst if he becomes president. They know he will abandon his allies like he’s done before and like he is saying (unless you think he’s lying?)
Lol, more like he will send 300,000 troops to Europe. Draw a Line in the dirt and tell Russia don't cross this line.

Germany, France, UK
Sources. When and at what time exactly? Which government? And was that in a NATO context?
No he didn't what?
Say anything about Putin being a threat. His whole Schtick has been praising him and claiming that as long as he was president Putin would never do anything.
Lol, more like he will send 300,000 troops to Europe. Draw a Line in the dirt and tell Russia don't cross this line.
You clearly aren’t reading this right. Point to me one time he said he would do that. More like he will tell Zelensky to make a deal or all aid will stop. Regional countries are ramping up for that eventuality knowing they may have to do this without the US.

The allies at risk aren't the ones bordering Russia.

Still waiting for someone to explain exactly how we can tell when Trump is making an ironclad promise that will be executed, and when he's just shooting off at the mouth. It's borderline idiocy to make policy and plans based on empty threats of a blowhard, but I guess anyone who wants to put that shoe on and announce that it fits is free to do so.

Back