• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jack Layton wants the CF to do multiple UN deployments

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
This from Daimnation!  July 28, 2006
http://www.damianpenny.com/
( about 1/3 down the front page)

A Cannonball Press report:

Ottawa (CBP): Federal NDP leader Jack Layton has called for the Canadian Forces to be dispatched to the Congo to join the United Nations peacekeeping force (MONUC) there. In a statement issued today Mr Layton said that "I have just read Ste Louise Arbour's profoundly moving and insightful article in the Globe and Mail. I have concluded that it is a categorical moral imperative that Canadian troops be deployed at once to the Congo so that MONUC can begin the implementation throughout that strife-torn and unhappy country of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms."
Mr Layton, who has earlier asked Ms Arbour to determine whether Prime Minister Harper should be investigated for war crimes, went on to say in his statement that he had written the prime minister to "demand that honest brokers be sent from Bay Street to restore Canada's tarnished international reputation by mediating immediate resolutions to the disputes between India and Pakistan, Azerbaijan and Armenia, Russia and Chechnya, and Serbia and Kosovo."

The NDP leader's statement added that "This is the least Canada can do to contribute leadership in a meaningful way to take the lead on the international scene. The world and the Toronto Star expect no less of us; more than just memories and rhetoric are essential."

Mr Layton has previously suggested that Canada should participate in peacekeeping forces in Lebanon, Darfur, and, most recently, Somalia. To make up a contingent for Somalia he has demanded that the prime minister "withdraw Canadian troops from our mad support of George Bush's so-called 'War on Terrorism' in Afghanistan."

When asked where the Canadian Forces would find the troops for Congo, Darfur and Lebanon missions, Mr Layton responded "What are mere numbers when dying, wounded, and socially-disadvantaged children are crying out for Canadians to save them and end child poverty now?"

National defence minister Gordon O'Connor reacted to Mr Layton's statement by saying that no formal request had been received from the United Nations for a Canadian military commitment to the Congo. Justice minister Vic Toews added that there had been no request for a constitutional commitment either.

When asked to comment Liberal defence critic Ujjal Dosanjh replied "What are the Canadian Forces?"

Bloc Québécois defence critic Claude Bachand said "Les Congolais parlent Français, n'est-ce pas? La mission va sans dire."

[edited to add last line I missed]

Jane Taber of the Globe and Mail had this comment on Mr Layton's flurry of initiatives: "Thermonuclear!"

GAP said:
"I have just read Ste Louise Arbour's profoundly moving and insightful article in the Globe and Mail. I have concluded that it is a categorical moral imperative that Canadian troops be deployed at once to the Congo so that MONUC can begin the implementation throughout that strife-torn and unhappy country of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms."

When asked to comment Liberal defence critic Ujjal Dosanjh replied "What are the Canadian Forces?"

So that's how our foreign policy is made. Through News paper articles.
Those are are pretty strong choice of words too for the NDP, "implement". Sounds pretty imperialistic to me.

As for Ujal... unbelivable just unbelievable.

GAP are you trying to pull my leg  ;)

mods you can move this to radio chatter if it is more appropriate.  :)

It sounded like believable Typical NDP BS right up to here:

Bloc Québécois defence critic Claude Bachand said "Les Congolais parlent Français, n'est-ce pas? La mission va sans dire."

Jane Taber of the Globe and Mail had this comment on Mr Layton's flurry of initiatives: "Thermonuclear!"

then i figured it was probably satire..... though I'm sure Jack really does think this way....

Well, this one is not a Hoax

Return to Mideast peacekeeper role: Duceppe
Updated Fri. Jul. 28 2006 10:26 PM ET Canadian Press
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060728/duceppe_mideast_060728/20060728?hub=Politics

MONTREAL -- Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe says Prime Minister Stephen Harper needs to return Canada to its traditional role of peacekeeper in the Middle East.

Duceppe criticized the Harper government Friday and accused it of doing a poor job since the Lebanese crisis erupted a few weeks ago.

The Bloc leader is particularly upset with Harper for defending Israel's airstrikes in Lebanon as a measured response after the kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers by Hezbollah.
More on link

Back