• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

It's Official - Valour Decorations have been announced

I went through BMQ with Jason Lamont, we hung out all the time, and I can vouch for him as being a top-notch soldier. He was always concerned about his fellow soldiers, and loved to joke around. I'm sure he still does, but we lost touch after I went to Meaford for Battle School and he went to Borden for his Medic training...

Congrats Jason!!

On another but related note, I am so glad that the Active duty men and women over in Afghanistan are being recognized for these acts. It makes me proud knowing that acts that are above and beyond are being rewarded. I bet this is a huge morale boost over there, knowing that us back home here appreciate the rough times and shitty food ;D that they have to put up with in the Kandahar area...

Keep on fighting the good fight. :salute:

Quite the difference from the days of the Medak pocket, where any non-PC events were hushed up by the government.

Congrats to all!  :salute:

Governor General announces the awarding of Military Valour Decorations, Meritorious Service Decorations and a Mention in Dispatches
Governor General of Canada's web page, 6 Feb 07
News Releass/Backgrounder

OTTAWA—Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, announced four Military Valour Decorations to members of the Canadian Forces who have displayed gallantry and devotion to duty in combat. She also announced two Meritorious Services Decorations (Military Division) and one Mention in Dispatches to individuals whose specific achievements have brought honour to the Canadian Forces and to Canada.

The recipients will be invited to receive their insignia at a presentation ceremony to be held at a later date.

RECIPIENTS:

Please note that the rank used in this document reflects the substantive rank held by the member at the time of the incident:

MILITARY VALOUR DECORATIONS

STAR OF MILITARY VALOUR

Name

Current posting and hometown

Major William Hilton Fletcher, S.M.V., C.D.

Edmonton and St. Albert, Alta.

MEDAL OF MILITARY VALOUR

Corporal John David Makela, M. M. V.

Ottawa, Ont.

Captain Derek Prohar, M. M. V.

Edmonton and St. Albert, Alta. and Avonlea, Sask.

Major Michael Charles Wright, M. M. V.,C.D.

Shilo, Man. and Oakville, Ont.

MERITORIOUS SERVICE DECORATIONS (military division)

MERITORIOUS SERVICE CROSS

Name

General James L. Jones, M.S.C.

McLean, U.S.A.

MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL

Colonel Richard Stephen Williams, M.S.M

Fort Richardson, U.S.A.

MENTION IN DISPATCHES

Sergeant Christopher Marc Schmidt, C.D.

Edmonton, Alta.

The citations for the recipients can be found on our web site at www.gg.ca .... 

-30-

CITATIONS

Edmonton and St. Albert, Alberta
Star of Military Valour

As Officer Commanding C Company, Task Force Afghanistan, from January to August 2006, Major Fletcher repeatedly demonstrated extraordinary bravery by exposing himself to intense fire while leading his forces, on foot, to assault heavily defended enemy positions. On two occasions, the soldiers at his side were struck by enemy fire. He immediately rendered first aid and then continued to head the subsequent assaults. On these occasions and in ensuing combat actions, his selfless courage, tactical acumen and effective command were pivotal to the success of his company in defeating a determined opponent.

Corporal John David Makela, M.M.V.
Ottawa, Ontario
Medal of Military Valour

On October 16, 2006, Corporal Makela prevented a fatal attack on his combat logistics patrol by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan. As the turret gunner providing overwatch for the convoy, he accurately identified the approaching suspicious vehicle as a suicide bomber car. Despite the likely potential of an explosion, he maintained his exposed position and applied fire, resulting in the premature detonation of the bomber car. The explosion engulfed Corporal Makela’s vehicle and seriously burned him. His valiant and courageous actions inevitably prevented the bomber from reaching his intended target and saved the lives of the other soldiers in the convoy.

Captain Derek Prohar, M.M.V.
Edmonton and St. Albert, Alberta; Avonlea, Saskatchewan
Medal of Military Valour

Assigned as liaison officer with the United States Special Forces in Afghanistan during the battle at Sperwan Ghar, from September 5 to 12, 2006, Captain Prohar operated as the rear machine gunner on the battalion commander’s vehicle. He was wounded by an improvised explosive device during an intense enemy ambush. Despite his injuries, he continued returning fire and assisted the commander with the control of the attack, which resulted in the successful seizing of key terrain. Captain Prohar’s courage and actions earned him the respect of the allied soldiers of the United States Special Forces.

Major Michael Charles Wright, M.M.V., C.D.
Shilo, Manitoba; Oakville, Ontario
Medal of Military Valour

On the night of August 19, 2006, Major Wright of Alpha Company, Task Force Afghanistan, demonstrated outstanding courage and exceptional leadership in combat. Directed to move to the Panjwayi District Centre to enhance security, his troops were rapidly engaged and encircled by a significantly larger enemy force. Under intense fire from small arms and rocket-propelled grenades coming from all directions, he refused reinforcements for safety reasons and led his embattled force to outmanoeuvre the enemy, inflicting serious enemy casualties. His courage and his leadership led to the defeat of a much larger enemy force without a single Canadian Forces casualty.

General James L. Jones, M.S.C.
McLean, United States of America
Meritorious Service Cross (Military Division)

Since 2003, General Jones of the United States Marine Corps has provided outstanding leadership to NATO at a critical time in the Alliance’s history. During his mandate as Supreme Allied Commander Europe, NATO’s operations in Afghanistan expanded to include the entire country, and thousands of Canadian military personnel served under his command. Although operating at the highest strategic level, General Jones has always had the interests of individual soldiers at heart. He has invariably been responsive to Canadian concerns and has provided strong support to Canadian commanders in theatre. His service to NATO and to our military personnel has brought great benefit to the Canadian Forces and to Canada.

Colonel Richard Stephen Williams, M.S.M.
Fort Richardson, United States of America
Meritorious Service Medal (Military Division)

From May to November 2006, Colonel Williams of the United States Army applied dogged determination, as well as outstanding leadership to ensure that Task Force Grizzly performed to exceptional standards. As deputy commander of the Multinational Brigade - Regional Command South, in Afghanistan, he coordinated combat enablers and implemented quick impact reconstruction projects in the battle space. His combined experience in the area of operations, his knowledge of resources and his well-established relations with high-ranking officials and key leaders of Afghanistan served to directly support the strategic goals of the Canadian mission in Afghanistan. A tireless advocate for the region, Colonel Williams has brought great credit to the United States, to the Canadian Forces and to Canada.

Edmonton, Alberta
Mention in Dispatches

On June 19, 2006, Sergeant Schmidt was assisting a Romanian military unit conducting a perimeter patrol in Kandahar, Afghanistan, when the lead vehicle struck an anti-tank mine and was disabled. In the commotion that ensued, a Romanian soldier tripped over an anti-personnel mine. Despite the resulting confusion and disorder, the threat of more mines and the existing language barriers, Sergeant Schmidt remained calm, provided clear direction and facilitated emergency response. His rapid and professional intervention contributed directly to the survival of the seriously injured soldiers and brought great credit to the Canadian Forces.

(...)

It's good to hear more Decorations will be awarded.
http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=4961

Governor General announces the awarding of Military Valour Decorations, Meritorious Service Decorations and a Mention in Dispatches
February 6, 2007

OTTAWA—Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, announced four Military Valour Decorations to members of the Canadian Forces who have displayed gallantry and devotion to duty in combat. She also announced two Meritorious Services Decorations (Military Division) and one Mention in Dispatches to individuals whose specific achievements have brought honour to the Canadian Forces and to Canada.

The recipients will be invited to receive their insignia at a presentation ceremony to be held at a later date.

RECIPIENTS:

Please note that the rank used in this document reflects the substantive rank held by the member at the time of the incident:

MILITARY VALOUR DECORATIONS

STAR OF MILITARY VALOUR

Name

MEDAL OF MILITARY VALOUR

Corporal John David Makela, M. M. V.
Ottawa, Ont.

Captain Derek Prohar, M. M. V.
Edmonton and St. Albert, Alta. and Avonlea, Sask.

Major Michael Charles Wright, M. M. V.,C.D.
Shilo, Man. and Oakville, Ont.

CITATIONS

Edmonton and St. Albert, Alberta
Star of Military Valour

As Officer Commanding C Company, Task Force Afghanistan, from January to August 2006, Major Fletcher repeatedly demonstrated extraordinary bravery by exposing himself to intense fire while leading his forces, on foot, to assault heavily defended enemy positions. On two occasions, the soldiers at his side were struck by enemy fire. He immediately rendered first aid and then continued to head the subsequent assaults. On these occasions and in ensuing combat actions, his selfless courage, tactical acumen and effective command were pivotal to the success of his company in defeating a determined opponent.

Corporal John David Makela, M.M.V.
Ottawa, Ontario
Medal of Military Valour

On October 16, 2006, Corporal Makela prevented a fatal attack on his combat logistics patrol by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan. As the turret gunner providing overwatch for the convoy, he accurately identified the approaching suspicious vehicle as a suicide bomber car. Despite the likely potential of an explosion, he maintained his exposed position and applied fire, resulting in the premature detonation of the bomber car. The explosion engulfed Corporal Makela’s vehicle and seriously burned him. His valiant and courageous actions inevitably prevented the bomber from reaching his intended target and saved the lives of the other soldiers in the convoy.

Captain Derek Prohar, M.M.V.
Edmonton and St. Albert, Alberta; Avonlea, Saskatchewan
Medal of Military Valour

Assigned as liaison officer with the United States Special Forces in Afghanistan during the battle at Sperwan Ghar, from September 5 to 12, 2006, Captain Prohar operated as the rear machine gunner on the battalion commander’s vehicle. He was wounded by an improvised explosive device during an intense enemy ambush. Despite his injuries, he continued returning fire and assisted the commander with the control of the attack, which resulted in the successful seizing of key terrain. Captain Prohar’s courage and actions earned him the respect of the allied soldiers of the United States Special Forces.

Major Michael Charles Wright, M.M.V., C.D.
Shilo, Manitoba; Oakville, Ontario
Medal of Military Valour

On the night of August 19, 2006, Major Wright of Alpha Company, Task Force Afghanistan, demonstrated outstanding courage and exceptional leadership in combat. Directed to move to the Panjwayi District Centre to enhance security, his troops were rapidly engaged and encircled by a significantly larger enemy force. Under intense fire from small arms and rocket-propelled grenades coming from all directions, he refused reinforcements for safety reasons and led his embattled force to outmanoeuvre the enemy, inflicting serious enemy casualties. His courage and his leadership led to the defeat of a much larger enemy force without a single Canadian Forces casualty.

Congratulations to all.........

There HAS to be more coming down the pipe for the boys in the Troops & platoons....

Watch & shoot!

Chimo!

geo said:
Congratulations to all.........

There HAS to be more coming down the pipe for the boys in the Troops & platoons....

Watch & shoot!

Chimo!

Don't forget the girls....

First Recipient of the SMV.

And Depending on the date of the citations one of the others will be the first recipient of the MMV

:salute:

Reccesoldier said:
First Recipient of the SMV.

And Depending on the date of the citations one of the others will be the first recipient of the MMV

:salute:

I believe the first SMV recipient is Sgt Power for actions on 03 Aug 06.  His citation was released in CANFORGEN 167/06 dated 09 Nov 06.  The first MMV recipient would be Sgt Denine, for actions on 17 May 06, also announced in CANFORGEN 167/06.

Haggis said:
I believe the first SMV recipient is Sgt Power for actions on 03 Aug 06.  His citation was released in CANFORGEN 167/06 dated 09 Nov 06.  The first MMV recipient would be Sgt Denine, for actions on 17 May 06, also announced in CANFORGEN 167/06.

Are you sure?  My goodness that is embarrassing, considering I took the info off DHH's site (http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awards/engraph/med1_e.asp?cat=3 ).  Will have to sort that out ASAP. Thanks for the heads up Haggis.

Haggis said:
I believe the first SMV recipient is Sgt Power for actions on 03 Aug 06.  His citation was released in CANFORGEN 167/06 dated 09 Nov 06.  The first MMV recipient would be Sgt Denine, for actions on 17 May 06, also announced in CANFORGEN 167/06.
Gotta correct you here but it was Sgt. Patrick Tower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Tower

Big Foot said:
Gotta correct you here but it was Sgt. Patrick Tower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Tower

???

You've got me.  It has already been posted that it was Sgt Patrick Tower, but to cite wikipedia as an authority over a CANFORGEN is right out to lunch.

George Wallace said:
???

You've got me.  It has already been posted that it was Sgt Patrick Tower, but to cite wikipedia as an authority over a CANFORGEN is right out to lunch.

Clearly there must be two Sgt Towers, both of whom earned the SMV.  Wikipedia can't be wrong!!  ::)

Reccesoldier said:
Are you sure?  My goodness that is embarrassing, considering I took the info off DHH's site (http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awards/engraph/med1_e.asp?cat=3 ).  Will have to sort that out ASAP. Thanks for the heads up Haggis.

The DHH site doesn't list recipients and is, quite obviously, in need of an update. 

MMV recipient MCpl Fitzgerald used to work for me.  He's an outstanding soldier.  Well done Fitz!

Reccesoldier said:
Click on the ribbon for certain medals and it does say, way down on the bottom of the page.  ;D

Let me rephrase that:  The DHH site doesn't list the names of recipients. That info is available on the GG's web site.

And now, the official presentation.....

Governor General to Present the First-Ever Military Valour Decorations at Inaugural Ceremony in Ottawa
Media Advisory, February 15, 2007

OTTAWA–Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, will present six Military Valour Decorations to members of the Canadian Forces who have displayed gallantry and devotion to duty in combat. The ceremony will be held in the Ballroom at the Fairmont Château Laurier on Monday, February 19, 2007 at 10:30 a.m. This will mark the first time that these decorations, which were created in 1993, will be presented.

During the same ceremony, the Governor General will also present 33 Meritorious Service Decorations (Military Division) to individuals whose specific achievements have brought honour to the Canadian Forces and to Canada.

Media interested in covering this event and in interviewing recipients are asked to contact the Rideau Hall Press Office before the day of the ceremony.

Note: A highlight reel of B-roll footage from the ceremony will be available for media use late afternoon the day of the ceremony at the following address http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/common/combatcamera/news/ggawards/

(....)

Edmonton, Alberta
Mention in Dispatches

On June 19, 2006, Sergeant Schmidt was assisting a Romanian military unit conducting a perimeter patrol in Kandahar, Afghanistan, when the lead vehicle struck an anti-tank mine and was disabled. In the commotion that ensued, a Romanian soldier tripped over an anti-personnel mine. Despite the resulting confusion and disorder, the threat of more mines and the existing language barriers, Sergeant Schmidt remained calm, provided clear direction and facilitated emergency response. His rapid and professional intervention contributed directly to the survival of the seriously injured soldiers and brought great credit to the Canadian Forces.

One of my QL 2/3 instructors in the early 90's was a Master Corporal Schmidt of the Calgary Highlanders.  Is this the same soldier?

I found this picture the other day, and it ended up on wikipedia under MCpl.Fitzgerald's article. It is a picture of the G-Wagon which he      "repeatedly exposed himself to enemy fire by entering and re-entering a burning platoon vehicle and successfully driving it off the roadway, permitting the remaining vehicles trapped in the enemy zone to break free."

Burned-out-g-wagon.jpg

I thought that some of you would like to see this picture, and see why the MCpl was awarded the MMV.

Edit: Working to get the picture working  :-\ 
Oober edit: I got the picture working ::)

Congrats to all the people mentioned in milnewstbay's post and all other posts. I hope I will be as lucky to have somone of such caliber beside me on my upcomming tour, and also hope that my troop and I will keep our heads as cool and clear as them when an unfortunate event may happen upon us. Congrats again to all and good luck to all in upcoming tours. Keep your eye's and ear's open.  :salute:

Chimo!

Back