• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Islamic Terrorism in the West ( Mega thread)

Big news in terrorism prosecutions today: Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and two accomplices have reportedly reached a deal with U.S. authorities to plead guilty for plotting 9/11.

House them in a range with Americans who are criminals but still love America.

I'm joking.....aren't I?

Big news in terrorism prosecutions today: Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and two accomplices have reportedly reached a deal with U.S. authorities to plead guilty for plotting 9/11.

That is a big development - one which I think will reopen older, somewhat scabbed-over wounds big time.

NYT says this ....
1722521164693.png
Commission documents page shows some documents submitted Tuesday (30 Jul 2024) ...
... but they're all under security review before releasing.

Another twist: Secdef Lloyd Austin has revoked the plea deal and reserved for himself the authority to enter into such an agreement.

IMO this smells political. It would be bad right before the election for Biden’s government to be seen to be entering into a plea deal that spares Mohammed from execution, notwithstanding the absolute mockery the military commissions make of the rule of law. Odds of this succesfully being prosecuted to the extent of a death penalty being held up are slim… The military commissions are a flagrantly abusive legal process, notwithstanding that he’s likely guilty as sin. This always should have been a clean civil criminal prosecution with everything on the up and up.

Anyway- a surprise twist late on a Friday.

... Odds of this succesfully being prosecuted to the extent of a death penalty being held up are slim…
Still, the families seem pleased at SecDef's move (not surprisingly.

Still, the families seem pleased at SecDef's move (not surprisingly.
Yup, pretty sure the administration of wanting to give the Trump campaign this freebie, knowing that few people would give it any scrutiny and understand why things were going the way they were.

Back