• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is our military Conservative or Liberal ?

Most definitely the CF as a whole can not be considered a homogeneous voting block, such an idea is highly naive. As a_majoor mentioned I remember many very vigorous debates over politics with strong liberal and NDP supporters in uniform. It is interesting how the very values of the conservative ideology are too a significant degree voluntarily rescinded by those who join the military. I can only offer my opinion that due to their commitment and belief in the values that they are somewhat attracted to the notion of defending these said values.

Being a maritimer my family has always been openly PC (Progressive Conservative). Unfortunately the new Conservative party is also made up of previous Reformers and Alliance politicians which make it a little too far religious right for my liking at times. The Liberal party has become an elitist haven filled with wealthy businessmen who care only about the rich and the NDP have a crappy leader that changes positions more often than a honeymoon couple reading the Kama Sutra.
  So what do I as a military member do come election time since I don't get a warm and fuzzy from the political parties? I do what every other Canadian does, I listen to what the candidates say, read carefully their plans for Canada and vote for the party that I think would best suit my interests and that of our country.  So far the Conservatives are doing alright to me but that does not necessarily lock my vote in on the next election.
    My opinion is the military is no different than anyone else in Canada when it comes to voting in an election.

Bigmac said:
   So what do I as a military member do come election time since I don't get a warm and fuzzy from the political parties? I do what every other Canadian does, I listen to what the candidates say, read carefully their plans for Canada and vote for the party that I think would best suit my interests and that of our country. 
:rofl:

You're kidding, right?  Most Canadians do NOT vote that way.  Hell, most Canadians think that we are in Iraq and the George Bush (Jr.) is pushing for an american empire in the middle east and that "Steve" Harper is his puppet!

I think that most of the voting of the CF can be split along the geographical lines of their residence.

Here in the west, I find it hard to believe that any members of my unit voted Lieberal, but after working with several units from the east, I believe that they would be conservative. There is also another unit I've seen that has been known to fly their provincial flag on vehicles, I'm not sure if this means that they vote BQ though.

Even here in Edmonton though - it's hard to say positions on various issues are split between the important two parties, it's bright blue from what I can see!
Abortion? Yes
Gun Control? No
Separtism? Traitorous
Welfare? Get a job

Western alienation is a big deal here, Albertans see the preferential treatment that Quebec gets and resent it, and I see that attitude in my unit too.

I agree that the forces vote geographicaly so do civies.  GO says nobody votes Liberal in the west  while in N.S. the Conservatives ran a poor third in the last election . But in the next????  Who can say thats why they have elections.

Toodles

Back in the 80's the rank and file voted across the board and the Officers generally seem to vote to the right. However I suspect that the Liberals, NDP and Greens have burnt out and destroyed any possible support they would have in the forces.

I'd never vote Liberal now...they're so ignorant of the reality outside of Canada and they're making no effort to learn. They'll continue to make a laughing-stock out of this country with stupid comments such as Dion's.

Up here, things have become polarized and the choices quite limited. If you want a strong military (strong for Canada that is) and you are a lawful firearm owner such as myself, you are left with only one choice, which is CPC. The Greens, NDP and Liberals all have polices that are against firearm ownership and having a properly equipped military that can respond to the will of the people through the edicts of the government.

While each party has some decent candidates they are bound by strict party discipline to the overriding goals of the party. I believe a US Congressman is much more free to vote their conscious or for the benefit of their constituents than their Parliamentary counterparts. 

Apersons political belief is a very personal and highly contoversial subject at times.  My own belief is how is a social moderate( I will not say liberal) fiscal conservative. I have always voted Tory for the simple fact that they seem to do what they say, plus I own personal firearms. If Paul Martin woulld have stuck to his guns I could have almost voted for him but then of course there is the rest of the baggage attached to him, pay freeze's budget cuts and all the rest. Let us face reality the Liberal's will LIE and do whatever it takes to keep power, so that show's NO honor so I automatically will not vote for that.

I have seen reports though that generalise all Tories as religous zealots and western wingnuts. Well I am a westerner and neither.

As a member of the military it does behoove me though how member's of the forces could vote for any party of the left. Here is my two cents on them, and it is only my personal opinion.

Liberals look at there record over the last 40 years, I do not think any more needs to be said.

NDP they in the last 15 years have become more of a special interest and peace activist group than anything. They have seem to forgotten that the 60's are over. Ed Broadbent's NDP is not the same as Jack Layton's. The NDP has always been anti military, but I do think Ed Broadbent had a little more grip on what the world is really like. Also look at there defence policy you will see that we would have NO armour, NO ships or a single airplane that could drop a bomb, and you cannot forget that we would be commanded from New York. 

The Greens are a even more fuzzy friendly version of the NDP who would tax us even harder. Under these people we would be out of a job faster than the NDP.

The BLOC dont get me started, the country I was born in fought a war over separation. My only thoughts on this are if anyone in the CANADIAN military votes for these guy's turn in your ID card NOW!!!!

What I will say is from the BIO's of the leader's of the LIB's, NDP and the BLOC, is that all were at one point member's of the Communist party or experimented with it.

But that is my 2 cents, after all we are a democracy and everyone is entitled to there opinion, and WE are the protector's. 

Back