• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is China a threat? (from: Global NATO?)

NATO, like the UN, was conceived in the Cold War and designed for pretty specific tasks. Since the tasks no longer exist, perhaps it is time for NATO to evolve into something different, or be allowed to fade away. A "cafeteria" alliance isn't much of a place to be hanging your hat anyway.

Noted in this thread (The United States building a 21rst Century alliance system  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40510.0.html ) other groupings and alignments are possible, and a globe spanning Anglosphere alliance would be quite strong since it is based on common interests and values. We could also see alliance systems based on trade blocks (the EU evolved out of the European Common Market), or toxic alliances could also be formed (such as one based on Radical Islam, although it would be internally fractured by Shia, Sunni and Wahhabi factions).

Other factors which define alliances and power blocks involve the ability to project power and defend their territory, so a case might be made that a future alliance or grouping is defined by the area protected by ABMs, or some similar consideration. Things are still in a state of flux with the fall of the Soviet Empire and new players flexing their muscles, we might not see the new shape of the world until 2020.

So if China is not a threat now what sort of event or situation in the future could change that?
Suggestions?

I'd like to hear what Edward Campbell has to say about that question...all I can think of is a possible India/China border skirmish, but that seems unlikely these days, or an increase in insurgent activity in the eastern provinces that causes discord with neighbouring central Asian countries. 

Centurian1985 said:
I'd like to hear what Edward Campbell has to say about that question...all I can think of is a possible India/China border skirmish, but that seems unlikely these days, or an increase in insurgent activity in the eastern provinces that causes discord with neighbouring central Asian countries. 

See Echo9's comments on 25 Sep 06, here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/50947/post-450632.html#msg450632

While I may think that most of them are controllable two stand out:

1. China cannot sustain its current rate of growth.  The economy will slow and stall and, quite likely will go into recession.  While I think food production/distribution is at acceptable standards it might not take too much economic strain to provoke internal unrest, even revolution; and

2. Resources.  China is being touted, in the Western economic press, as the source of continued growth in resource markets for years, even decades to come.  True enough, I guess, but China needs huge, vast amounts of resources to sustain itself with any kind of growth.  As we can see from Euro-American history it is best to have resources nearby – that’s another lesson from Japan, by the way.  The ‘nearby’ resources are Russian.

Add to that: Muslim minority unrest, especially amongst the Uighurs in Xinjian Province – in the NorthWest – where most of China’s oil is found.  The Chinese are fond of their minorities, so long as they stick to identification through folk dancing, etc.  There is an Uighur separatist movement, supported, I think by radical Muslim groups from the Central Asian ‘Stans – which brings us back to ‘why’ the SCO.

Taiwan is a huge potential problem.  As I understand the Chinese position they don’t really care what Taiwan does so long as there is no change to the old KMT policy re: reunification of China.  As long as Taiwan remains committed to reunification then the mainland Chinese can preserve the internally important position that Taiwan will follow Macao and Hong Kong and rejoin China in due course.  See, e.g. http://voanews.com/english/2006-09-27-voa13.cfm which is very recent.

If a Taiwanese government renounces the goal of reunification then the Chinese may be compelled – by internal expectations – act, bringing them into direct, military conflict with the USA.

In ‘open’ areas in South China I saw, just this past summer, a lot of what appeared, to me, to be fairly new, modern but small assault ships.  There is nothing (visible to the public) like Norfolk where even a casual visitor can see America’s global naval power on display but I was told that China is building a regional joint amphibious group.  I’m guessing the Chinese want several corps worth of troops with the appropriately huge assault shipping bill (they would need, I guesstimate (being old and years and years out of the staff college) to get several (five?) divisions ashore at once) and air power sufficient to gain and maintain air superiority over the Straits of Taiwan and in a 500+/- mile radius around the landing grounds.  I don’t think the Chinese are anywhere near being able to attack and defeat Taiwan, yet.  I do think they are intent upon achieving that capability sometime within the next 10, 15 or 20 years.  To that end anything and everything they can do to weaken America in the West Pacific/China Sea station is in China’s best interests.

China could go pear-shaped – maybe on short notice.  In that case Barnett ( http://www.thomaspmbarnett.com/published/pentagonsnewmap.htm  etc) and I are wrong and  Carpenter (http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=1403968411 ) is right and America, and the West, might stumble into an avoidable war with China over Taiwan.  Please note that Carpenter does not think Chinese power is the problem.  Rather he sees that “ The PRC …  is firmly committed to reunification with Taiwan, and perforce unalterably opposed to any moves toward independence by Taipei.  Moreover … the PRC is increasingly unwilling to continue accepting the current status quo. Leaders in Beijing are well aware of the political consequences of the ongoing demographic shifts in Taiwan. They realize that there may only be a finite window for reunification to take place, and hence are increasingly impatient with Taiwan's diplomatic stalling when it comes to engaging Beijing in serious discussions on this issue.”

China still has considerable influence in Pakistan – it was, and remains, I believe, the primary source of Pakistan’s nuclear knowledge and weapons programme.  The aim is to keep India busy with Pakistan and, therefore, unable to bother China.  That being said, China recognizes that India is a major regional power which will have its own sphere of influence and which must be engaged with care and respect.

Many Chinese believe that Japan is on the edge of important social/demographic and economic shifts which will have unforeseen consequences and opportunities for China, at least those consequences are un-agreed by the people who spoke to me.  Shifts in Japanese regional politics and in its economic power will have global implications.

Many Chinese are very worried about Indonesia and its Muslim revolts and the spread of radical Islam into the Philippines.

I will not go on and on and on but suffice to say that my optimism might be misplaced and Echo9’s concerns are not to be dismissed.

Edward Campbell said:
1. China cannot sustain its current rate of growth.  The economy will slow and stall and, quite likely will go into recession.  While I think food production/distribution is at acceptable standards it might not take too much economic strain to provoke internal unrest, even revolution;

That one I would have to disagree with.  Ive read this prediction for almost fifteen years and their economy keeps growing.  The last economic forecast I read (last year) predicted that they would keep growing for another 5-10 years before levelling, but are unlikely to go into recession. 

Edward Campbell said:
2. Resources.  China is being touted, in the Western economic press, as the source of continued growth in resource markets for years, even decades to come.  True enough, I guess, but China needs huge, vast amounts of resources to sustain itself with any kind of growth.  As we can see from Euro-American history it is best to have resources nearby – that’s another lesson from Japan, by the way.  The ‘nearby’ resources are Russian.

This one I can agree with.  In the same report referred to above, analysts see China as running out of ready resources for manufacturing in the next 5-10 years. 

Edward Campbell said:
Taiwan is a huge potential problem.  As I understand the Chinese position they don’t really care what Taiwan does so long as there is no change to the old KMT policy re: reunification of China. 

Agreed again, as long as the US is there to backem up China will focus on national growth.  Not much likelihood of military action at this time. 

China's growth will slow- it's just a matter of time- it's a matter of statistics.  The problem with growth is that it's geometric.  the first year at 8% is easy, but when you do this over many years, pretty soon (actually, year 35), that 8% is the equivalent of doubling in year 1.  The problem is that when you get big enough, the number of opportunities for that growth just aren't there. 

The problem for the CCP is that they are relying on the current massive growth rate to keep a restive population in check.  Once that reduces to even 3-4% (considered very strong for a Western nation), that safety valve comes off.  Perhaps they can outsource their problems to other countries as Edward suggests, but my thinking is that those who will go overseas will be those who wouldn't be a problem in China in the first place.

My pessimism also comes from the male/female imbalance.  Even if this is now being rectified, there's a huge population that's coming of age now and through the next 10 years that is on the order of 110 males to every female (97 being parity, owing to the longer lifespan of women).  Historically, any society that has has an excess of young males has been either territorially aggressive or internally wracked by revolution.  China will be no different, the main question is which direction they go.  If revolution, then China as it currently exists will be split into 3-5 parts.  If territorial aggression, then it's likely to push in the direction of Siberia (resources) or Taiwan (ideology) or both.  They are not likely to push south, since most of SE Asia within reach is already a client state, and India is likely to be seen as too difficult for what it would be worth.

The PRC is a potential threat to allies of the US, which indirectly at least would be a threat to US national interests. China's quest for oil/natural gas is the driving force of its foreign policy. To support this national interest the PRC is expanding its Navy and is/has acquired port facilities in many different places, like Panama. PRC troops are in Venezeula to shore up Chavez' regime. They have staked their claim to the Spratley's. The PRC has moved into central asia where there are sizeable energy resources. The same with Africa. The Chinese have begun one of the world's largest coal liquification projects in the world,link below.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2006-08/03/content_656388.htm

China is intent on becoming an economic superpower. To do that they need energy to fuel their economy. Fossil fuels at present are also the weakness of the west. Perhaps one of China's aims is to control as much of the worlds fossil fuel resources as possible. India as a growing economy also will require fossil fuels. If China has cornered the market so to speak it will have leverage over quite a few countries.

This advantage will decline as more countries move into alternative fuels. India and many other countries can follow Brazil's lead with biofuels. Until they do so they will remain vulnerable.

Before as a communist command economy China wasnt integrated into the world economy. Now they are. A recession in the US or Europe hurts everyone. They can strengthen their economy by making more goods available for their domestic consumers. The segment of the economy that is being left out of their economic boom is the countryside. Rural China put the communists in power and may in the future drive them out.

The unbalanced nature of Chinese growth will cause considerable strains internally, and as been pointed out, the "surplus" population of young men will only aggrivate the problems. Since China really has no force projection capabilities like the West, I see that even if they attempt to export the problem by siezing Siberia or Tiawan, the most likely outcome would be internal unrest, and eventual disintigration. (Unless they are very careful).

This is actually the normal state of affairs in Chinese history, several competing states, eventual unification under a new dynasty followed by gradual disintigration back into competing states.

I think that in these new economic times, the strains between the affluent urban population and the poorer rural populations is going to accelerate the process. There's little tidbits here and there about the aspirations not being met, and I really can't see the central government being able to restrain the populace as they have in the past....communications being one of the biggest foe the government has.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Content/displayPrintable.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/26/wchina226.xml&site=5&page=0

Beijing secretly fires lasers to disable US satellites
By Francis Harris in Washington

(Filed: 26/09/2006)

China has secretly fired powerful laser weapons designed to disable American spy satellites by "blinding" their sensitive surveillance devices, it was reported yesterday.

The hitherto unreported attacks have been kept secret by the Bush administration for fear that it would damage attempts to co-opt China in diplomatic offensives against North Korea and Iran.

Sources told the military affairs publication Defense News that there had been a fierce internal battle within Washington over whether to make the attacks public. In the end, the Pentagon's annual assessment of the growing Chinese military build-up barely mentioned the threat.

"After a contentious debate, the White House directed the Pentagon to limit its concern to one line," Defense News said.

The document said that China could blind American satellites with a ground-based laser firing a beam of light to prevent spy photography as they pass over China.

According to senior American officials: "China not only has the capability, but has exercised it." American satellites like the giant Keyhole craft have come under attack "several times" in recent years.

Although the Chinese tests do not aim to destroy American satellites, the laser attacks could make them useless over Chinese territory.

The American military has been so alarmed by the Chinese activity that it has begun test attacks against its own satellites to determine the severity of the threat.

Satellites are especially vulnerable to attack because they have predetermined orbits, allowing an enemy to know where they will appear.

"The Chinese are very strategically minded and are extremely active in this arena. They really believe all the stuff written in the 1980s about the high frontier," said one senior former Pentagon official.

There has been increasing alarm in parts of the American military establishment over China's growing military ambitions.

Military experts have already noted that Chinese military expenditure is increasingly designed to challenge American military pre-eminence by investing in weaponry that can attack key systems such as aircraft carriers and satellites.

At the same time, China is engaged in a large-scale espionage effort against American high-tech firms working on projects such as the multibillion-pound DD(X) destroyer programme.

Several spy rings have been cracked and the FBI is increasing the number of counter-intelligence staff tracking the Chinese effort.

Information appearing on telegraph.co.uk is the copyright of Telegraph Group Limited and must not be reproduced in any medium without licence. For the full copyright statement see Copyright

China has engaged, it seems on attacks on recce assets.  (Equivalent to the hand-held laser attack by Russians on a jointly manned Canadian/US helicopter in the Straits of Juan de Fuca).
China has warned the US that if it shows up in the area with Non-Nuke PGM assets China will feel free retaliate with Nukes (apparently fearing that US has a strategic advantage with GPS PGMs that allow the US to do what it used to require Nukes to do in the past - This obviates the Mutually Assured Destruction theory potentially leaving China "defenseless" if it is restricted to a Non-Nuclear response.
China is/tried to become? involved in the Franco-European Galileo competitor to GPS.  Is it involved with the Russian system?  Regardless, lack of long range strike assets (beyond Bears, bought from Russia and similar to those intercepted off Alaska this week?) probably means that the Chinese, even with Galileo, can't pose the same strategic threat to others that others pose to it.  Operationally and Tactically, for their local domestic defensive battle or for regional battles they may find a use for it.  Strategically however, their greatest need/desire is to deny the use of GPS, as well as recce assets.
In Iraq there were rumours of the GPS system being spoofed.
In Yugoslavia the Chinese embassy was bombed with a US PGM "because the CIA couldn't read the date stamp on a 5 year old map" and the Embassy had moved.  This created quite a political coup for the Chinese at the US expense.

So beyond the obvious battle for public opinion - what is the state of the battle to prevent seeing the other side of the hill?  No "people" get killed (or few and none of them openly admitted?) only "robots".  The battle for the technological edge.

a_majoor said:
The unbalanced nature of Chinese growth will cause considerable strains internally, and as been pointed out, the "surplus" population of young men will only aggrivate the problems. Since China really has no force projection capabilities like the West, I see that even if they attempt to export the problem by siezing Siberia or Tiawan, the most likely outcome would be internal unrest, and eventual disintigration. (Unless they are very careful).

On the other hand the Chinese play a long game - and are likely to try and manage an internal problem that they can influence rather than rush to a confrontation with a foreign power that is too strong to be easily defeated.  Better, perhaps, to continue to undermine the opposition economically and politically so that they make the chance of victory that much more likely, preferably without having to engage in a military confrontation themselves.  Much better to have the opposition bleed fighting someone else thus keeping both parties weak.

This is actually the normal state of affairs in Chinese history, several competing states, eventual unification under a new dynasty followed by gradual disintigration back into competing states.

Isn't this the normal state of affairs of all tribes/nations/states/empires?  Littl'uns swallow littler until the become big.  Then the attract the attention of other big ones that exploit internal divisions.

I don't think the Chinese are doing anything that is outside the realm of normal statecraft.  They are just, IMO, agressively focused on a longer strategy that they can implement with fewer of the noisy distractions of democracy.

To back up one of Echo9’s problems and one of my solutions here is an article from yesterday’s (30 Sep 06) Globe and Mail re: the ongoing ICBC IPO.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060930.wcover30/BNStory/Business/home
The Chinese bank puzzle

SINCLAIR STEWART , TORONTO , AND GEOFFREY YORK and BEIJING

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

The world's largest IPO is still a month away, but Ding Qiang is already mapping out his strategy. It's not the money that's the problem — the veteran Beijing stock investor has more than $300,000 (U.S.) of his own cash waiting at the ready — but getting the opportunity to spend all of it.

China has been staging a series of progressively larger initial public offerings for its Big Four banks, and the attendant investor frenzy, some would say madness, is escalating in lockstep, conjuring images of the gold rush spawned by the Internet boom.

Hong Kong bank branches have resembled movie theatres on opening night, with lineups queuing out the door as hopeful investors jockey to buy shares. Such is the unabashed confidence in the prospects for these banks that one woman reportedly plowed three times her annual salary into Bank of China's $11.2-billion offering in June. China Merchants Bank, a smaller player, was so overwhelmed by the response to its $2.4-billion IPO this month that retail orders were oversubscribed by nearly 270 times.

Analysts are predicting this demand will reach even greater heights on Oct. 27, when Industrial & Commercial Bank of China launches what is expected to be a $19-billion IPO of its shares, beating the previous record set by Japan's NTT DoCoMo Inc. in 1998.

The febrile activity is easy enough to understand. The Chinese Economic Miracle is in full swing, and making a bet on the country's major banks is seen as one of the easiest ways to ride the wave. These are the institutions, after all, that are lending money to China's burgeoning industrial base, and that help to finance everything from new home purchases to the country's increasing need for foreign acquisitions. If you believe growth will continue at its double-digit clip, and that the country is serious about its privatization plans, the demand for Chinese banks stocks seems perfectly logical.

Lurking behind this infectious enthusiasm, however, is the bigger question of whether China's state-owned banks, riven as they have been by fraud, largesse, and hundreds of billions of dollars worth of bad loans, are stable enough to be foisted onto public shareholders. This is a country, despite its continuing reform efforts, where transparency remains dim, where ascertaining objective financial data can be an exercise in frustration, and where the state keeps a leaden hand even on the so-called "private" companies that have been spun off in the markets.

Few believe that these banks will collapse — the popular view is that Beijing has too much at stake to let that happen — or that the failure of one or two would incite an international financial crisis. Yet there are persistent concerns that the banks' well-rooted debt issues could rear their head during a recession and wreak some unanticipated havoc, not just with investors, but with China's increasingly important role in the global economy.

ICBC, because of its sheer size, looms as perhaps the biggest symbol of China's emerging promise.

China has traditionally favoured the Hong Kong stock exchange for IPOs of its state-run businesses, but now, for the first time, it will pursue a simultaneous listing on the Shanghai Stock Exchange, where it will sell about a quarter of ICBC's shares, providing mainland Chinese with a chance to get a piece of the action.

"We're all excited about the news," Mr. Ding said. "The Chinese economy has developed so fast, but until now the mainlanders had no way to enjoy the result of this fast development. But now China is trying to let us share in the economic results."

ICBC is the largest bank in the world's most populous country, with $815-billion in assets spread among about 18,000 branches. To give a sense of the sheer scale of the company, consider this: It has upwards of 150 million customers, or roughly five times the number of people who live in Canada. Analysts have crunched the numbers, and estimate that if demand is as heady as expected, ICBC will boast a market capitalization of around $180-billion. That's good enough for fourth-place worldwide, and about three times the size of Canada's biggest firm, Royal Bank of Canada.

In the eyes of investors, ICBC also comes with a guarantee of sorts, however implicit: That as the nerve centre of the Chinese financial system, its IPO-driven reformation is a "political task" the government cannot allow to fail.

"The main buyers in the mainland listing will be government-owned institutional investors, such as insurance companies and state investment companies," said Victor Shih, a political scientist at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., who specializes in the Chinese banking system.

"Under the current macroeconomic policies, those entities are under pressure to invest in 'safe' instruments, and ICBC shares would fall in this class. I have no reason to think that ICBC shares will not do well."

Zhiwu Chen, a professor of finance at the Yale School of Management, has seen the challenges of Chinese privatizations up close as an independent director of a handful of firms there. For him, China's decision to invite investors into its "Big Four" banks (ICBC, Bank of China, China Construction Bank, and, if it ever sorts out its problems, Agricultural Bank of China) is the only way to cure these institutions of their ills, and at the same time incite more profound political and economic change.

"The semi-privatizations have turned out to be the only way that the Chinese government can really shake things up and remove the entrenched interests in some of these state-owned banks," he said in a recent interview. "[The banks] will never be ready unless they are forced to take the challenge."

Not everyone is so certain. The chief issue dogging the sector is a residue of profligate, indiscriminate lending that left many banks saddled with staggering amounts of bad loans. For decades, banks functioned as thinly guised financing arms of the government, handing out money to all manner of state-owned enterprise.

"The big banks are junk," said Kent McCarthy, founder of U.S. hedge fund Jayhawk Capital Management LLC, which specializes in Asian securities. "They're less junky now than they were 10 years ago, but they'll still be junky 10 years from now."

Mr. McCarthy, a former Goldman Sachs banker in Hong Kong, described the valuations some of these banks enjoy as "ridiculous," and likened reading the prospectuses for their offerings to a "comedy show." While he acknowledged public shareholders should accelerate the pace of banking reform, he predicts there will be two or three painful blowups in the sector before it gets its house in order. "It's going to end badly," he promised. "We're in the 'nuts' stage — we're not at 'super-nuts.' This could be one of those things where they shoot up another 20 per cent or 30 per cent first."

In the mid-1990s, the soured loan problem was so crushing that China injected more than $60-billion into its main banks to keep them solvent. It also created asset management companies whose function was to siphon off more than $150-billion worth of bad loans from the Big Four's balance sheets.

The result, Chinese authorities say, is that non-performing loans at the Big Four have been winnowed down to just $133-billion. Yet there are more than a few skeptics who believe Beijing is radically understating the problem. Several analysts have estimated problem loans at between $400-billion and $600-billion. (Ernst & Young, which put the figure at $358-billion, retracted its projection after a sternly worded rebuke from Chinese authorities, and sanctioned the official estimates.)

"You can't blow up your balance sheet at 20 to 25 per cent a year and not incur a very substantial portion of bad loans," said Gordon Chang, an outspoken critic of China's debt problems and author of The Coming Collapse of China. "You can't do that with a well-managed bank in a well-regulated society. How the devil can you do it China? This is just ludicrous."

The U.S. investment banks advising on the IPOs stand to make a healthy profit. The fees themselves are very lucrative: a 2.5-per-cent cut on the ICBC offering alone will yield nearly half-a-billion dollars in commissions. The far bigger payoff could accrue to firms like Goldman Sachs, which in May injected $2.6-billion for a stake in ICBC. Analysts say that investment could easily double. China Construction Bank has gained 45 per cent since going public with a $9.2-billion offering last October, and China Commercial Bank rocketed 25 per cent on the first day of trading in Hong Kong last month.

"People are going to make money in the short term, but long term, these have got to be bad investments because the banks are not as solid as the government says they are," Mr. Chang insisted. "They've got better systems, they've got better computers, their offices look nice, all sorts of things. But these banks are essentially weaker than they were before. China is just piling up more and more non-performing loans, and eventually it's going to come crashing down, because economically this doesn't make any sense."

Last year, bank lending in China increased 9.7 per cent, and was up another 10.4 per cent in the first half of 2006 alone. At that pace, insist investors like Mr. McCarthy, China must be inhaling vast amounts of additional bad loans.

The government has said it is fully committed to reforming the sector on the eve of a massive deregulation set for the end of the year. That's when foreign banks can open branches across the country and offer local currency services.

But a cleanup of these banks will take more than commitment, analysts say. Beijing still faces the huge and time-consuming challenge of transforming the banking culture, re-educating staff, centralizing lending decisions, and learning how to market new products.

"There's definitely a 'China hype' story that's behind a lot of this," said Michael Pettis, a finance professor at Peking University and a director of the New York hedge fund Galileo. "It's linked to the excess of global liquidity, the huge amount of risk appetite and a tendency to focus on the positive, rather than the negative. China is one of the hottest areas of international interest, and there's perhaps an overexcitement about China investments."

Don't tell that to Mr. Ding. He's less worried by the pitfalls than by the ability to get his hands on $300,000 worth of ICBC shares. "I don't worry about the risks of investing in ICBC," he says. "Every bank has bad loans, but ICBC is the most powerful bank in China, with the biggest market share, and it is reforming continuously. Unlike other big Chinese banks, no big scandal has ever been reported at ICBC. Every rich person in the world would like to buy shares in Chinese banks."

First the problem: ICBC is more than just a really big, Big bank.  It has symbolic importance for Chinese and foreign investors alike.  It is also the conduit trough which much foreign investment passes – foreign investment which is absolutely, 100% critical to continued Chinese growth.  ICBC, like all Chinese banks, is riddled with corruption and is saddled with bad loans.  Either is a problem; both, together are dangers, maybe a real crisis in waiting.

The solution might lie in the huge size of the IPO and in some of the corruption.  $19 Billion is real money – even by Chinese standards.  It can give the bank some flexibility to write off some bad loans.  The unpalatable, sometimes crooked, always unhelpful level of central government interference might help if, Big IF, the centre can cook the books (of the companies with the bad debts) to make them less of a burden.

Although it is not true that the Chinese character for crisis ( wēijī ) is composed of danger and opportunity, there is no doubt that crises (and the problems of corruption and bad loans can, very fairly, be called one) can provoke essential reforms which can have long term benefits.

I remain an optimist, but a cautious one.  I believe this generation of Chinese leaders and businessmen – many people of my age and even more a bit younger – are well aware of the risks and of the path they must follow to retain the Red Dynasty’s power.

Back