• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview Tomorrow

Romanmaz said:
You can wear a bow tie and a fedora if you want, they are going to judge you on alote more then what you're wearing.

That's true, but your appearance is likely to play some part in it.

(By all means wear a fedora if you like, but take it off in the office!)

I wore a full suit, blazer, tie, dress shoes... the works.

The Captain said "You dressed up nice."
I responded, "figured it wouldn't hurt."
He laughed.

That was a good icebreaker. We talked casually and everything after that. Some may have worn jeans and a tshirt or suits. Personally, I saw this as a job interview for a career rather than an interview for a job like McDonalds or Rogers. I dressed to impress, that was my opinion, but seriously, judge your audience and dress accordingly.

Applied for Infantry NCM, and did excatly as Mudshuvel...suit, tie, the works.  The first thing the Sergeant said to me when he walked up was, "Glad to see someone taking this process seriously".

So no, a suit/tie/jacket is not necessary, but it's a job interview...it's never going to hurt, and might just set you that little bit apart from the next guy.

astecki said:
Applied for Infantry NCM, and did excatly as Mudshuvel...suit, tie, the works.  The first thing the Sergeant said to me when he walked up was, "Glad to see someone taking this process seriously".

So no, a suit/tie/jacket is not necessary, but it's a job interview...it's never going to hurt, and might just set you that little bit apart from the next guy.
I'm 6'5 with a shaved head, so I'm pretty hard to miss  ;D

I only had one interview, so I can't vouch for them all.  It started with "why do you want to be in the Canadian Forces?"  I replied with the usual; "I want to serve my country, Sir," "I'm hoping to go overseas and help people, Sir."  After a few minutes I was met with "no, why do YOU want to be in the Forces?"  I was brutally honest and mentioned the reasonable pay and job security that you won't find anywhere else. 

Try to look sharp.  I just dressed business casual; slacks and a dress shirt, no tie.  I was also told that I was the first candidate with a decent haircut in some time.  Try to look professional.  It might sound shallow, but I wouldn't hire some of the guys unless they gave a heck of an interview.

Any update from the OP?  My interview was a while ago now, so things may have changed a bit.  It sounds like they're getting tougher.

Confounded PAT said:
I only had one interview, so I can't vouch for them all.  It started with "why do you want to be in the Canadian Forces?"  I replied with the usual; "I want to serve my country, Sir," "I'm hoping to go overseas and help people, Sir."
After a few minutes I was met with "no, why do YOU want to be in the Forces?"  I was brutally honest and mentioned the reasonable pay and job security that you won't find anywhere else. 

Try to look sharp.  I just dressed business casual; slacks and a dress shirt, no tie.  I was also told that I was the first candidate with a decent haircut in some time.  Try to look professional.  It might sound shallow, but I wouldn't hire some of the guys unless they gave a heck of an interview.

Any update from the OP?  My interview was a while ago now, so things may have changed a bit.  It sounds like they're getting tougher.
Do you remember that non-disclosure you signed before the interview started?..... ::)

So I had my interview today.  Went with just plain dress pants and a dress shirt.  I don't own a blazer and hate ties, that being said I thought I looked fairly good.  My hair is always short and I'm clean shaven as well so that couldn't have hurt.  On the actual interview side of things I felt like they went really well and got some good feedback from the sergeant about my application/interview.  So now I hurry up and wait and hopefully the call from Ottawa comes at the same pace as the rest of my application process (very fast).  Good luck to everyone still in the process and don't be frightened by the interview.  So far everyone at the CFRC has been very nice and easy to talk to/with.

Back