• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence Officer / Operator

• Thread starter future_soldier
  • Start date
Hello, I am looking at the idea of a career as an Intelligence Officer. I'm graduating this summer with a B.A. with honors double major in history and geomatics and spatial analysis, I also have a handful of political science courses (I once considered doing a minor in that).

Im currently looking at this webpage: http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=82&bhcp=1

It says that as a DEO: "applicants must hold an undergraduate degree from an accredited Canadian university, preferably in one of the areas of study listed under “Qualification Requirements”. Proficiency in some foreign languages may be an asset."

However, in the .pdf file (monograph), it says: "DEO applicants must hold a Master degree from a from an accredited Canadian university, preferably in one of the areas of study listed under “Qualification Requirements”. Proficiency in some foreign languages may be an asset."

Why the difference?
Which one is accurate?
How often are DEO's accepted as an intelligence officer?

The website will never be as up to date as the folks in your Recruiting Centre. Go in or call and just ask.

i'm graduating soon with a degree in chemistry but i am considering a stint in the army. i initially wanted to be in the infantry but i have a feeling that i'd more suited/better as an intelligence officer. i speak three languages but not french, geopolitics is a passionate hobby of mine and i am an avid student of history (espcially military history). i am pretty fit and i have lived in many many places over my short life (22) including germany usa china. i believe these will all work for me if i join.

now knowing a little about my background how should i proceed? what kind of time scale am i look at in terms of training and starting work? how much say will i have in what i am being assigned as a job? what if i want to interrupt and get my master and do research in chemistry?

i am kind of adrift here but i'm sure the kind people here will point me in the right direction

i'm graduating soon with a degree in chemistry but i am considering a stint in the army. i initially wanted to be in the infantry but i have a feeling that i'd more suited/better as an intelligence officer. i speak three languages but not french, geopolitics is a passionate hobby of mine and i am an avid student of history (espcially military history). i am pretty fit and i have lived in many many places over my short life (22) including germany usa china. i believe these will all work for me if i join.

now knowing a little about my background how should i proceed? what kind of time scale am i look at in terms of training and starting work? how much say will i have in what i am being assigned as a job? what if i want to interrupt and get my master and do research in chemistry?

i am kind of adrift here but i'm sure the kind people here will point me in the right direction

well, if it's something you really want, I'd hop on it, living outside the country can cause delays in your application as they have to verify your whereabouts and security clearances and all that jazz.  Some of the more experienced folks here - and I believe there are a couple recruiters on here too - would be able to steer you in the right direction.

Good luck.

The best advice anyone gave me when applying included the following:

1) Visit the www.forces.ca website (which includes an online chat feature);
2) Talk to the local CFRC;
3) Search the forums because chances are, that your questions have already been answered (numerous times).

In response to your post, UoTJustin, you will probably have to have a pre-sec done and as someone who had to go through a pre-sec himself, the process of getting from applying to getting the pre-sec could take up to two years (from what the people at the CFRC told me). Fortunately for me, it took two months. It entirely depends on the countries you have visited, family members abroad etc. Your CFRC can you give you more detailed information. Hope that helps :) Good luck with your application and keep us posted!

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of completing my MA (Masters) in political science at the University of Toronto, and Im seriously considering applying for the Int O profession. While I have no formal military background, defense policy has been my primary interest throughout undergrad and graduate school. I've been reading through the posts on this forum over the past few days, and I was just wondering what the likelihood is that I will be accepted into this occupation through DEO even though I wont be coming from the ranks?

Pete H said:
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of completing my MA (Masters) in political science at the University of Toronto, and Im seriously considering applying for the Int O profession. While I have no formal military background, defense policy has been my primary interest throughout undergrad and graduate school. I've been reading through the posts on this forum over the past few days, and I was just wondering what the likelihood is that I will be accepted into this occupation through DEO even though I wont be coming from the ranks?

Hace you even bothered to look at the recruiting site?

Since I'm in a good mood, here is something from the recruiting site.

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
INT Officers must be selfless and dedicated team members and leaders, able to lead troops and follow orders in close support of headquarters or command staff of combat units. They must have initiative and be resourceful, have physical and mental stamina, good analytical skills, be able to perform multiple tasks under stress and in adverse circumstances, and work without supervision for extensive periods of time. They must have a good understanding of military operations in the world, both in peace and war, and excellent written and oral communication skills in both official languages.

INT Officers are normally required to have a university degree preferably in Economics, Geography, History, Imagery Science, Information Technology, International Studies, Journalism, Military and Strategic Studies, or Political Science.

Candidates must meet the CF medical standards and successfully complete a selection process consisting of interviews and a wide range of examinations.

The minimum security clearance required for Basic Intelligence Officer Course (BIOC) is Secret, but INT Officers must qualify for Top Secret, Special Assignment level clearance.

Entry Plans

Most candidates are selected from the Officer Occupational Transfer Program (OT), University Training Plan Non-Commissioned Members (UTPNCM), Special Commissioning Plan (SCP), and Commissioning from the Ranks (CFR). Applicants from the following programs may also be accepted:

Direct Entry Officer – DEO applicants must hold an undergraduate degree from an accredited Canadian university, preferably in one of the areas of study listed under “Qualification Requirements”. Proficiency in some foreign languages may be an asset.

Yes I have looked at the site, but I also know how competitive this occupation is. Even though I do meet the physical and academic pre-requisites, I will be applying DEO so I will not have the combat arms expertise that many experienced members have. Im just wondering how competitive my application will be in comparison.

Pete H said:
Yes I have looked at the site, but I also know how competitive this occupation is. Even though I do meet the physical and academic pre-requisites, I will be applying DEO so I will not have the combat arms expertise that many experienced members have. Im just wondering how competitive my application will be in comparison.

Please visit the CFRC and discuss this with them.

Personaly speaking, i would say that applying and see where it takes you, is the only way to get an idea how competitive you would be.

I have searched army.ca all morning and can't find a single bit of useful information.  I have searched "Int O" Int Officer" "Intelligence Officer" "Intelligence" and read everything that seems relevant but nothing is. 

I know I have previously found information about the trade, but damned if I can find anything now.  I am looking for some no BS answers to what an junior INT O can expect to do while on tour.  

I have been interested in this trade, but find the information slightly ambiguous.  I am specifically wondering if Int O's are in charge of interrogations, as I'm not sure that is a role that I am comfortable with.

SO anyone that can give me an idea of what a junior Int O can expect to do while on tour would be great.  Thank you. 

I would say paperwork.

The would take all the intel that is coming in and compile them to produce reports which then gets sent higher.

interrogation.jpg

This makes you uncomfortable?  ;D

I am not an Int O, nor do I portray one on television, so I won't tell you what they do. And I imagine any specifics they would have, they still couldn't tell you. Could always go off what the recruiting file says they do.

I do however know that Tactical Questioning and Interrogation is something that is taken seriously, and that there are checks and balances.

So if you're concerned about being in charge of a waterboarding or anything, this might alleviate your conscience:

CONSTRAINTS ON INTERROGATION AND TACTICAL QUESTIONING
1. PW shall be treated humanely.
2. No physical or mental torture, nor any other form of coercion, may be inflicted on PW to secure from
them information of any kind whatever. PW who refuse to answer may not be threatened, insulted, or
exposed to unpleasant or disadvantageous treatment of any kind.

~B-GJ-005-110/FP-020 - Prisoner of War Handling Detainees and Interrogation & Tactical Questioning in International Operations

Int Officers do Int work.  As the junior, you will help the Int O to conduct "IPOE" (Intelligence Preparation of the Operational Environment")  In other words, help "them" do the estimate as you induce and deduce "factors Enemy"

And, as a junior officer anywhere, you may be sent to get coffee.  Usually to get you out of the room while other discussions are going on that you shouldn't be privvy to.

I just finished my basic training in Kingston this month and I am applying to join the regular force..interested in becoming an intelligence officer. I had a university degree already. and I wonder what kinds of training would be in the future? Where and for how long? And what would it be like for me in the next three years? and where would I be likely to work?(ottawa?)..any info regarding pursuing it as a career are welcome! Thanks!

You're gonna get dogpiled and this will get locked, but I'll give you a few quick links.

This is a google search of 'Intelligence Officer' on this site, because the site's built in search is crap, and;

Here is the recruiting page for the trade.

All this information is readily out there. Next time, search. If you intend to be an Int O, learning how to dig up easily accessible information for yourself would be a good start.

Welcome to army.ca

Although it does appear that being an intelligence officer is "readily available" its not the case.  I too am in the process of joining as an officer an intel was my first pick.  I was however informed that its not really a position available for direct entry.  It would in fact require three years experience and then an OT to intel.  Upon receipt of this info I decided to choose a trade which involved a lot of recce (armour, arty, inf) choosing one of those trades, if possible, would increase your chances for intel officer.  I decided with arty officer and im waiting for my call!  Everyone feel free to correct me if this information is flawed.

Mods please relocate to a more suitable forum if applicable:

This is a difficult question and requires a little background first. I am 26, a reservist from a combat arms unit with three years in. I have no operational experience but am PLQ qualified. I want to component transfer to the Regs and go ROTP. My goal is to become an intelligence officer. I know the selection is tough. I have directed my degree towards this goal (Ba in International Relations, with a focus on security and strategy) and in the process of learning my third language. I have been told the odds of me being selected for Int-Officer for ROTP are slim. Therefore I want to know what trade I could take up in order to better my chances for a remuster down the road? I am hoping after 5 years in whatever trade that may be I will be able to remuster to Int. What can I do to improve my chances? I know all the basics such as good grades, languages,  performance and potentially a grad degree but it is very difficult to get information on the kind of people who become eligible for this trade. I have even considered contacting a PSO. Any information or direction is greatly appreciated!!

Hi Cowboy, you could consider going ROTP and just doing the best you can. I'm at RMC now, and was told when I enrolled in 2008 that I couldn't get Int O, as it was full or something. So, when we had trade interviews last May, Int O was my second choice, as I thought it was still not available. I got it though, as did some of my friends, so maybe it's not as closed as it seems. As far as I have seen, good grades (difficult to maintain here due to all the other things you have to do on top of your academics), fitness, and generally good attitude and excellent personal behavior seem to be common traits among those who got int. It could also depend on your element - of the six I know, three are air force, two are army, and one is navy. So, good luck, and with any luck, you'll get the trade too!

Back