• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Instructor language at BMQ

techie

Inactive
Reaction score
Ive read and heard that the way that the instructors can speak to you on your bmq has been restricted a lot over the years. No swearing, no "picking" on recruits, etc. How restriced are they?

Sometimes it just depends on weather, some days are good, some bad and some worst. But after every storm we seem to remember the good weather only......
Be the sole judge, things and words are perceived differently by people in general.
Good luck, you will find it is not that bad.
:)

oh, im not worried about it, i just dont want them to coddle us.

Well since I just finished my first week of BMQ...

They yell a lot and swear but times have changed and there is no more physical tormenting (i.e. kicking your gear around, etc)

Hope that helps.

P.S. BMQ is a breeze after the 3rd day

no more physical tormenting (i.e. kicking your gear around, etc)

Oh, they kick your gear around, it all depends on your staff. For example on my SQ, one MCpl practically destroyed a tent because somebody laughed, filled up buddies tac-vest pockets with sand because a pocket was open, etc. I've had other staff that would open up and place your canteen upside down in your tac-vest if it wasn't full for inspection, or knock over your cot (with detail stripped weapon) if you squirmed during inspection (sometimes into the canteen water that was spilled for it not being full).

Seeing as you're only on your first week of BMQ, I would sit tight and wait, you're instructors will start giving you cock like that eventually. If you don't get it there, wait until SQ/DP1.

I was told by my MCpl that physical abuse was no longer permitted in the CF which is why he wasn't doing anything of the sort.

Also, once you get used to it, it is a breeze, and this I have been told by not only my section MCpl and Cpl, but also our Lieutenant and Captain a few times.

Phsycial abuse would refer to physical assualts upon your person. I'm not familiar of a regulation that prohibits tossing your room, upending kit or generally creating a mess as a way of showing irritation at your turnout on inspection. That being said, I may simply be ignorant of a rule stating exactly that.

You will find that much is dependant upon the actual personality of your instructor. I've always personally been more intimidated by those who only need to use words in a low voice to make their displeasure clear. The instructors I've had who were screamers, or who tended to toss kitt around were often the same ones who in retrospect after a few years in seem to have been perhaps of less certain quality as leaders- not incompetent, don't get me wrong, but not the 'natural leader' type you hope to work under. That's not a hard and fast rule by any means, but in my (admittedly still limited) experience, the most confident and effective instructors don't need to pull any of those games to get the troops to shape up.

Now and then you'll get an instructor who seems bafflingly bipolar. The unpredictable ones can be the worst. Just remember that it's all a game that you play by their rules, and that none of it is personal. Keep that in mind and you'll get through just fine. I've never found anything on course that genuinely necessitates getting stressed out, beyond the normal physical and mental fatigue and irritation at petty injustices.

KeWLKaT said:
I was told by my MCpl that physical abuse was no longer permitted in the CF which is why he wasn't doing anything of the sort.

Destroying you gear is not physical abuse.......

Also, once you get used to it, it is a breeze, and this I have been told by not only my section MCpl and Cpl, but also our Lieutenant and Captain a few times.

The few days you have in the military give you just a little more than zero credibility.  One day when you are all grown up, you will be able to tell people if it was a breeze or not.

One that note good luck on BMQ and any subsequent training you go on.

Well, thanks for the good luck note I guess and you're right, I have no credibility, but everybody starts somewhere, right? At least I'm giving positive advice rather than negative thoughts  8)

Yes, they can still toss your kit around. Just as an example, if your bed isn't to standard, they will flip it and everything ontop of it, including field stripped C7 and the whole lot. Think of it this way, some young flat faced no hook private like myself, am I going to be more motivated if they don't touch my faults or if I they throw my stuff and force me to fix them? No names, no pack drill but I have been places where for example they tell you your DEU shirts need more work, 2 days later they come by to inspect again, you've done no work and they tell you you have outstanding DEU shirts! Happened on more than one occasion to by honest..

Don't doubt the platoon staff, pretty much all of them have a rulebook stuck up their arse from the amount of TI they have. They know what they can and cannot do, they also know what you can and cannot do, and will be along shortly to tell you when you break the rules.. So don't worry about petty stuff like inspections, most Sgts and MCpls only do them because some with a crown is telling them to!

Worry around the important stuff... drill, weapons, learning to love your rucksack so it will love you back. The military is nothing like basic or SQ, once you get out of there it will become much more relaxed. Basic is just there to weed out the weak, lame and lazy.

Hoover said:
No names, no pack drill but I have been places where for example they tell you your DEU shirts need more work, 2 days later they come by to inspect again, you've done no work and they tell you you have outstanding DEU shirts! Happened on more than one occasion to by honest..

Hmmm....noted. Obviously never were inspected by any of my peers or superiors.    ::)

Don't doubt the platoon staff, pretty much all of them have a rulebook stuck up their arse from the amount of TI they have. They know what they can and cannot do, they also know what you can and cannot do, and will be along shortly to tell you when you break the rules..

Of that you can rest well assured.    ;)

So don't worry about petty stuff like inspections, most Sgts and MCpls only do them because some with a crown is telling them to!

Ummm no. We do it because how in the blazes are we supposed to turn a flat faced civvie into a soldier without checking on every aspect of your kit, dress and deportment?

If we didn't...I could only guess the state of your kit and how you would perform under stress of say, oh I don't know....battle.

There is a purpose to these inspections besides screwing around with you and your coursemates. Ensuring that your kit is in good, clean. serviceable condition is the big one.

Also ensuring that you get in the habit of paying attention to details right off the get go. How are you going to soldier if you can even grasp the basics of having a well turn out for an inspection?

A small tear in say, oh I don't know, combat pants can turn them irreparable quickly and you are down a set in the field when all you needed to do was sew them up. A crack in your gas mask that you knew about for the past 3 weeks and here it comes.....it's a dull yellow and people are puking....and you're next because of a leaky mask that could have been replaced if you took the time....

Get the idea yet?

This stuff isn't invented to humour the DS and make their day during a coffee break. It is needed and it is also time tested.

If it works....don't change it.

If you clean your kit and find small defects it can and probably will, in a theater like Afghanistan, save your life.

Worry around the important stuff... drill, weapons, learning to love your rucksack so it will love you back. The military is nothing like basic or SQ, once you get out of there it will become much more relaxed.

Wow....an you're the expert are ye? It never ends....and more performance is expected of you the higher you climb.

Can't get the basics down pat? You won't last too long.....the Forces won't waste the rations on ya anymore.

Basic is just there to weed out the weak, lame and lazy.

As is SQ, PLQ, DP2, DP3....it never ends troops.

Take note guys and gals. When we inspect you....it's litterally for your benefit, and not ours.

Regards

KeWLKaT said:

Didn't you just say you have only completed Week 1?

Question then is how do you know what Week 2 is like even?

nice to see you reply, and mention they don't kick your gear around, but...don't offer advice to people in you don't have the experience maybe.  Apparantly, if you are correct, after the 3rd day, everyone can slack off and go home until Grad?

See where I am going?  YOU have 10 weeks left.  Why don't you just see if you make it first, then you can brag about how easy it is.

My 2 cents.

I'm with kewlkat in the BQM 0607 at St-Hyacinthe. First of, we are not part of the regular army.. it's a reserve course so the BMQ is only 4 week. What he meant is that, the first 2-3 days are the hardest since we are not used to it. All he meant is that after 3 days u start forgetting bout how it was at home and start getting used to the stress they put on u .. We're not slacking off, it's just we're starting to know what to expect better and better.

BMQ was hard? I didn't get any coffee for the first THREE days, I think I need a shrink to get over it. BMQ was vaguely annoying, SQ was at least a bit of a challenge. The worse the course the sweeter the memories.

P.S. One of my buddies on BMQ was lazy about cleaning his weapon. If you think you can get a grouping after clearing stoppages you are dreaming, he almost failed his shoot. That weapon is your life. Less time on your boots, more time on that rifle. And if someone sees you putting the muzzle in the dirt I hope they stomp on you.

Hoover said:
So don't worry about petty stuff like inspections, most Sgts and MCpls only do them because some with a crown is telling them to!

Worry around the important stuff... drill, weapons, learning to love your rucksack so it will love you back. The military is nothing like basic or SQ, once you get out of there it will become much more relaxed. Basic is just there to weed out the weak, lame and lazy.

+1 (atleast) to all that Recce By Death said.  Only not so nice, and while you are in a pushup position.

Honestly, I don't get you young troops.  Nothing is hard eh?  BMQ is a joke. Blah blah blah.

Offering all of your advice on here, like you got some great experience.  Telling new(er) people 3 days into Basic and its a joke. Christ.

I HONESTLY have issued gitch's (thats underwear) that have more T.I. than all of you "BMQ Commandos" put together, I did Cornwallis in '89 (how old were YOU in July 1989 when I was doing my Basic??) and I never say the crap you troops do about BMQ.  I bet if I talked to your Course Staff, or took a look at your Weekly Assessments or Course Report, I wouldn't see "Pte Bloggins, after 3 days, knows it all and is ready to assume the duties of Company Sgt-Major.

There are folks on this forum that have been soldiering since before you were alive.  Those are the ones with "the crowns" and such that can and do have real world advice, or like the troops that have been operational before, and no, your BMQ field ex is NOT operational.

If your expertise comes from watching Band of Brothers, or you don't have a 2nd chevron up, you should STFU and listen to NCO's like Recce By Death.  Someone who has been there, done that, has the T shirt, and doesn't need to brag about it.

Hoover, basic is not there to just weed out the weak.  Moreover, define weak.  Mentally?  Physically?  What part of the course were you the weak link in?  Sewing?  Ironing?  Modesty?

Basic training is there to begin the transition between civilian and military life.  To see if you are suited to the military, and the military to you.  To begin teaching you attention to detail, physical and mental constitution, teamwork, loyalty, service and selflessness, and many more things.  If you have already completed it, you should know that.  Perhaps you just thought it was about petty things like your rucksack and crap like that.

Know your role.  Stay in your lane.

I think you guys are over reacting just a tad bit. All I am doing is giving words of encouragement for people to read. It seems that you are striving for keeping the image that BMQ is hard and will destroy not only the PVT that just got enrolled, but also the entire universe around him... It's not the case... Military is hard, not for everyone, but is not that unattainable ideal that society is trying to give to it. Even our instructors at BMQ0607 at St-Hyacinthe are telling us the exact same thing to keep us up, with our Lieutenant himself saying that most of the recruits still present during his speach will most probably succeed.

All I was saying is that the ''cultural shock'' as they say is on the first few days, you get used to it, and it becomes easier for one in the MENTAL way. The physical training and the theory comes in big quantities, you have to run, push up, study, drill, a LOT. Though, it's much more ''takeable'' after, say, your 4th or 5th day, than on the first day. That's what I'm saying. By a ''breeze'' I wasn't just implying that it was completely easy and a waste of time. It has to be understood that I was just referring to the schedule itself and the way of life, after you understand and assimilate the routine, you can start learning and finding it somewhat fun. You have to learn to read between the lines.

KeWLKaT said:
It seems that you are striving for keeping the image that BMQ is hard and will destroy not only the PVT that just got enrolled, but also the entire universe around him... It's not the case...

Never said that.  And by the way, its Pte, not PVT.  "A" for effort though.

Military is hard, not for everyone, but is not that unattainable ideal that society is trying to give to it.

I am not society, and I never, nor did Recce By Death, say it was unattainable.  Its Basic Training, not the friggin' Ranger course or Patrol Pathfinder course, or SAR Tech or something.  BUT its not " a breeze " like you were saying after 3 whole days on course.

All I was saying is that the ''cultural shock'' as they say is on the first few days, you get used to it, and it becomes easier for one in the MENTAL way. The physical training and the theory comes in big quantities, you have to run, push up, study, drill, a LOT. Though, it's much more ''takeable'' after, say, your 4th or 5th day, than on the first day. That's what I'm saying. By a ''breeze'' I wasn't just implying that it was completely easy and a waste of time. It has to be understood that I was just referring to the schedule itself and the way of life, after you understand and assimilate the routine, you can start learning and finding it somewhat fun.

Really?  Wow.  Thanks for clearing up stuff like that.  ::)

You have to learn to read between the lines.

Or...perhaps you need to post clearly, with a better desciption of your meaning.  My crystal ball is broken, and people with no military time at all with get bad information from your posts. 

Good luck with your training, in all seriousness, but, you need to realize what you say on here can and/or will be taken literally by some people.  Then when they get to BMQ and AREN'T finding it that easy after Day 4...get it?

Good. 

OK, listen in for a second, I wasn't going for the wind up but apparently that is what I got. Yes, basic was hard for some people. SQ even harder for others. I found them both very easy and probably got the most COCK of the course. Bragging... no, it's just a fact of life. I've completed the whole course.. the reason it's easy, because there is no reprecussions, if you screw up all you get is a written warning, there is no physical punishment (rucksack runs, etc). Everyone has a different acceptance for harshness, for pain, for punishment, but that is what keeps troops motivated to do better, is the consequences.

Alright, I guess I got myself ''cleared up'' enough so I won't have to continue this argument. I don't like to stir crap around therefore I will stop right there.

Cheers  :D

:cdn:

Back