• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Inquiry about Reserve to Regular in reference to protocols

Stukov

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

I understand that, using the American Military for example, you must swear/affirm into the Military each time you want to start a new contract with the military after it expires ( if you choose to re-enlist). Now, does the Canadian Forces have a similar policy where you must swear/affirm in again if you wish to renew your contract or say, you transfer from Reserve to Regular?

Thank you,

Stukov said:
Hi there,

I understand that, using the American Military for example, you must swear/affirm into the Military each time you want to start a new contract with the military after it expires ( if you choose to re-enlist). Now, does the Canadian Forces have a similar policy where you must swear/affirm in again if you wish to renew your contract or say, you transfer from Reserve to Regular?

Thank you,

When I did my transfer from reserve to reg a year ago, I did not swear in again.  There was no break in service though for me, as I ended my reserve contract one day and started my reg the next day.  It was simply a case of me going into CFRC and signing all of my paperwork.  I could see this being different if there was a break in time though.

Now to throw this question into the air through my own curiosity, say you affirmed into the Canadian Forces, but a while later you change Faith and you wanted to reinforce that by swearing in. Would this be possible? Or say you swore in and your Faith changes, can you request to affirm in?

Edit: Spelling

Stukov said:
Now to throw this question into the air through my own curiosity, say you affirmed into the Canadian Forces, but a while later you change Faith and you wanted to reinforce that by swearing in. Would this be possible? Or say you swore in and your Faith changes, can you request to affirm in?

Edit: Spelling
At swearing in, one always has the option to do a "solemn affirmation", which is pretty secular, Instead of swearing in the presence of your religious deity.

Once you're sworn in, your oath to the crown is still valid, regardless of changing of faith. You are swearing allegiance to the crown, and not to whatever religious deity you happened to believe in at the time. If you wanted to re-swear in while you're in... who knows, I don't think I've heard of this being done... perhaps some kind of arrangement to re-swear allegiance WRT your new faith could be done with your CO through your padre.

Definitely an interesting question. Has this ever happened?

Back